U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 13,610 times

Advertisements

I am about to relocate down there for a job from Ft Worth. I have been looking around at apartments and wondering if anybody had any insight into something nice in the downtown area. I am looking to keep costs to a minimum so the cheaper the better. I am hoping for someting around $600. My office is near Sherrill Park on Shoreline so I am looking for something as close to that as possible. it may be a pipe dream and I may have to commute but I would like to cut down on my current 40 min commute but still stay somewhere nice. thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:34 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,794,597 times
Don't worry--you won't have a 40-minute commute no matter where you live--it'll be 25 minutes, max. There is a nice new complex called the Bay Vista downtown. I googled it and their smallest floor plan is $899, but you would have about a 1-miunte commute from there. There are condo complexes on Ocean Dr. that you can rent and have a 5 or 10 minute commute. You might want to check the rentals in the Caller-Times classifieds. Also, there are duplexes, 4-plexes and houses for rent within 5 or 10 minutes of where you'll be working. If you find one of those and want me to tell you about the neighborhood or the buildiing, just DM me. I work downtown and live close by and it would be easy for me to drive by a place and take a look.

The 25-minute commute I'm talking about would be if you lived on the Southside, which is full of new complexes. You could also rent an apartment in Portland, which is across the ship channel and would be a 10-15 minute commute.

Good luck and welcome to town!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:54 PM

304 posts, read 1,051,009 times
The Nueces building apartments should be ready soon, right downtown and complete renovation. They start at $640.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:04 PM

3 posts, read 13,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
The Nueces building apartments should be ready soon, right downtown and complete renovation. They start at $640.
yeah I was looking at those, cant really find a dead on date for when one would be able to move in however. That might be a good option however. Anybody have a good idea what I can expect as far as utility bills for a 1 bedroom apartment ie electric and water and such?

Old 05-07-2009, 07:53 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,657,883 times
Alot of apartment complexes will pay most of the water bill. Here at The Rafters Apartments where I live (out on IH 37 in the Calallen area of Corpus), I pay around $150 for electricity in my 2 bed/2 bath, and I keep the temp avg in the apartment at around 75 degrees. I also pay $31/month for water.

I wouldn't just limit myself to downtown Corpus. Although I know you are wanting a short commute, there are alot of other complexes around, some of which are quite nice for less. My commute to downtown from The Rafters is about 12-15 minutes, depending on traffic.

Ian

Old 05-11-2009, 12:23 PM

13,544 posts, read 6,543,120 times
Unless you live out on the island you can pretty much be downtown in 15 minutes or less from anywhere in Corpus. The longest commutes will be from near the Saratoga area because there is so much traffic to get back to the freeway. Traffic in Corpus is nothing like what we have in the metro-plex. I often drive into Corpus about 5:00pm "rush hour" and never even hit much of a slow down. I've never even seen the stop & go we have here ... not saying it can't happen but it would be rare.
Commute is a whole different thing there.

Anything along Ocean, Santa Fe, Alameda or near those intersections will be 10 minutes or less down Ocean Dr. to downtown. There are a lot of apartments in that area. It's also a nice area to live in with good shopping. A quick look on Craig's list shows quite a few apartments that offer all bills paid. You will use your AC more in Corpus than in Fort Worth - longer warm weather and the AC helps with the humidity. I can't imagine that the electric bill would be less than $100 (that's just a guess) so an apartment with all bills paid for $700 (there are some) would be worth a look. If you don't have a lot "stuff" to move, it might be worth while to take a short term lease and then look closer to downtown.

There does seem to be rentals available (today's Craig's list) in the Downtown area in your price range. Living right downtown will save on parking fees which will add up if there is no free parking where you will be working.

When you find something you have questions about - I'm sure many will be willing to give you a better idea of the place/safety/area. There are several places that offer monthly rental if you end up needing something short term until a place is available.

Good Luck

Old 05-11-2009, 09:37 PM

245 posts, read 739,761 times
Welcome to CC. You're going to like it. There are a few apartment complexes on Santa Fe (not sure of their names) which is pretty close to downtown. Portland isn't a bad option either. If the Nueces Lofts would open that would be my first suggestion. It should be a cool area down there once they're finished.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:46 AM

16 posts, read 53,109 times
Look along Santa Fe. It isn't just work, but the hours away from work that make near downtown a pleasure. The buildings may be older in some cases, but scan the car types and ages. It is worth a trip to have a look. Also, contact real estate agents. They may know of something not shown or listed. Choosing the southside is like "choosing" Hurst-Euless-Bedford when you could have lived along Camp Bowie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi