Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:40 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Tapped Trailer

Here is a link to a trailer for a documentary about the bottled water industry that was partly filmed in Corpus Christi. Looks like it will be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 03:53 PM

49 posts, read 153,175 times
So the documentary piece does a good job about pointing out whats bad and what needs to be done, but does not really offer up any suggestions as to how to stop it all? I remember the BPA issue, it came up just over one year ago and I was actually managing a store that sells baby gear and we went and took all of the plastic bottles off of the shelves and replaced them with BPA free products, Im still not too clear on BPA, what it does and how it effects people though. Where would one find the entire tapped documentary? Also are those ugly trash strewn beaches representative of CC? What about the garbage infested waters? If so, maybe I need to rethink my move as Im looking for natural beauty and not litter

Old 09-15-2009, 05:18 PM

162 posts, read 705,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missWendyS View Post
Also are those ugly trash strewn beaches representative of CC? What about the garbage infested waters? If so, maybe I need to rethink my move as Im looking for natural beauty and not litter
This definitely seems to be a "hot topic" when it comes to Corpus are all of the mixed feelings when it comes to our beaches. I know I stated here several months ago (forgot which thread -- it's been too long), but I know there are some military who do training in our waters specifically due to the murkiness. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it has to do with the way the water circulates? Anyway, I've taken my kids to the beach ONE time and that was do-able (North Beach which is more family-oriented) -- all in all, I know when I lived in NW Washington, I don't recall seeing any used syringes and condoms on the beaches, blech...

I won't be around the bush. I find our beaches pretty gross, but there's just as many people who enjoy them.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:48 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,088 times
Those are not beaches from Corpus Christi! CC has nice, clean, undeveloped beaches and water. The reason the water is so murky down here is because of the Mississippi River in Louisiana. It flows down into the Gulf and kicks up all of the sand at the bottom and brings it our way. That is why the closer you get to the mouth of the Mississippi, the murkier the water is. My guess as to the part that was shot in CC is either the part with the refineries in the background or the Everest bottling plant here. Because I have heard of this documentary before and heard that they went into the Everest bottling company down here and filmed inside of the plant.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:05 PM

244 posts, read 803,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Those are not beaches from Corpus Christi! CC has nice, clean, undeveloped beaches and water. The reason the water is so murky down here is because of the Mississippi River in Louisiana. It flows down into the Gulf and kicks up all of the sand at the bottom and brings it our way. That is why the closer you get to the mouth of the Mississippi, the murkier the water is. My guess as to the part that was shot in CC is either the part with the refineries in the background or the Everest bottling plant here. Because I have heard of this documentary before and heard that they went into the Everest bottling company down here and filmed inside of the plant.
You are exactly correct.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:09 PM

49 posts, read 153,175 times
Thank you both so much for clarifying that for me, Im attracted to nature and natural beauty and if the beaches in CC looked like the ones in the doc I would have been horrified. The pollution in Southern Ca is one of the reasons (besides ridiculously expensive COL, I mean 1500 a month for a trashy 1 or 2 bedroom apartment in the Ghetto? Are you kidding me) I decided to bypass cali in searching for my new city. I feel so much better now about the beach thing, whew

Old 09-15-2009, 10:33 PM

244 posts, read 803,764 times
If you like that, then you'll love this. Throughout the year they have Kemps Ridley sea turtle hatchling releases at the National Seashore. I've had friends that get up early to go spectate but have yet to make it out ther myself due to work. But I hear it's an incredible experience. Something you and your kids could really appreciate.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:49 PM

82 posts, read 221,764 times
I am looking forward to getting involved in the Kemps Ridley sea turtle releases once we move there. It is one of the things I am most looking forward to.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:33 AM

I don't think the documentary has been released yet. I believe it's scheduled for sometime this fall.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by produrre View Post
I am looking forward to getting involved in the Kemps Ridley sea turtle releases once we move there. It is one of the things I am most looking forward to.
There's also a marine mammal rehab facility in Port Aransas where you can volunteer if you're interested in that, and the Texas State Aquarium also does some bird rehabilitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi