U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 06:46 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,916,947 times

Advertisements

Why doesn't the Corpus Christi area market itself as a fabulous vacation destination? It sounds like you have it all~some of the clearest beaches in Tx., plenty of motels, etc.

Is there a reason that they haven't joined together with an airline such as Allegiant Air to make vacationing there more affordable? I live closer to CC then to Daytona Beach and yet it'd cost me over double just to get down there.

Any plans in the works or isn't there any interest in being a top vacation destination?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 07:23 PM

808 posts, read 3,368,785 times
CC does market itself as a vacation destination. Corpus Christi Hotels, Attractions, Group Tours, Beaches & Texas Vacations In Corpus Christi

As far as why flights to CC are few and far between, the airport is not well-managed at all. Your three airline options are Southwest, Continental, and American.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:51 PM

13,558 posts, read 6,549,213 times
Air service to Corpus Christi is a major problem. That's actually the case with a lot of really nice places to visit. Corpus just happens to be one of the larger of the "major problem" areas.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:21 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,916,947 times
Awecelot, thanks for the link. I like vacation guides cause they help you decide the perfect place to go.

But actually, I was wondering why they don't market on a larger scale. For instance, the weather channel has a lot of commercials for Florida and a few other places, but I've never seen one from CC. During spring break, the announcers did talk about South Padre Island, but I didn't hear them mention CC once. Is it the cost of national advertising that prevents them from doing it?

Kibby, you're right. It's the airfare that is the hindrance. It's expensive to fly out of my area, but since we have Allegiant Air, there are bargains. For instance, I checked out a flight to CC on Expedia and flight alone is $402.60 per person. I checked the exact same days for a flight to Daytona and it's 58 per person plus taxes and fees which would put the ticket at under 100. (Fees and Taxes are high) Just to be fair, the Daytona flight actually takes you to Sanford, but it's a short drive to Daytona.

It just really surprises me that CC hasn't linked up with some airline to bring more tourists in.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
But actually, I was wondering why they don't market on a larger scale. For instance, the weather channel has a lot of commercials for Florida and a few other places, but I've never seen one from CC. During spring break, the announcers did talk about South Padre Island, but I didn't hear them mention CC once. Is it the cost of national advertising that prevents them from doing it?
As far as why they don't market nationally, I think it's a combination of small-time thinking by the CC CVB and that the beach scene is different from Florida and South Padre, in that you can drive your car down the beach to find the perfect little nook. Because of this, mega-resorts won't set up shop in CC - if you are in their shoes, when you are trying to rent rooms at $250+ per night, you don't want to be offering access to a beach that random people can just drive down. Mega-resorts are the ones that pay for the marketing budgets of Florida and SPI.

One of the other reasons why SPI is seen as more of a vacation destination than CC is because there is NOTHING ELSE there. SPI is a beach town. CC is a city with a beach.

All of that being said, you might want to look into the costs of hotels in Daytona, SPI, and CC...you may find that despite the high airfare to CC, the lower cost of taking a vacation in the area + the proximity of the national seashore (MILES of primitive beach with no resorts in sight) make CC a destination worth visiting.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:21 PM

13,558 posts, read 6,549,213 times
OK - I've not lived in Corpus for years but visit maybe 4-6 times a year. Back in the "old days" - Corpus was a destination spot for visitors from Mexico that would come up to visit the beach, shop and then maybe do some serious shopping in San Antonio. This was a big deal every year in the spring/early summer.

I don't think that happens any more. Travel between Mexico and the USA is not so easy any more. We used to have Mexican Airlines, Braniff, Continental, Southwest Air & AA air flying in and out on a daily basis.

Some went under, some cut back flights, and Southwest never did fly direct to Corpus, they touch down in Houston. These days there is not much going in there. For the most part - Corpus has been a beach destination for Texans (this was actually before South Padre with all their vacation condos was developed). It's almost like a "secret" that Texans like to keep to themselves. Honestly ... same thing for the best places to stay in the Hill Country.

Port A is still basically a fishing village that has really grown to a year around residency. Southwest offers flights that do touch downs in Houston to get to Corpus, AA still flies direct on American Eagle flights (out of Dallas), and often offers weekend specials. Corpus has never been a "fly in" place - it's always been a "drive in place" mostly for Texans.

It's worth the drive - I've been to all the coasts and none of them are quite like Corpus. I've never been anywhere else that you can go down an access road, drive down the beach next to the water and find a place to park and set up for the rest of the day. I'm honestly not sure you can still do this on Padre to the south - I haven't been down that way for years. I like Mustang Island (along the road to Port A) so much better and that's where we always go. There are a few of the big condo units, but not many - the beach is still accessible and work the trip with a little investigation to find great places to stay along the beaches just south of Corpus Christi, TX.

It's a nice family vacation even though it's not so easy to get there by air. Check SW Air and AA both. You might just find a deal.

Anyone not familiar with this area should post vacation plans so the locals can warn you of the things we all grew up knowing. Stuff like don't touch the beautiful Portuguese man a wars that wash up on the beach - and how you can really, really get a bad sunburn because you don't realize how hot that sun gleaming off the sand really is.

My favorite "beach vacation" is on St John's Island in the US Virgin Islands. Absolutely unbelievable, (some of the best snorkeling in the world) and does not have to be as expensive as the travel folks tell you. Best place (bar none) I've ever traveled to a "beach destination". I was sitting in a beach chair one day at Hawksnest Beach (off the tourist path, but great beach with shade), with a hat/long sleeve shirt and towel over my legs, reading a book when a local walked by - did a double take and said - "Wow, a tourist with some common sense", you must have knowledge of beaches".

YEP - you have no idea how cool you can feel with that ocean breeze, and how badly you can roast under that HOT sun shining off of the sand. It can be dangerous. Check out what you should do on the beaches before you go, make sure you have a good vacation and not be a baked lobster. The internet (and forums like this) are wonderful resources to actually see/learn about the areas that people want to move to or visit., It used to be so much more difficult to find valid information about areas.

Last edited by Kibby; 04-04-2009 at 06:31 PM..

Old 04-04-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Anyone not familiar with this area should post vacation plans so the locals can warn you of the things we all grew up knowing. Stuff like don't touch the beautiful Portuguese man a wars that wash up on the beach - and how you can really, really get a bad sunburn because you don't realize how hot that sun gleaming off the sand really is.
I definitely agree with this advice. As far as the Men-of-War go, the rule is "don't go near a blue balloon or touch anything coming from it." Also...put sunscreen on the bottoms of your feet if you plan to spend more of your day on the beach than in the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi