U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 12:39 PM

19 posts, read 149,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
You weren't in Mrs. Truly's class at Calk Elementary in 1964 were you? Because I was and I remember her playing THAT SONG on a 45; we all learned to SING it. I logged on here looking for that info. I'm glad SOMEBODY other than me remembers it! It repeated: "Cor-pus Chris-ti, that's my hometown! Cor-pus Chris-ti! That's my hometown!" I couldn't remember all the rest that you remembered, only that phrase (and I can sing that phrase).

Of course, the other song we learned that year was "Texas, Our Texas", with the new "boldest and grandest" lyrics--before that it was "biggest", but that darn Alaska got in the way.
I was in Windsor Park elementary during 1964 and heard this song-in Mr. Truly's class. Wonder if he was married to the woman you mention. No doubt about the song as wehotex has verbalized it here. The ukelele was ringing in my head for days from that song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 12:54 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,635,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercityhorn View Post
I was in Windsor Park elementary during 1964 and heard this song-in Mr. Truly's class. Wonder if he was married to the woman you mention. No doubt about the song as wehotex has verbalized it here. The ukelele was ringing in my head for days from that song.
Her husband's name (or initials) were "J. D." because she signed my report cards "Mrs. J. D. Truly".

Now, I can't remember very important things that I need to do (get to the bank; handle some crisis at work I conveniently forgot; give the dogs their anti-heartworm medications) but I can remember that from almost 50 years ago.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:03 PM

26 posts, read 84,772 times
ladies-dont forget that big hunk of a man george straight's song -all my ex's live in texas

-and my little texas tornado

Old 09-12-2011, 10:12 PM

16,434 posts, read 19,834,322 times
Tony Joe White sings a poignant song about Corpus Christi and Selena in his great album "Long Hot July".

Old 09-04-2017, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 8,837 times
If anyone would like a copy of the Corpus Christi version of My Home Town I would be happy to send you a very nice copy. Please email me at: Islandersb@aol.com and let me know you would like a copy.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:25 PM

20,871 posts, read 5,268,287 times
Redneck Riviera by Gary P Nunn I think.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:42 PM

4,200 posts, read 3,335,848 times
"Corpus Christi" - Roy Solis
https://youtu.be/UIgICuEHVpM

Gary P. Nunn's "My Kinda Day On Padre" doesn't mention CC specifically, but it does mention Port A and Shorty's - and it doesn't specify whether he's singing about north or south Padre when he mentions "down to Laguna Madre, cruising over the causeway".
https://youtu.be/qClr0sovLm0

Old 10-28-2017, 11:58 AM

4,625 posts, read 4,699,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Redneck Riviera by Gary P Nunn I think.
Cool song, never heard it before. So where is the Redneck Riviera? Is he talking about Port A?

Old 05-25-2019, 07:18 PM

6 posts, read 8,837 times
If you want an audio copy of Corpus Christi - My Hometown email me at islandersb@aol.com

Old 06-03-2019, 01:45 AM

4,200 posts, read 3,335,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Robot View Post
Mac Davis had a song called "Texas in My Rear View Mirror", but it doesn't mention Corpus.

That song is about Lubbock, Davis' hometown.

And since this thread has been resurrected, I figured I'd share a few other songs.

"Why Don't You Meet Me Down In Corpus" by Gary P. Nunn is obviously about CC.

"Gulf Coast Time" by Corpus' own Roger Creager mentions Copano Bay.

We get at twofer from Creager in "Having Fun All Wrong" in which he sings "I followed Robert Earl Keen from Dallas to the Sparkling City by the Sea, jumped up on the seawall and sang Corpus Christi Bay"

Also, "***** You, We're From Texas" by Ray Wylie Hubbard and "One State Of Mind" by Gary P. Nunn both mention Port A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi