U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2007, 12:00 PM

12 posts, read 56,926 times

Advertisements

I've been on a long search for our next home. I'm a late 30s single mom with a 9-year-old son.

I have lived in the NW (Portland) for ten years. I need warmer weather, more sun, and to be near the ocean. I spent many happy summers in Port Aransas as a kid and so I sometimes wonder about Corpus (since Port A might be too small and limited for raising a child). I was raised in Dallas and my family is still there, so being in the same state with them would be nice, but not necessary. I checked out the central Cal coast area (SLO)...but was really turned off by home prices, gas prices, sales tax, etc...although I have not ruled out that area YET!! I do like it there a lot otherwise.

I also checked out Austin and, although the people were wonderful, I don't think I could deal with the congestion and craziness. I felt very overwhelmed while visiting and spent hours in traffic while looking around. I was also shocked at how fast people drove. Anyway..I guess I'm still feeling very let down by Austin because I had such high hopes after reading all the hype. But that is another story!

My concerns about Corpus, at least from what I hear, is that the water is dirty there and I even fear Port A water might be getting worse!? My sister saw a toxic water warning sign when she was down there last summer.

I guess overall I'm looking for feedback on overall livingness, schools, crime, recreation. Yes..I know it is hot, but if I'm near the ocean, I don't mind as much!

Thank you for any feedback!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 03:17 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,311,944 times
As a 42 year old divorced female, the one thing I can tell you is that if you are looking to possibly date or maybe get married, it will probably be the worst choice for you. Email me if you want specifics. (and i am not just speaking from my own experience, i work with ALOT of other nurses in the city!)

Old 04-01-2007, 03:20 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,311,944 times
I also wanted to say that i would recommend you look into the outskirts of San Antonio..and you can drive to Port Aransas and Padre on your days off for some beach time

Old 04-01-2007, 09:56 PM

6 posts, read 16,650 times
That is the truth, I wouldn't have moved to Corpus if I was single, As far as the beaches go the water is warm, I havent seen any posted contaminated water signs here and I've been here 5 years, The sand however tends to get sad looking, I really dont understand why people dont clean up their trash. And you might want to check into the schools your son will be attending.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:58 PM

12 posts, read 56,926 times
Default Well....my priority really isn't dating exactly...

..and I should have clarified that! Although I guess I'm not really surprised to hear that CC is not a great place for singles, as I don't associate south texas with a vibrant singles scene!

To clarify, I described myself as a single mom because I was thinking more in terms of "woman living alone with child" and safety, community, etc, that one in my position would want. Meeting someone special can happen anytime, anywhere, in my experience...and I plan to travel a lot no matter where I live.

Hmmm....besides lack of a singles scene, anything good about CC that could help me get some clarity? Thank you again!!

Old 04-02-2007, 10:56 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,800,170 times
I live in CC and have posted several times about it in response to questions like yours. If you do a "Corpus Christi" search I'm sure you will find those posts.

There are certainly lots of single moms here. I know many in our neighborhood, in my workplace and through my daughter's school and haven't heard any particular complaints about safety. If you and your son like water related activities there is plenty of that to do. I wouldn't swim in CC bay, although plenty of people do. I think the Gulf is fine. The beach can be trashy, as pointed out above. But the national seashore goes for miles and miles and is generally clean, although you need a 4-wheel-drive to access a lot of it.

Of course, there are all the usual sports for kids--soccer, baseball, basketball, football. There are sporting events to go see, too. Baseball, basketball, hockey and indoor football--both at the college and semi-professional levels.

Schools are ok, not great overall, but they vary with the neighborhood. You can check particular schools through Greatschools.net.

The cost of living and housing is low, but wages tend to be low as well, depending on what kind of work you do. Taxes and insurance are high, but we don't pay a state income tax, for whatever that's worth.

I like living in CC for the most part, with the exception of the heat in July, August and September. Even so, an evening walking or cycling along the bayfront in August evening can be pretty nice.

I had fun dating here in my early 30's and have lots of 30-40-50 year-old friends who have active social lives. I wouldn't let that keep you from moving down here, unless you're set on marrying a particular kind of professional.

Feel free to ask more particular questions, or send me a private message if you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi