U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:00 PM

16,772 posts, read 43,257,229 times

Advertisements

This is why you should not build houses or motels on the beach.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/u...caneIkeHit.jpg
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 01:40 PM

16,772 posts, read 43,257,229 times
The crime rate in South Padre Island is much higher then Port Aransas.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Actual Reported Population and Crimes:
Port Aransas, TX South Padre Island, TX
Population: 3,771 2,661
Murder: 0 0
Forcible Rape: 0 12
Robbery: 4 5
Aggravated Assault: 21 63
Burglary: 43 105
Larceny Theft: 230 521
Vehicle Theft: 16 33

S. Padre Island also gets more visitors from Mexico who vacation in the US. Whatever gang activity there is in the border towns probably finds it more convenient to vacation in South Padre Island then in Port Aransas.

Last edited by Yac; 05-22-2009 at 07:31 AM..

Old 06-14-2009, 10:40 AM

12 posts, read 26,999 times
I was born in Corpus when my Dad was in the Navy. After he got out, we moved back to KS. We have vacationed on N. Padre for many years. I have always thought it was one of the 'best kept secrets' out there, and don't want it to be ruined by hotel / condo overgrowth. The sand is great; the waves are great, and you really feel like you're at the ocean, compared to the somewhat sanitized milder climate of FL's beaches. You can drive for miles and miles on the beach - traveling on the National Seashore, where no one can build. It's like your own private island. Yes, there is some trash at times, yes, there is 'tar'; yes, there is seaweed. But it is still awesome! The T-Heads in Corpus Christi Bay are great to buy fresh shrimp from the boats each day, and there are trucks you can buy it from on the island.

Incidentally, if there is a shrimping moratorium, the waters become clear for that time, usually around 2 weeks in the summer.

There is drug activity, without as much police or sheriff interference as there should be. A person just needs to use caution, as you would anywhere.

I have been to many beaches; Hawaii, Caribbean, Florida, and will take N. Padre any day.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:49 AM

12 posts, read 26,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post
Texas beaches aren't as pretty, sand tends to be gray, water murky, but they are still nice, and have more surf than the Florida Gulf beaches.
Matter of opinion; they just seem more natural to me. Also - if you catch N Padre during a shrimping moratorium, the water becomes crystal clear. It's the shrimping boats dragging their net each day that stirs up the water and makes it look murky at times.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:35 PM

102 posts, read 240,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelNurse55 View Post
Matter of opinion; they just seem more natural to me. Also - if you catch N Padre during a shrimping moratorium, the water becomes crystal clear. It's the shrimping boats dragging their net each day that stirs up the water and makes it look murky at times.
Just curious-they dont do any shrimping in Florida?

Old 06-15-2009, 10:17 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 436,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelNurse55 View Post
I could see the shrimp boats having an impact on the BAY, but not on the GULF. It seems more directly tied to the surf. When the waves are up, it's more murky, when the surf is flat, it's clearer.

And - believe me - I'm not complaining about the beaches! I'm there just about every weekend in the summer, and I love it! However, they are not the typical "tropical paradise" that some may be looking for.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:19 AM

1,986 posts, read 1,551,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post
I could see the shrimp boats having an impact on the BAY, but not on the GULF. It seems more directly tied to the surf. When the waves are up, it's more murky, when the surf is flat, it's clearer.

And - believe me - I'm not complaining about the beaches! I'm there just about every weekend in the summer, and I love it! However, they are not the typical "tropical paradise" that some may be looking for.
Also that is because it is part of the South Texas desert which certainly isnt tropical jungle-like in nature,,, take away the planted palms over the years and all the foliage that has been brought in and you would have mesquite and scrub oak/post oak , sea oats ,salt grass ect ... Nurse is right,, that is just what this part of the country looks like naturally...

Old 06-29-2009, 03:49 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 436,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Also that is because it is part of the South Texas desert which certainly isnt tropical jungle-like in nature,,, take away the planted palms over the years and all the foliage that has been brought in and you would have mesquite and scrub oak/post oak , sea oats ,salt grass ect ... Nurse is right,, that is just what this part of the country looks like naturally...
Yep...the semi-arid trying to mask itself as the semi-tropical!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi