U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 PM

82 posts, read 200,321 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to the Corpus area. If so, we will be moving with a job (near 286 & I-37), so looking for employment isn't a problem. I am leaning toward the Portland area, or something similar, but don't want to spend more than 250K. I am a national artist and would like to be surrounded with nice scenery in a safe area, hopefully with room for a separate studio. I am wondering if the best route is to rent for a year before purchasing, to get used to the area. However, I hate the idea of moving twice in a year and would prefer to avoid it if at all possible.

We have no children at home any longer, so school districts aren't an issue. However, we did go through several hurricanes along the Gulf Coast over the last four years and I'm not totally thrilled with moving to a coastal city again, but it is a good career move for my husband. I loved living near the gulf, but taking the risk of my entire body of work getting wiped out in a storm surge is a bit freaky for me.

I am hoping people can suggest neighborhoods or areas surrounding Corpus proper that I can begin to investigate, hopefully near water or public parks. I do love birding, so that is a plus. Is there any theater in the area? Diverse restaurants? Galleries? I know nothing about Corpus metro area. Also, what are evacuations like? I've been stuck in enough of them to appreciate good evacuation plans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 12:33 AM

13,559 posts, read 6,549,213 times
You really need to come down and look around - lots of nice areas in Corpus, Portland and Rockport - all close to the water. I'm sure a good real estate agent will be able to find you just what you are looking for. Corpus is not the big city but there is a small theater, a nice Art Museum and a few galleries. Rockport has a lot of artists and an art association. Couple of famous artists from Corpus. I think you will like it.

The Texas coast is not like the Louisiana or Florida coast when it comes to the Hurricanes. It's not unusual for a storm to hit Florida and travel up the coast or a big storm in low lying LA can cover a lot of area. The last big storm in Corpus was Celia in 1970. The one good thing I can say about Governor Perry is he is pretty good with the disaster stuff - evacuation routes are pretty good and from Portland you would already be across the Harbor Bridge. They send people out in waves - those in hospitals, nursing facilities and retirement complexes have to leave first. Most people don't bother to leave unless they live on the island or in a low area. Most of it is fine with no surge. It's the after the storm part that is worse with loss of power. I wouldn't worry too much about the hurricanes.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:03 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 436,183 times
I would consider the Del Mar area or the Lamar Park area (or pretty much anything between Alameda and Ocean Drive). These are in CC proper, fairly close to downtown. However, traffic is absolutely not an issue in these areas, the neighborhoods are well established, the homes are a little older and funkier, probably more likely to find something with an extra room that could become a studio. These areas are close to the Bay, but are actually pretty high above sea level. The Bay provides a bit of a buffer from the full force of a hurricane as well. Finally, these areas are close to restaurants and the more interesting shopping areas. And there are a bunch of parks along Ocean Drive, which these neighborhoods are near.

If you like birding, make sure to visit the Hans Suter Wildlife Area!

> Is there any theater in the area? Diverse restaurants? Galleries?

I suspect that Portland might be a bit "pedestrian" for your tastes!

There are a few galleries, and a nice Art Center downtown. They recently had their annual weekend arts festival which was really interesting.

CC is a little weak on the restaurant scene, but it's not horrible by any means. A couple Middle Eastern places, some Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, Italian, one or two top-notch Texas BBQ joints, Mexican food (of course!), seafood (not as much or as good as you would expect).

The Harbor Playhouse is the community theatre, and they have a pretty constant run of shows, ofetn leaning towards family musical fare. The do a *little* bit of edgier stuff (an incredible version of Children of a Lesser God just closed). Both Del Mar Jr. College and Texas A&M CC have theatre departments and nice stages. Plus we have a traveling Broadway season.

SHAMELESS PLUG: Go see my daughter as Gertrude McFuzz in Seussical at the Harbor Playhouse....she's awesome!

Good luck with your decision! I have a love-hate relationship with CC....I've left several times, but I always miss it and move back!

Old 05-14-2009, 10:08 AM

808 posts, read 3,368,785 times
Rockport tends to be more artsy than Portland. Portland does have a bit of an art scene, though - look Dinah Bowman up; she has a gallery in Portland. Rockport and CC both have more galleries.

Portland's high school theater program puts on a few shows a year - professional quality, I must say - but that's about it as far as theater in Portland. The Harbor Playhouse is right across the bridge, though.

As far as restaurants, Portland is pretty much dominated by chains. There are a couple of Mexican restaurants, a Chinese restaurant, and a Vietnamese restaurant. CC has a more diversified restaurant scene, and the nice thing about living in Portland is that most of the restaurants in CC are never more than a 20 minute drive away, but you get a higher level of city services and a better school district (I know this isn't a major concern, but it does affect resale value!) than CC offers.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:59 AM

37 posts, read 88,124 times
Default Where are you from ?

I lived in Portland for several years, it is a nice, smaller town, which has expanded over the years to include a few restaurants, movie theater, and Starbucks. Not a bad place to live, better if you have children, but I would definitely recommend Rockport and for $250,000 you could get a very nice home in either place or a condo with a water view in Rockport. I definitely think Rockport would be more up your alley, and if you have a chance, go to Julie's Backyard Bistro (if she is still open), which is located between Rockport and Portland.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:18 PM

82 posts, read 200,321 times
I actually thought about Rockport, but was afriad that might be too far from downtown Corpus. How far of a drive is that? I've been to Rockport once in the 80's when I went for the Hummingbird Festival. I'll have to peruse the board for info on Rockport as well.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:49 PM

808 posts, read 3,368,785 times
Rockport to downtown CC is about 30 miles.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:39 PM

15,247 posts, read 17,800,170 times
Quote:
SHAMELESS PLUG: Go see my daughter as Gertrude McFuzz in Seussical at the Harbor Playhouse....she's awesome!
We went to Seussical this weekend because a friend's daughter is a Who, and your daughter was indeed truly awesome. She's a beautiful girl with a beautiful voice. Congratulations! Overall the show was really good and I so was impressed with our local talent.

It's playing for two more weekends, if anyone is wishing for something fun to do.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:13 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 436,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
We went to Seussical this weekend because a friend's daughter is a Who, and your daughter was indeed truly awesome. She's a beautiful girl with a beautiful voice. Congratulations! Overall the show was really good and I so was impressed with our local talent.

It's playing for two more weekends, if anyone is wishing for something fun to do.
Wow, thanks for the kind words! I'll make sure to show this to my daughter!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi