U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:02 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,638,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I think that using Corpus Christi in a song is rhythmically challenging. I only remember a song that my 2nd grade teacher would play on a 45 for us. It seemed like a song made up the Tourist Bureau. The words were like "Corpus Christi, that's my hometown, ....Padre Island, Aransas Pass for fishing, fun & play,Come over for a lifetime or just a day. Corpus Christi, that's my hometown. It's funny how those lyrics have stuck in my head from almost 40 years ago. yikes
You weren't in Mrs. Truly's class at Calk Elementary in 1964 were you? Because I was and I remember her playing THAT SONG on a 45; we all learned to SING it. I logged on here looking for that info. I'm glad SOMEBODY other than me remembers it! It repeated: "Cor-pus Chris-ti, that's my hometown! Cor-pus Chris-ti! That's my hometown!" I couldn't remember all the rest that you remembered, only that phrase (and I can sing that phrase).

Of course, the other song we learned that year was "Texas, Our Texas", with the new "boldest and grandest" lyrics--before that it was "biggest", but that darn Alaska got in the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 10:11 AM

11 posts, read 27,489 times
Default Nanci Griffith---Lone Star State of Mind

Someone else mentioned it.....but I have to second this song, "Lone Star State of Mind." It makes me homesick when I hear it....

It's a great catchy tune, not a slow ballad....done by an incredible Texas musician that gets a lot more credit outside of Texas. She is truly an artist with a voice like an angel. She is one of my favorite recording artists.

If you have not heard any of Nanci's stuff....get to it....beautiful music and lyrics.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:55 PM

5,845 posts, read 11,275,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rutabaga View Post
Someone else mentioned it.....but I have to second this song, "Lone Star State of Mind." It makes me homesick when I hear it....

It's a great catchy tune, not a slow ballad....done by an incredible Texas musician that gets a lot more credit outside of Texas. She is truly an artist with a voice like an angel. She is one of my favorite recording artists.

If you have not heard any of Nanci's stuff....get to it....beautiful music and lyrics.
That was me who mentioned the song!

I love Nanci Griffith, and can play a few of her songs on guitar. Gets more credit outside Texas?? Wow! Shes not all that known as it is. But I grew up on folk and classic country.

Too bad. I'm planning no moving to Austin next year, and was half expecting to play her songs at some open mike somewhere and have everyone recognize them

Old 05-15-2009, 05:37 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,677,437 times
Here are some more for the list

BROWNSVILLE GIRL by BOB DYLAN

CORPUS CHRISTI CAROL by JEFF BUCKLEY

SPEED OF LIFE by SUGARLAND

CORPUS CHRISTI- ANGKOR WAT (not the city)

Old 05-15-2009, 09:58 PM

11,431 posts, read 17,055,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
You weren't in Mrs. Truly's class at Calk Elementary in 1964 were you? Because I was and I remember her playing THAT SONG on a 45; we all learned to SING it. I logged on here looking for that info. I'm glad SOMEBODY other than me remembers it! It repeated: "Cor-pus Chris-ti, that's my hometown! Cor-pus Chris-ti! That's my hometown!" I couldn't remember all the rest that you remembered, only that phrase (and I can sing that phrase).

Of course, the other song we learned that year was "Texas, Our Texas", with the new "boldest and grandest" lyrics--before that it was "biggest", but that darn Alaska got in the way.

Wow!! I cannot believe that someone else knows that song!!! It went "Padre Island, Aransas Pass for fishing, fun and play.. I'd recommend it for a lifetime or just a day... Corpus Christi, that's my hometown, Corpus Christi, that's my hometown." I heard it in Mrs Smith's 2nd grade class (1970-71) at montclair elementary. I think that she said that it came from the chamber of commerce.

Last edited by wehotex; 05-15-2009 at 10:28 PM..

Old 05-16-2009, 09:37 PM

24 posts, read 79,971 times
Jimmie Dale Gilmore has a song on one of his later cd's...lyrics include the "wind blowing in from Corpus Christi" Maybe on the cd "Brave new world".

Old 05-23-2009, 07:27 PM

12 posts, read 24,354 times
Sugarland has a song named Corpus Christi

Old 08-27-2009, 06:32 PM

3 posts, read 19,440 times
Matt Hole & the Hot Rod Gangs' "We're from Texas".
http://www.myspace.com/mattholeandthehotrodgang

Last edited by Ska Robot; 08-27-2009 at 06:48 PM..

Old 08-27-2009, 10:11 PM

80 posts, read 88,885 times
I think there was a song back in the 1970's called "Corpus Christi in My Rear View Mirror"

Old 08-28-2009, 02:12 AM

3 posts, read 19,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Odessan in Austin View Post
I think there was a song back in the 1970's called "Corpus Christi in My Rear View Mirror"
Mac Davis had a song called "Texas in My Rear View Mirror", but it doesn't mention Corpus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi