Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 05:49 PM

45 posts, read 149,858 times

Advertisements

Have you considered Victoria. I recently (10 monts ago)moved here from Corpus, and while its not as big as Corpus, I find it more appealing. The medical field is BOOMING here. We weren't really planning on moving, but wife interviewed as a favor to one of college classmates, and were blown away at the salary they offered her. As well as a signing bonus. (she is in the medical field as well). It was too good to pass up. Victoria is also conveniently located. Two hours from Corpus, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston. Two excellent colleges, Univ. of Houston-Victoria and Victoria College. The public school district isn't all that great. However, there are some top notch private schools in the area. St. Joseph's, Faith Family, Nazereth. Good luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 03:32 PM

49 posts, read 153,152 times
Default So confused!!!!????

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
San Antonio is just Corpus Christi repeated several times over. It's strip mall after strip mall. The only things they have that CC lacks are a theme park and good shopping. And the shopping scene in Corpus Christi is currently changing drastically. The only businesses closing down in CC seem to be the ones that are closing nationwide. With the exception of Whataburger HQ leaving, there have been several major projects announced like the pipe manufacturing company from China, the Las Brisas project at the Port of CC and a handful of windfarm projects. Pretty good, quality jobs and investments in such a bad economy if you ask me.

Basically, with CC you get all the ameneties and culture of a larger city without all the bad things (traffic, crime, high cost of living) that come with it. I'd pick CC anyday over SA but you may want to experience it first. It's not for everyone, but everyone is always welcome.

I am completely confused regarding the crime rate in CC. On one hand people say it has high rape rates, drug trafficking and gangs and such then on the other hand people say CC has a low crime rate. How is the crime rate compared to say, Spokane WA? Crime is something I need to look into regarding my move:confu sed:

Old 09-15-2009, 04:06 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,778,593 times
In 2007:

Crime Rate

Spokane - 494.8

Corpus - 552.0

San Antonio - 489.6

Old 09-15-2009, 04:10 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,778,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
San Antonio is just Corpus Christi repeated several times over. It's strip mall after strip mall. The only things they have that CC lacks are a theme park and good shopping. And the shopping scene in Corpus Christi is currently changing drastically. The only businesses closing down in CC seem to be the ones that are closing nationwide. With the exception of Whataburger HQ leaving, there have been several major projects announced like the pipe manufacturing company from China, the Las Brisas project at the Port of CC and a handful of windfarm projects. Pretty good, quality jobs and investments in such a bad economy if you ask me.
Dude, you were putting down San Antonio in order to make Corpus look good months ago? Geez.

Honestly, if you really believe the things SA has that Corpus doesn't is theme parks and good shopping then good help you.

Quote:
Basically, with CC you get all the ameneties and culture of a larger city without all the bad things (traffic, crime, high cost of living) that come with it. I'd pick CC anyday over SA but you may want to experience it first. It's not for everyone, but everyone is always welcome.
You do know that Corpus has a higher crime rate (worst crime) than San Antonio. A city nearly 7 times bigger.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:02 PM

244 posts, read 803,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
In 2007:

Crime Rate

Spokane - 494.8

Corpus - 552.0

San Antonio - 489.6
Great. Thanks for 2007 data. Although I do think it was 2007 that CC only had 5 murders for the year.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:07 PM

244 posts, read 803,540 times
Quote:
Dude, you were putting down San Antonio in order to make Corpus look good months ago? Geez.

Honestly, if you really believe the things SA has that Corpus doesn't is theme parks and good shopping then good help you.
Honestly, that's basically it. Oh, I left out restaurants. Can't forget restaurants.

Quote:
You do know that Corpus has a higher crime rate (worst crime) than San Antonio. A city nearly 7 times bigger.
In 2007? And besides, CC's crime is contained to one or two areas of the city. There are much fewer random acts of violence. Those are what you need to worry about. Not saying our crime isn't bad but, come on.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:33 AM

85 posts, read 233,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
If you were to draw a line on the map from San Antonio to CC,,, then draw another line from SA in a westerly direction towards El Paso, all of the area within the outlines will have a predominately Hispanic/Mexican flavor. .
Coming from the LA area that statement could scare the heck out of you and make you run the other way. Been there, done that. We lived here a few weeks and were in the grocery store and I told my husband I didn't get it, this place was supposed to be mostly Hispanic so where were they all? He about choked and told me to look around. I did and was like . The Hispanic population here isn't anything like what you're used to as a general rule. Now for the down side...neither is the Mexican food Get ready for a big change there. The Chinese food is nothing like you're used to either.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:43 AM

85 posts, read 233,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missWendyS View Post
I am completely confused regarding the crime rate in CC. On one hand people say it has high rape rates, drug trafficking and gangs and such then on the other hand people say CC has a low crime rate. How is the crime rate compared to say, Spokane WA? Crime is something I need to look into regarding my move:confu sed:
Read the Caller Times online. It's the newspaper here and has a police blotter and of course the major news of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi