U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:54 PM

565 posts, read 1,113,371 times

Advertisements

When I moved to Texas a short time ago, I remember someone mentioning to stay away from a certain part of Padre Island because there was gang activity. I can't remembe if it was North Padre Island or South Padre Island??? Which is the safest part for a family ?

Also,...I've heard a lot of folks rave about "Port A" but I can't get excited about it because all the pictures I've seen of the lodging accomodations show a long pier to get to the beach area and there is lots of weeds plus yellow sand.... yuk!

I'm used to going to the beautiful Destin/Fort Walton Florida area beaches where lodging is available right on the beach, - walk out the door a few steps to clean white soft sand and beautiful sparkling waves. The sand looks like sugar. Sigh....

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 02:23 PM

384 posts, read 1,455,599 times
Quote:
I'm used to going to the beautiful Destin/Fort Walton Florida area beaches ...
I'll be very interested to see your opinion of Texas beaches, as I'm hoping to travel there myself this summer.
I have a condo in Gulf Shores,AL, and have been vacationing along the Florida Panhandle and Alabama beaches all my life.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:16 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 436,183 times
Texas beaches aren't as pretty, sand tends to be gray, water murky, but they are still nice, and have more surf than the Florida Gulf beaches.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatex View Post
I have a condo in Gulf Shores,AL, and have been vacationing along the Florida Panhandle and Alabama beaches all my life.
Why in the world would anyone want to leave those beautiful beaches with the white sand to vacation on a Texas beach with the rough dirty looking sand ?

I would much rather spend time in Destin, Fort Walton Beach but there aren't any direct flights to get there

Old 05-04-2009, 03:44 PM

15,247 posts, read 17,800,170 times
If there is gang activity on North Padre Island, it would only be dangerous at night. All the Gulf beaches are safe during the day for a family. I'm not saying that any of them ARE dangerous at night, but you could find yourself in a fairly isolated spot with no one to call for help if you needed it.

I don't find the sand to be rough or dirty, but it may just be a matter of what you're used to. And the walk to the beach is not a big deal at Port Aransas. There's a limit to how close people can build to the waterline to help protect against erosion. And you're not seeing "weeds" but different native grasses that also help with erosion.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:49 PM

808 posts, read 3,368,785 times
The reason why hotels in Port A aren't right on the beach is because of the dunes.

And yes, seaweed can be bad on all of the Texas coast. This has to do with the currents. I believe that local authorities come through to clean the beaches of seaweed on a regular basis.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:26 PM

304 posts, read 1,051,138 times
Gang Activity? On the island? Anywhere in CC other than the worst area of the city? Define gang activity.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
Gang Activity? On the island? Anywhere in CC other than the worst area of the city? Define gang activity.
I really don't know what was meant by "Gang Activity", when I heard the remark a few years ago.
All I know is when I first moved to Texas, I heard someone say..Padre Island was nice but to stay away from "_ _ _" Padre Island because that's where the Gangs hang out and a rougher crowd in general.
I can't remember if it was North or South Padre Island... ?
Was hoping to get more info here to clearify.
Of course, I realize wondering down a beach alone, late at night is not too wise if it is in a deserted area of the beach. I am more interested in normal beach times.. However, it would be nice to be able to be there to watch the sunset.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:38 PM

808 posts, read 3,368,785 times
A few years ago, country star Pat Green was attacked on a beach at South Padre Island. Perhaps that is what that remark was referencing.

Country Artist Pat Green Attacked In Texas | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/retail-trade/miscellaneous-retail-retail-stores-not/4619046-1.html - broken link)

Old 05-05-2009, 07:18 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 436,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
However, it would be nice to be able to be there to watch the sunset.
Since the beach faces east, the sunset is behind the dunes. Still a pretty time of day at the beach, for sure, but don't expect to see the sun setting OVER the water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi