U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:55 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,800,170 times

Advertisements

I remember a case several years ago where a couple was at the beach late at night and he was beaten and she was raped. I believe the perps were arrested and convicted.

But you can easily stay til dark with no worries and lots of people do camp and hang out at night. We did it lots when we were younger. It just gets very dark and it's loud because of the surf, so you can be in a difficult spot if you do need help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 09:57 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,800,170 times
Also, sometimes the crowd can get rough during Spring Break, but that's just from having thousands of young people and lots of beer. That's not really a family scene anyway.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:53 PM

100 posts, read 412,822 times
It's South Padre Island. It's a great place during vacation periods of the year actually but during the down time periods it does have legitimate gang activity. Akon performed there a couple years back and got jacked of his shoes and I believe his belt and chain when he crowd surfed. They had to cut the show short cause if it, which was a bummer lol. I was at that show and a bunch of local Padre/Bville kids went and a few fights almost broke out but in the end it was a good concert and I had fun.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:33 AM

9,353 posts, read 17,854,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
Why in the world would anyone want to leave those beautiful beaches with the white sand to vacation on a Texas beach with the rough dirty looking sand ?

I would much rather spend time in Destin, Fort Walton Beach but there aren't any direct flights to get there

if the bright white sand is THAT important to you ....... I have flown to pensacola through atlanta to get to gulf shores...... wasn't too awful difficult........

Old 05-06-2009, 09:24 PM

1,986 posts, read 1,551,636 times
Quote:
When I moved to Texas a short time ago, I remember someone mentioning to stay away from a certain part of Padre Island because there was gang activity. I can't remembe if it was North Padre Island or South Padre Island??? Which is the safest part for a family ?

Also,...I've heard a lot of folks rave about "Port A" but I can't get excited about it because all the pictures I've seen of the lodging accomodations show a long pier to get to the beach area and there is lots of weeds plus yellow sand.... yuk!

I'm used to going to the beautiful Destin/Fort Walton Florida area beaches where lodging is available right on the beach, - walk out the door a few steps to clean white soft sand and beautiful sparkling waves. The sand looks like sugar. Sigh....

I was raised in P.A. and am 46 yrs old so I am going to see it differently that you , I am in Waco "the dump" for a year at work so I miss it even more .

I lived on North padre many years up until January.. there is no gang activity period,,, they cant afford to be there ... there is however periods where we have burglars from Corpus but they are just one or two people,, not gang activity ,, fed up with police inaction there is now a very good neighborhood watch program up .

Old 05-06-2009, 09:36 PM

565 posts, read 1,113,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvalle_mayne View Post
It's South Padre Island. It's a great place during vacation periods of the year actually but during the down time periods it does have legitimate gang activity.
Describe "legitimate gang activity"

latetotheparty -- flying from San Antonio to Atlanta to get to Gulf Shores seems way out of the way.
I've been checking and it looks like there are a few flights from San Antonio to Fort Walton.
I would love to see Southwest offer a direct flight from San Antoinio to Fort Walton, where one could get there in an hour or so.... Ahhhh... I can dream, can't I ?

Old 05-06-2009, 10:01 PM

808 posts, read 3,368,785 times
Quote:

latetotheparty -- flying from San Antonio to Atlanta to get to Gulf Shores seems way out of the way.
I've been checking and it looks like there are a few flights from San Antonio to Fort Walton.
I would love to see Southwest offer a direct flight from San Antoinio to Fort Walton, where one could get there in an hour or so.... Ahhhh... I can dream, can't I ?

Continental to Houston to Northwest Florida Regional Airport.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:06 PM

100 posts, read 412,822 times
Quote:

Legitimate as in gang motivated not interpersonal. Most the crime during vacation periods is those vacationing causing problems with the locals (the gangsters) and as a result assault or what not but really the gangs kind of tone it down. Example is when I was in HS there was a spike in gang on gang attacks (fights, stabbings) but when spring break came in it suddenly stopped then briefly picked up again afterwards. This though was a looong time ago about 6 years ago so it may be different now. But the way I see it is this, if Rio De Janeiro can be one of the highest visited place for tourists while being one of the most dangerous cities in the world...I think you'll be just fine in SPI.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:27 PM

9,353 posts, read 17,854,607 times
Quote:

just depends on how important shiny-white sand beaches are for your enjoyment...... THOSE are found in florida, alabama, etc.

if the color of the sand is not that big an issue for you, then you can just head on down to the texas gulf coast.........

Old 05-08-2009, 03:51 PM

14 posts, read 101,032 times
Why is the Sand White along the Beaches in Destin Florida?The sand here on the Emerald Coast is among the whitest, cleanest and softest in the world. What you might not know, is that when you walk on the beaches here, you are actually walking on the mountains - the Appalachian Mountains, that is.The sand on the Emerald Coast beaches is comprised mainly of quartz washed down from the mountains by the Apalachicola River, 130 miles east of Ft. Walton Beach. It is this quartz, ground to a perfect oval in each grain of sand, that makes the beach "squeak" when you walk on it.
Normally, such quartz has a rosy pink tint because of it's iron oxide coating, but the sugary-white quartz of the Emerald Coast lost it's coating somewhere along it's watery journey thousands of years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi