U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:49 PM

245 posts, read 739,886 times

Advertisements

I thought Houston had a light rail system. Good for them. Hopefully CC will jump on this sooner rather than later. I believe a light rail system is part of an overall plan but nothing definite has been announced.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 09:55 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 436,183 times
I dunno, I think CC has done some decent things in the past 10-20 years. A few that come to mind:

- Whataburger Field
- Solomon Ortiz Center
- Expansion of the art museum
- American Bank Center
- Raising of the causeway out to the Island
- Extension of Crosstown Expressway
- Aquarium
- Lexington
- Fixing up north beach and the downtown beach
- Benches and miradors on Ocean Drive.

I think the real tricky, make-or-break-it situtation is the bayfront. It is under utilized and under developed. However, I would rather have it stay that way than have a Landry's Kema type of development. CC needs to have the initiative to develop the Bayfront (see: San Antonio's Riverwalk). It kills me that the two t-head restaurants are both chain restaurants, but were once locally owned.

I definitely agree that growth for growth's sake is, as one poster put it, akin to a cancer. There is definitely room for improvements in CC, though. And there *have* been improvements over the years. All is not hopeless!

Old 04-19-2009, 03:32 PM

I totally agree. The city has changed for the better in the last 5-10 years. A lot more entertainment options. Awesome venues. Now the streets are finally being fixed and the shopping scene is about to improve 10 fold. All is good in CC and I predict it's only the beginning. Luckily we've been able to learn from the mistakes of other cities so we can plan a great vibrant city that is not just one big mess.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 AM

16,079 posts, read 38,003,088 times
I did make a visity to Corpus Christi thinking it was this amazing best kept secret...warmer climate, on the Gulf, etc.

But seeing CC...all of the oil refiners...and most of the city is quite run down...it is really just the houses on the ocean or very close to the ocean that are REALLY nice...I also quite liked the feel of the downtown, so I don't know it can be developed more.

I think the worst part is the entrance/exit going in and out of CC...seeing all the factories and the smoke going over the highway doesn't give or leave people with the best of impressions.

However, this thread does continue to confirm for me how great Houston is

Old 04-20-2009, 04:49 PM

Every city has their "not so pretty side". It depends on how you enter the city. If you're driving in from Houston, the view is amazing driving over the Harbor Bridge. The skyline, the water. One of the best entrances to a city I've ever seen. While I-37 is not pretty, it isn't the only way into the city. Houston, Dallas, SA, Austin. They all have particular routes into the city that are less than impressive.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:04 AM

37 posts, read 88,124 times
Default No, Sorry, Not Until The Citizens of CC Revolt and Declare a Revolution !

:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or