Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 11:08 AM

6 posts, read 48,573 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!!
A little about me I have lived in Lancaster Pa, my 23 years. I'm married, and have 2 ferrets who are my babies! I actually do love Lancaster Pa, beautiful scenery!!
However, I want to see new things.. I have never traveled in the states. It's always been the Caribbean..My husband (he's Cuban and Brazilian) has traveled, and been to a ton of places...
Anyways, one day Fabian my Husband came home, and said " We have the chance to move." He opened my laptop--and started doing a search.. His besfriend and his wife are moving next year to Corpus Christi. He then showed my pictures. I fell in love!! I love the beach, I love warm weather!
I am a planner. So I want as much information anyone can give me. I read some very discouraging threads, but then some great ones.
I'm most worried about a job. I'm a bartender so I'm figuring it shouldn't be to hard! I also work in at a grocery store in their coffee shop, and floral department. My husband is a service writer for a car dealership.
I found an apartment I liked! ( Costa Tarragona Apartment Homes )
I also want to know how open everyone is-- I've got peircings and tatts.. I'm a rocker!

So everyone give it to me-- I want to know everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 12:46 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Corpus Christi has a lot of nice attributes and I'm sure you'll be able to find a job in the service industries. You won't have any problem with your piercings and tats. However, I still recommend that you come for a visit before you decide to move. It's a big change to make sight unseen.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:52 PM

Yeah, we want to plan a trip-- airfare is a little pricey. When do you think would be a good time to come visit?

Old 04-15-2009, 01:17 PM

162 posts, read 705,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyScaryWhiteGirl23 View Post
Yeah, we want to plan a trip-- airfare is a little pricey. When do you think would be a good time to come visit?
Welcome Hmm, I don't even know if there are "right" or "wrong" times to visit here. I suppose you can't go wrong during the summer months. You could always try checking the Caller.com to see if there are any upcoming festivities in the area that you'd like to check out. Also, have you checked out Southwest airlines? If it's just going to be you and your significant other visiting, it shouldn't cost too bad hopefully.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:38 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,731 times
I would definately come during the summer months, and you should stay for at least 2 weeks. This will give you a chance to experience the hottest of the weather down here, and give you an open opportunity to tour the city, and look at ALL apartment complexes. I stay at The Rafters, in the Calallen area of Corpus. They are nice apartments. Be sure to talk to the locals around the area, get a feel for the lingo and the vibe Corpus has to offer. Be sure to be honest with yourself afterwards, and make a list of the PRO'S and CON'S of moving here. Then, make your plans.

Ian

Old 04-15-2009, 04:52 PM

244 posts, read 803,961 times
You should hang out at House of Rock when you come for a visit. It's downtown and totally rocker friendly. Of course, I think all of CC is pretty much accepting of everyone. That's what's so great about it.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
I would definately come during the summer months, and you should stay for at least 2 weeks. This will give you a chance to experience the hottest of the weather down here, and give you an open opportunity to tour the city, and look at ALL apartment complexes. I stay at The Rafters, in the Calallen area of Corpus. They are nice apartments. Be sure to talk to the locals around the area, get a feel for the lingo and the vibe Corpus has to offer. Be sure to be honest with yourself afterwards, and make a list of the PRO'S and CON'S of moving here. Then, make your plans.

Ian
I, too second The Rafters. The parking is great, it's very quiet and the few years I was there, there were no disturbances. Very affordable, too. Oh, and they were very on top of things when something needed maintenance. That was the ONLY apartment complex I didn't want to leave, lol.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:02 AM

Well thanks everyone! I was planning on coming between june-october. I know.. wide range.
Has anyone heard anything about the costa tarragona apt?? I checked out the Rafters. Very nice!!

Last edited by CrazyScaryWhiteGirl23; 04-16-2009 at 10:56 AM..

Old 04-16-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyScaryWhiteGirl23 View Post
Well thanks everyone! I was planning on coming between june-october. I know.. wide range.
Has anyone heard anythink about the costa tarragona apt?? I checked out the Rafters. Very nice!!
I had to google it because I had never heard the name. It's definitely NOT the best part in town. They built those brand new apartments right smack in the middle of an older, "less than safe", run down neighborhood. My husband had a friend who moved there a while back and said they're nice, but because they're affordable housing, unfortunately they attract not-so-great-people. That's not said to offend anyone, either. They look very nice, I just have no idea WHY they chose that location?!?

Old 04-16-2009, 01:40 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,264,553 times
The job opportunities should be very good for both of you in Corpus Christi. There are a lot of car dealerships, many places for you in the bartending field and one of the best Grocery chains in the USA. It's independently owned with great benefits, and opportunities not just for a "job" but for a life time career.

H.E.B. Grocery

The area you are thinking of for an apartment is not in the best part of town. It's new, it has great prices but I feel that with a little investigation you can find something you would like better. That particular area is not going to be very close to work for either of you which is not a big issue in Corpus because you can drive most anywhere from anywhere in about 20 minutes. You would be way outside of the "heart" of the city, the water and most of the real action.

Corpus is both diverse and friendly - you would fit in just fine. Corpus is great to visit most times of the year but particularly good during the time period you are thinking about. August/Sept will be the hottest time. There is usually a great fireworks display over the water downtown on July 4rh. May and June are some of my favorite months. Be sure and really look around - explore the whole area.

Best way to get here is probably going to be on Southwest. You would have to fly through Houston. When you check on airfares - check "deals" to Houston and to Dallas or maybe even Austin. If you can get to one of the larger cities then you can book on Southwest to get to Corpus, there are several daily flights. Keep in mind that Southwest flys out of Love Field in Dallas and out of Hobby in Houston. You are better off trying to get to Houston Hobby because all the Southwest Corpus flights go through Houston. American Airlines offers direct Dallas to Corpus flights so it's worth checking.

A quick check on Southwest shows that they fly out of Pittsburg. A flight to Houston is as low as $99 each way, it's another $49 each way to get from Houston to Corpus OR you could rent a car and drive down the coast - it would give you a chance to see a bit of South Texas and it's only about a 3 hour drive (I think, haven't done it in a long time).

You have to be creative to fly to Corpus. Standard travel sites will not list the SW flights, you have to work through their site. Be sure and sign up for Rapid rewards if you do this. They base the "rewards" on legs flown, not on miles flown and often offer a "signing bonus".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi