Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:57 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,394,075 times

Advertisements

Reading the Caller Times is depressing . This city has the worst leaders anywhere. I swear if word would leak out, CC would be the laughing stock of the nation right now. With the council working with Prevatili to the city growing 3.6% in 9 years, (a lot of TX cities do that in one year). Someday within the next 30-50 years I believe McAllen, Laredo, Midland, Waco, Lubbock and maybe even Brownsville will be larger than CC. With no opportunity for major growth any time soon, (or so it seems), and down to the city having to hire consultants for everything, it just seems like everything is going wrong in this city. When will this madness end? CC needs to take a page out of Houston or Austin's book to see how a city should really be run. It is really getting rediculous already.

I went to Houston and stayed the night up there last night for the first time in two years! I didn't even recognize the place because it grew so much! It is so impressive and awesome! It made me never want to come back to CC. It really makes me wonder why some don't like the city. It is just amazing and the vibe inside of the 610 loop is so lively and urban and great. There is development everywhere! It was great. Now I am back in CC and bored. It is so boring and slow paced here.

I don't know. I am ready for CC to get some good city leaders and explode with growth. Does anyone think it ever will?

P.S. I miss Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 05:01 PM

244 posts, read 801,358 times
Vote and get involved. It's the only way to create change. It will happen...and I'll be here to cash in when it does.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
Vote and get involved. It's the only way to create change. It will happen...and I'll be here to cash in when it does.
Yep. Do they have voting tomorrow, because I get out of work at three so I will be out and about.

I am really not trying to make CC seem bad, but it really is getting kind of rediculous. Especially after you go to another city (I have been to SA and Houston in the last month), and come back here. It is sad.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:53 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,000,683 times
I do see your point, Gabe, but at the same time, I kinda like it that CC is a relative unknown. I have finally made it here, and am now settled in. Have been doing some exploring around the city, and I have been quite satisfied thus far with what I have seen. I personally do not want to see a huge, explosive growth to this unique city. I realize the revenue that could come from it should it happen, but I just love the laid back nature of this place.

Ian

Old 03-26-2009, 06:55 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,946,432 times
[quote=txsizzler;8047065]I do see your point, Gabe, but at the same time, I kinda like it that CC is a relative unknown. I have finally made it here, and am now settled in. Have been doing some exploring around the city, and I have been quite satisfied thus far with what I have seen. I personally do not want to see a huge, explosive growth to this unique city. I realize the revenue that could come from it should it happen, but I just love the laid back nature of this place.

I agree with you 100%. I think that there is a significant amount of the city that feels the same way. We've seen what has happened to other cities like growth cities like austin, and it's not pretty.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 AM

808 posts, read 3,638,285 times
I've always thought that CC needs to adopt a smart-growth plan and stick to it. The plan should involve reviving downtown, attracting more high-paying jobs, and encouraging redevelopment of Six Points and the Parkdale area. Six Points has the potential to be a funky, exciting entertainment district, and Parkdale just needs someone to either tear down that dilapidated shopping center or completely refurbish it.

The problem that Austin experienced with growth is that it grew too fast...a smart-growth plan would seek to add about 5-8% to the population and 12-15% to the tax rolls every 10 years. Doing this would allow Corpus to develop without sacrificing the laid-back atmosphere that makes CC unique.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:30 PM

I tell you one thing... The "ugly" growth in other cities is a lot better than the whole lot of nothing thats been going on in CC for the last 10 to 20 years. A lot of the growth going on in Houston right now is smart and beautiiful. And I am talkin in the inner parts of the city as well. But for CC, honestly, when was the last time the city has seen any "real" job growth? Think about it, what has really happened in the past 5-15 years that has really done anything for the local economy? CC has grown approximately 7% in the last 20 years and only 0.6% in the last year, including the metro. Most of that growth is from the birth rate to death rate ratio. Without CC's high fertility rate, the city would be shrinking. We are the 3rd slowest growing city in TX with a population over 100,000. The last two are shrinking. That 7% we have grown in 20 years, only takes 2 years for other large TX cities to pull off. It is really sad. Why do you guys think after everyone that graduates college leaves this town? There is no oppurtunity at all! CC is like a 3rd world city compared to other TX cities, and it is time for that to change. Growth can happen in a positive manner. The city leaders just need to get their heads out of their a**s and do something other than try to make a profit for themselves. Go on caller times and read user comments on articles about development about the city. Then try to tell me a lot of people in this town wants to keep it the backwards kind of place that it is.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:56 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,635,799 times
It's all about the city leadership. The people who are elected are either too busy trying to please everyone so they do nothing (the coliseum) or they're only interested in how a given vote will enrich them personally. Have you ever noticed how many council members are related to the insurance and real estate business? Based on their records, those men and women care only about their self-interests. Until we get a new wave of leadership, nothing will happen here.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It's all about the city leadership. The people who are elected are either too busy trying to please everyone so they do nothing (the coliseum) or they're only interested in how a given vote will enrich them personally. Have you ever noticed how many council members are related to the insurance and real estate business? Based on their records, those men and women care only about their self-interests. Until we get a new wave of leadership, nothing will happen here.
100% true. Hopefully the elections in April will bring a good set of city leadership and allow CC to truly be a sparkling city by the sea. I think Joe Adame would be a great mayor and his business experience can only bring positive things to the city.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:07 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,000,683 times
Yeah, since I have been dealing with this move and all, I have had very little opportunity to weigh in on the mayoral canidates. I am going to try to read up on them though, and get a better idea of their platforms. Curious, who is our council member for the Calallen district?

Ian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi