U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:49 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 11,757,156 times

Advertisements

Interesting post. I guess the grass is always greener. And while I'm on the cliches, be careful what you wish for! Rapid growth is not all it's cracked up to be and comes with its own unique set of problems. IMO, Houston has 10 or 20 years of not so smart or beautiful growth to make up for, so it's about time. I'm half-heartedly searching for a smaller city with a slower pace, less transience and fewer transplants.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 09:57 AM

9,353 posts, read 17,854,607 times
WAAAAAAY more than 10-20 years........

Old 04-07-2009, 05:00 PM

1,986 posts, read 1,551,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It's all about the city leadership. The people who are elected are either too busy trying to please everyone so they do nothing (the coliseum) or they're only interested in how a given vote will enrich them personally. Have you ever noticed how many council members are related to the insurance and real estate business? Based on their records, those men and women care only about their self-interests. Until we get a new wave of leadership, nothing will happen here.

Thats the truth ,, I am glad someone finally said this ........ I am in Waco for the near future because my husband is with L-3 . CC was my home for many years and I miss it but my husband is not a native and he never wants to go back and likes WACO better ........lol GROSS ,, but really it says something about the leadership of CC that it could possibly make waco look better to someone considering quality of life and income .

Old 04-08-2009, 01:22 PM

422 posts, read 1,180,838 times
I always enjoy going down to Corpus. However, they need to capitalize being near the ocean. Maybe look towards San Diego as a model to go by. Is the Lexington still down there? As far as Waco goes, it's not a bad place and is making some great progress towards becoming a good place to live.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:44 PM

245 posts, read 739,886 times
Voters turned out in great numbers and sent a real messages that they're sick of seeing the city stagnant. A new set of leaders has been ushered in with a new, progressive mayor. I think the best days are ahead for CC. It's already a great place and is currently seeing a lot of development for such a slow economic period. I think the next 10 years are going to be crucial.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:19 AM

5,359 posts, read 10,242,551 times
Why are you all so concerned with growth?

Growth for the sake of Growth is the operating theme of a Cancer Cell.

Why not focus on Quality instead of Quantity?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:54 AM

245 posts, read 739,886 times
Exactly. Let's improve on what we already have before we "explode with growth". That way we don't end up like Houston.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:08 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,601,680 times
From my experience it's Austin, not Houston, that has had problems keeping up with the growth as far as infrastructure, etc.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:04 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,790,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
From my experience it's Austin, not Houston, that has had problems keeping up with the growth as far as infrastructure, etc.
That is exactly what I was thinking as well. Houston is shaping up very nicely. Of course there is going to be a lot of sprawl though. It is such a huge city. The 2 million plus people that live in the actual city limits live in such a densly packed, small area. Houston itself is not sprawly. CC is sprawlier than Houston proper. Houston is 3 or 4 times denser than CC. One thing Houston does need to work on though is either a light rail system or subway system.

CC's infrastructure is ready for growth. One thing I do think CC needs though is to do something about Saratoga. We need another freeway running from SPID south past Saratoga closer to the Flour Bluff area. I'd say something like turning Rodfield into a freeway before it gets to late and there will be no more room. Because once that area is filled in from Airline to Flour Bluff, that area is going to be a hell of a lot more of a mess than what it already is. Thats my two cents.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:13 PM

808 posts, read 3,368,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
That is exactly what I was thinking as well. Houston is shaping up very nicely. Of course there is going to be a lot of sprawl though. It is such a huge city. The 2 million plus people that live in the actual city limits live in such a densly packed, small area. Houston itself is not sprawly. CC is sprawlier than Houston proper. Houston is 3 or 4 times denser than CC. One thing Houston does need to work on though is either a light rail system or subway system.

CC's infrastructure is ready for growth. One thing I do think CC needs though is to do something about Saratoga. We need another freeway running from SPID south past Saratoga closer to the Flour Bluff area. I'd say something like turning Rodfield into a freeway before it gets to late and there will be no more room. Because once that area is filled in from Airline to Flour Bluff, that area is going to be a hell of a lot more of a mess than what it already is. Thats my two cents.
Houston is twice as dense as CC, which would not be the case if CC's city limits did not include the primarily undeveloped land between Leopard St and 37 west of Corn Products and east of Rand Morgan Rd and other undeveloped land in other areas of the city. I would estimate that, with taking the undeveloped land out of the equation, Houston proper is about 1.35 times denser than CC proper.

Houston is working on a light rail system; part of it is already open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or