U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2007, 10:37 PM

25 posts, read 118,114 times

Advertisements

Still trying to get info about living in Port A. I found a rental for one year, fully furnished, bills paid. Looks great. Not far from the beach. I haven't paid for the place yet..as I'm still deciding.

I've been to Port A many times on vacation, but wondering what it is like there in the fall and winter. I'm a single mom with a child who will be in 4th grade there for one year at the little school. The school, I'm assuming, isn't the best in texas, but the fact the class size is 14 to one teacher is amazing to me...as I'm used to seeing more like 35 to 1! My child will at least get some one on one attention for a change!!

I'm a freelance writer and consultant and I'm going down to relax for a year and reassess my life and figure out what/where is next for me. I work from my laptop, so I'm covered as far as work.

I'm just wondering what it is like to live there year-round. What are the locals like? Lots of people my age (39)? Or more retirees? Are there many middle class folks there...or is it one extreme to the other? Also...I'm assuming Port A has more republicans than democrats? That part won't be great for me...but I guess no place is perfect!

Anything else anyone with knowledge would like to share, I'd love to hear it.

thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 08:42 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,627,381 times
I'm in CC and only go to PA occasionally, so I don't have any real solid knowledge about it, but nevertheless I think it's probably a great place to spend a year relaxing and reassessing. It will be very relaxing in the fall and winter--just locals and Winter Texans. There are some new high-dollar developments going in, but my guess is there are still plenty of local, probably colorful, characters. It's the kind of place where people still walk barefoot down the sidewalk. In the summer it will feel like you're on vacation all the time.

Don't know a thing about the schools or politics though....
Still, I think you oughta do it!

Old 04-05-2007, 07:11 PM

2,393 posts, read 8,820,400 times
My mom is a retired full time Rver and she is down there at all times and she said winters are filled up with the snowbirds in the rvs and elsewhere. Lots of good birding though.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:39 PM

321 posts, read 1,352,842 times
Default POrt A

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantAnAdventure View Post
Still trying to get info about living in Port A. I found a rental for one year, fully furnished, bills paid. Looks great. Not far from the beach. I haven't paid for the place yet..as I'm still deciding.

I've been to Port A many times on vacation, but wondering what it is like there in the fall and winter. I'm a single mom with a child who will be in 4th grade there for one year at the little school. The school, I'm assuming, isn't the best in texas, but the fact the class size is 14 to one teacher is amazing to me...as I'm used to seeing more like 35 to 1! My child will at least get some one on one attention for a change!!

I'm a freelance writer and consultant and I'm going down to relax for a year and reassess my life and figure out what/where is next for me. I work from my laptop, so I'm covered as far as work.

I'm just wondering what it is like to live there year-round. What are the locals like? Lots of people my age (39)? Or more retirees? Are there many middle class folks there...or is it one extreme to the other? Also...I'm assuming Port A has more republicans than democrats? That part won't be great for me...but I guess no place is perfect!

Anything else anyone with knowledge would like to share, I'd love to hear it.

thank you!!!
Where are you from? Port A is a great place but can be a culture shock for out of State people for an entire year... It is VERY TEXAS!

Old 04-06-2007, 03:05 PM

Default When you say VERY TEXAS...,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti0 View Post
Where are you from? Port A is a great place but can be a culture shock for out of State people for an entire year... It is VERY TEXAS!
I do understand that....but I wasn't sure how much so! That was part of my question. I was disappointed, although not surpirsed, that Port A folks voted mostly Bush. I was raised in Dallas and moved to the great NW in my 20s and now I'm 39 and want to be in the same state as family (they are in austin and dallas). I do feel like I don't match many ways of Texas any longer...but I can deal with it! I guess I just wasn't sure what to expect as far as other kids for my son to play with...and what kind of families would he be exposed to. Could be great or a disaster, the way I see it!!

Are you a local Port A person?? I spent many summers there, but, of course, vacation and living are very different things. The times I was there, the only locals I met worked in the grocery store..and everyone else was a tourist. Getting any information online about the town has been difficult. For instance, they have a PTO (parent-teacher organization), but it has no website. The school has a website, but it is very limited....and they school staff won't give me any info about any parents because of the privacy/security concerns we all have these days.

But we love the beach life and cannot afford California. My family being a half-day drive or quick flight away is appealing for my son's sake. Austin is more liberal...but I just didn't like it all that much because it was too croweded and too pricey for me. When I can afford a nice house in the hills, I'll be there!

Anyway....I'm still mulling it over....but hoping to get as much info about port a as possible.

thank you..and if you care to share more, I'd love to hear it.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:12 PM

788 posts, read 3,831,553 times
I can't offer you any info. on Port A. or Texas, but listen to me and go for it! Otherwise, you'll always wonder, "What if"?

Old 04-07-2007, 10:05 PM

4 posts, read 27,434 times
I live in Corpus and the political mix is more balanced here. Retirees tend to be conservative -not there yet, but feel it coming on. Moved here a year ago from out of state and love it. Nice people, nice climate. Port A should be fun - and when you get bored there's a decent sized city 20 minutes away.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Glad to hear balanced political mix in CC....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatex View Post
I live in Corpus and the political mix is more balanced here. Retirees tend to be conservative -not there yet, but feel it coming on. Moved here a year ago from out of state and love it. Nice people, nice climate. Port A should be fun - and when you get bored there's a decent sized city 20 minutes away.
....and that certainly helps a lot!! I really got excited when I heard there may be a Whole Foods market coming to CC! We are surrounded by organic, healthy groceries here in Portland...and that was one thing I didn't want to lose by moving to south texas. Funny how those little things become so important!

Best wishes...

Old 04-08-2007, 08:47 PM

4 posts, read 27,434 times
Default try out the Ying Yang Fandango in CC

they apparently have their own web site. Also be aware that the university (Texas A&M-Corpus Christi) has attracted a community of life-long "learners" and skate boarders and one of their students has been elected Miss High Times - I guess some sort of poster child for the movement to legalize marijuana.

So it isn't Berkeley, California, but it isn't Orange County either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi