U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:57 PM

808 posts, read 3,351,474 times

Advertisements

I found the following story on the Gulf Clipper from 2008:

Pier 99 to restore boat,use it as waiting area
According to a Mike Baird column in the Caller-Times onDec 17, 2007, the Gulf Clipper may make a final voyageto a restaurant resting place.Following is Baird’s report: The Gulf Clipper, asightseeing boat constructed in 1946, soon could sit inthe shadow of the Lexington Museum on the Bay dry-docked at Pier 99. Since earlier this year, the nowderelict 250-passenger open-deck cruiser has beenteetering in the breeze in front of a couple's Marina DelSol condominium. Elinor McCoin and Ed Grove con-tacted the Troubleshooter in April concerned that agusty storm might loft the 65-foot vessel into theirliving room.Dan Judson, who owns the condo complex marinawhere the Gulf Clipper has been moored, bought theboat in September 2006 after Corpus Christi MunicipalMarina officials pressed to have it moved because ofsafety concerns. After failed sales to two out-of-statebuyers, Judson has struck a deal with Mike Astin,owner of Pier 99 Restaurant. The boat will be moved atthe first of the year, Judson said, to be used as apermanent nautical attraction at the Corpus ChristiBeach eatery and pub.Initial plans submitted to the city for permits show theboat will be grounded on the south side of an open-airdining area at the back of the restaurant, where it willbe used as a waiting area. The goal is to restore thevessel to its original luster, said Astin, who hopes tohave it in place by spring break. The application Astinsubmitted in September notes the vessel will be usedonly as a waiting area for dining guests, and it will befree to visitors and restaurant patrons. Stephanie Voss,project manager with the city, said engineering issuesneed to be resolved before permits are approved.”

I apologize for the formatting; the full story can be found at North Beach News (go to page 2)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 569 times
I worked restoring this boat in 1978, and when it was done I served as a deck hand during charters. I lived and slept on this boat at the 3 T heads, and bathed daily in the gulf, for most of that summer. One of the best times in my life!

Old 08-01-2017, 01:36 PM

6 posts, read 3,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwilling1 View Post
I worked restoring this boat in 1978, and when it was done I served as a deck hand during charters. I lived and slept on this boat at the 3 T heads, and bathed daily in the gulf, for most of that summer. One of the best times in my life!
That's great buddy, but this thread is 8 years old....

Old 08-02-2017, 11:20 AM

367 posts, read 1,072,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Capp View Post
That's great buddy, but this thread is 8 years old....
... but memories last a lifetime. Some of us are former residents of Corpus and enjoy reading about times gone by - shouldn't really matter how old the thread is.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:03 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,813,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
... but memories last a lifetime. Some of us are former residents of Corpus and enjoy reading about times gone by - shouldn't really matter how old the thread is.
I second that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi