Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 12:46 AM

3 posts, read 15,151 times

Advertisements

I lived in Padre Isles for 16 years, on the canals. We often went to the "ski hole", which was just an undeveloped part of the canals, and swam there often. The bottom is 100% sand, and we never had any problems with bad water or sea critters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 06:05 PM

5 posts, read 27,330 times
I've been attacked by great white sharks over 40 times while swimming in the canals.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:57 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 481,015 times
I'm suprised to hear about all of these canal swimming experiences (well, except the shark attacks, that's totally expected....).

I don't even like swimming in the BAY, I think of it as "dirty" compared to the Gulf. I would have thought the canals were horrible. Guess you learn something new every day.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post
I'm suprised to hear about all of these canal swimming experiences (well, except the shark attacks, that's totally expected....).

I don't even like swimming in the BAY, I think of it as "dirty" compared to the Gulf. I would have thought the canals were horrible. Guess you learn something new every day.
I have to agree with you. I had my sailboat in the Key Allegro Marina, Rockport for 3 years and I considered the water in the canals to be very dirty and polluted. Consider, all of the streets and yards drain into the canals, so you have trash, moter oil and coolant, yard chemicals, all washing down into the canals and stewing there, as they are not part of a natural river drainage system that flushes out much during rain storms.

I had no choice but to swim in it on occasion trying to keep the barnacles cleaned off my propeller, and I hated doing it. Wore a wet suit and showered off quickly after getting out of that dirty water.

All of the pollution our culture is adding to the environment is probably part of the reason our cancer rate is rising.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:07 PM

49 posts, read 153,187 times
So, Im confused. are the canals clean, pretty and swimmable, or dirty, polluted and shark and gator infested? Ive heard both sides in this thread and want to know If I do move to CC or the surrounding areas where it is safe for my kids to play and swim. One of the main reasons Im bypassing Florida, despite its beauty, is the Gators. Im afraid my daughters will try and swim in our pool and get attacked. I had no clue there were gators in Texas too, there arent any on the California coast

Old 09-15-2009, 03:29 PM

A canal is just a man made ditch that has no freshwater source to wash it out during rainstorms, other then the water that washes off of the street into the storm sewer system. Would you go swimming in the storm sewer?

Aligators are more common in Florida then Texas but they are still around. You have less chance of encountering one in a residential area, but its still possible.

FWC - Alligator Facts

Old 09-15-2009, 03:36 PM

162 posts, read 705,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missWendyS View Post
So, Im confused. are the canals clean, pretty and swimmable, or dirty, polluted and shark and gator infested? Ive heard both sides in this thread and want to know If I do move to CC or the surrounding areas where it is safe for my kids to play and swim. One of the main reasons Im bypassing Florida, despite its beauty, is the Gators. Im afraid my daughters will try and swim in our pool and get attacked. I had no clue there were gators in Texas too, there arent any on the California coast
Yes, there are gators here. Ocassionally, you find them in sewers here in town, too. The Nueces River is right behind my house and I won't let my little dog or kids go near there since there are alligators, as well as alligator gars (although they stay in the water, but still ew!)

Old 09-15-2009, 04:18 PM

49 posts, read 153,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalallenMom View Post
Yes, there are gators here. Ocassionally, you find them in sewers here in town, too. The Nueces River is right behind my house and I won't let my little dog or kids go near there since there are alligators, as well as alligator gars (although they stay in the water, but still ew!)
What, pray tell, is an alligator gar, or do I really even want to know

Old 09-15-2009, 04:36 PM

Alligator Gar is a large fresh water fish. Some can grow quite large and are rather fearsome looking, but they are not known to attack humans.

Alligator gar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In my 32 years in Texas I have seen only 3 in Lake Travis, when droughts made the lake waters really low. Small pets that swim might be at risk but there is not much else to fear from an alligator gar. They are quite passive and shy away from human activities.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:03 PM

162 posts, read 705,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missWendyS View Post
What, pray tell, is an alligator gar, or do I really even want to know
Pretty much the ugliest thing on earth, HA!

Oh, and CptnRN -- that wikipedia picture on there gave me the creeps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi