Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 07:43 AM

21 posts, read 23,470 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Coastal area of Texas. Which area/neighborhoods do you think are best for families? We are looking at North Padre Island,Port Aransas, and Rockport. Looking to buy in the 300,000 range.
Thanks in advance for any tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 03:56 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,337 times
Anywhere on the island within the city limits of Corpus is good. The only downfall to living on the island, is that there is no grocery store and there is no high school. Port A is small, so I couldn't imagine there being anywhere to stay away from. The only downfall to Port A is there are only two ways to get off the island; going all the way around down to the causeway in Corpus, or waiting forever during the summer months on the ferry.

As far as Rockport goes, I couldn't help you there. I know there are a lot of nice areas, but there is also a lot of methamphetamine that runs through the Rockport-Fulton area.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Anywhere on the island within the city limits of Corpus is good. The only downfall to living on the island, is that there is no grocery store and there is no high school. Port A is small, so I couldn't imagine there being anywhere to stay away from. The only downfall to Port A is there are only two ways to get off the island; going all the way around down to the causeway in Corpus, or waiting forever during the summer months on the ferry.

As far as Rockport goes, I couldn't help you there. I know there are a lot of nice areas, but there is also a lot of methamphetamine that runs through the Rockport-Fulton area.
Thank you, I really appreciate the tips!

Old 05-29-2017, 09:08 AM

738 posts, read 765,288 times
Where are you working? Any kid activities you want to be near? Island, Port A, and Rockport are pretty isolated compared to the rest of the city. 300k will also get you something nice along Santa Fe and Alameda.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post
Where are you working? Any kid activities you want to be near? Island, Port A, and Rockport are pretty isolated compared to the rest of the city. 300k will also get you something nice along Santa Fe and Alameda.
Hi, no I am not working...still home with children. Wanted to be close by the water, we all love the ocean. Santa Fe & Alameda are those areas in Corpus(city) or the Island?
Thank you for the advice

Old 05-31-2017, 09:10 PM

738 posts, read 765,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri1234 View Post
Hi, no I am not working...still home with children. Wanted to be close by the water, we all love the ocean. Santa Fe & Alameda are those areas in Corpus(city) or the Island?
Thank you for the advice
Santa Fe and Alameda run parallel to Ocean Drive on the Bayfront in town. Just so you know the Island is in Corpus Christi as is most of Mustang Island. In terms of water Island has the Gulf beaches and some access to the Laguna Madre for fishing. Flour Bluff has very good Laguna Access. Ocean Drive Downtown and North Beach have the bay beaches and good sailing. The yacht club Downtown has a sailing coach who does public lessons for kids and adults. All of them have at least one good spot for windsurfing or parasailing. If you live on the Island make sure you have a hurricane evacuation plan and don't have any valuables that you must keep that take more than an hour or two to pack up in your car.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:07 AM

Thank you!!

Old 06-02-2017, 08:57 AM

712 posts, read 841,995 times
You need to spend some time there before you BUY something. Grew up there and still visit often > 50 yrs.
To add to above posts:
'Beach' areas;
Laguna Madre 'stinks'; yes, it 'smells' - most of the year long. Thing twice before settling anywhere just north (downwind) of it; (winds are from the south most of year long). The 'best' quality water/beach is the island (ocean facing), like Port A and nearby; bayfront is 2nd (ocean drive) , and laguna madre is distant 3rd (flour bluff).
Tip - the 'quality' of water/beaches here is 'average' and living directly on it year-round is not for most (unless you savor 'smelling like a fish' 24/7/365 , and often, a 'rotten' fish smell; it WILL grate on you, unless you're captin hook!). Read up about jelly-fish and man-o-war.

City/Residential;
most of the newer/better homes/developments for families are south of Saratoga Blvd; -yes, a bit away from the water, but very close to shopping/schools/'civilization'.

Restaurants are 'average' at best; kinda sad, but I can get better seafood in DALLAS than I can back 'home' on the coast (CC). And local seafood is NOWHERE close to what you can get on California coast ... But redfish and trout (and shrimp) are quite tasty if you can catch your own (fresh) and cook correctly!

In a nutshell, for last couple decades, our 'favorite' is to book a week or two at MAYAN PRINCESS (port-a right on the beach!) in the 'off season' (early November - beaches are not crowded but clean, and NO SCORCHING sunburn, and water still warm enough to swim but not 'soup warm' like summer) - this takes care our our 'beach yearning' for a year , till the next VISIT.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
You need to spend some time there before you BUY something. Grew up there and still visit often > 50 yrs.
To add to above posts:
'Beach' areas;
Laguna Madre 'stinks'; yes, it 'smells' - most of the year long. Thing twice before settling anywhere just north (downwind) of it; (winds are from the south most of year long). The 'best' quality water/beach is the island (ocean facing), like Port A and nearby; bayfront is 2nd (ocean drive) , and laguna madre is distant 3rd (flour bluff).
Tip - the 'quality' of water/beaches here is 'average' and living directly on it year-round is not for most (unless you savor 'smelling like a fish' 24/7/365 , and often, a 'rotten' fish smell; it WILL grate on you, unless you're captin hook!). Read up about jelly-fish and man-o-war.

City/Residential;
most of the newer/better homes/developments for families are south of Saratoga Blvd; -yes, a bit away from the water, but very close to shopping/schools/'civilization'.

Restaurants are 'average' at best; kinda sad, but I can get better seafood in DALLAS than I can back 'home' on the coast (CC). And local seafood is NOWHERE close to what you can get on California coast ... But redfish and trout (and shrimp) are quite tasty if you can catch your own (fresh) and cook correctly!

In a nutshell, for last couple decades, our 'favorite' is to book a week or two at MAYAN PRINCESS (port-a right on the beach!) in the 'off season' (early November - beaches are not crowded but clean, and NO SCORCHING sunburn, and water still warm enough to swim but not 'soup warm' like summer) - this takes care our our 'beach yearning' for a year , till the next VISIT.
Thank you so much for all the info! I am going to spend a good amount of time there this summer, and then decide on which areas are better. My husband wanted something on the water, because he wants to have easy access to boat/fishing..but, I'm going to talk with him about your suggestion living little bit away from water/reasons. Thank you again!

Old 06-02-2017, 09:23 AM

712 posts, read 841,995 times
Rockport has some of the best fishing in the area... some nice home areas too.
but it is a bit away from 'the city' (shopping, etc).

It's quite hot/humid during the summer - be prepared for that ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi