U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:06 PM

533 posts, read 1,064,129 times

Advertisements

We are fairly new to Texas....been living in Austin for a 1 1/2 now. We are originally from the southern coast of Alabama and we have been trying to find the closest clean beach to Austin. Someone suggested Port Aransus.

We have an 8 year old daughter so we are looking for some ideas on things to do while in Port Aransas that are family oriented. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on affordable motels/hotels in the area. We have a 5lb Chihuahua that will be traveling with us. We will only be staying overnight just to check out the area.

Thanks in advace for any suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:33 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 436,254 times
Not exactly in Port A, but check out the Texas State Aquarium. Your daughter should love it. Take the ferry over to Aransas Pass (a cool - but brief - experience in itself...get out of the car and look for dolphins!), and it's about a 30 minute drive.

Also, the Aransas Wildlife Refuge is maybe an 45 minutes from Port A. Nice hiking.

If you're just staying overnight, you may want to just spend the day on the beach!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 AM

Thanks SOM, that gives me a start.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:25 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,803,474 times
You can probably find a cheaper place to stay in CC and then spend the day in Port Aransas. I would just look at some of the chains--Best Western, etc. and see if you can find a good rate. I would NOT stay close to the airport or anywhere on Leopard street. Map whatever motels you find and make sure they're either on Ocean Dr., Shoreline Blvd., or even South Padre Island Drive (SPID), close to the cross streets of Nile, Airline, Staples, Everhart, or Weber. Then, like SOM said, spend the day on the beach, drive around Port A and go to the Aquarium if you have time.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:47 AM

384 posts, read 1,455,704 times
Like the original poster, I'm from Alabama, and I'm looking forward to visiting the beaches in the Port Aransas area for the first time later this month, as a side trip from visiting my brother in San Marcos.

My brother showed me a link to the Holiday Inn Sunspree that looked pretty nice, but we haven't made any reservations yet. Is it a good place to stay, or does anyone have any better suggestions ?

Old 05-07-2009, 07:57 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,659,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You can probably find a cheaper place to stay in CC and then spend the day in Port Aransas. I would just look at some of the chains--Best Western, etc. and see if you can find a good rate. I would NOT stay close to the airport or anywhere on Leopard street. Map whatever motels you find and make sure they're either on Ocean Dr., Shoreline Blvd., or even South Padre Island Drive (SPID), close to the cross streets of Nile, Airline, Staples, Everhart, or Weber. Then, like SOM said, spend the day on the beach, drive around Port A and go to the Aquarium if you have time.
Darn good advice. Stay away from Leopard locales. I would also check out priceline.com and try to set your rate, as hotels have been struggling for business in this recessive economy. That is what I did when I first came to Corpus when scoping out my job back in early February, and I stayed out on Padre Island at the Holiday Inn Sunspree for 60 bucks a night!

Ian

Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 PM

Leopard locales???? Do tell....

Old 05-08-2009, 03:38 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,659,069 times
The areas on Leopard, east of Rand Morgan to downtown are definately considered a rougher side. There are only a handful of hotels on this route though. Staying along NPID, SPID (358), or along Ocean or Shoreline Drives are good bets. I would also consider Portland, if you are going up to Port A, that way you can jump on the free ferry at Aransas Pass.

Ian

Old 05-08-2009, 06:27 AM

163 posts, read 637,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Darn good advice. Stay away from Leopard locales. I would also check out priceline.com and try to set your rate, as hotels have been struggling for business in this recessive economy. That is what I did when I first came to Corpus when scoping out my job back in early February, and I stayed out on Padre Island at the Holiday Inn Sunspree for 60 bucks a night!

Ian
Good advice -- I'd also like to throw in to google promotional codes, so not only can you lock in your price, but if you find a promo code that'll knock the price down even more.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:09 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,803,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalallenMom View Post
Good advice -- I'd also like to throw in to google promotional codes, so not only can you lock in your price, but if you find a promo code that'll knock the price down even more.
At the risk of getting off topic, what's a google promotional code?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi