U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,400 times

Advertisements

Which would be a better place to build a nice new rv park ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 08:53 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,632,035 times
I doubt if anyone on here can answer that for you. You need to come down and look around. Both cities have code restrictions and the price of land varies greatly depending on location. Also, there are Texas Windstorm regulations you have to think about.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:26 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,749,737 times
In Rockport Kathy Tullis or Dee yturide (Sp)>

Rockport is more of a mix and real community -Port A almost all tourist. Both have pretty good school districts. The ferry on weekends and when there are 30 minute waits gets old really quickly.

Rockport still has some inexpensive properties although you will spend $150k on a decent house. There is lots of cheap land however.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:50 AM

480 posts, read 986,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAliJohns View Post
Which would be a better place to build a nice new rv park ?
I think Port A is going to be very restrictive on constructing a new RV park just because of space and wildlife preservation restrictions.

Rockport and the areas south toward Aransas Pass have a ton of RV parks already.

What would be nice, in my humble opinion, is to take over one or more of the older RV parks off Business 35 and South Fulton Beach Road in Rockport and update/upgrade them. Many have been there for years and are suffering a bit from that aging. They need larger pads to accommodate the increase in size of the RV (some 5th wheels, for example, are over 44 feet long plus tow vehicle), need more space between these RV pads, and wider lanes/turning lanes to accommodate longer vehicles. Some of the larger Class A motorhomes have a real problem with these tight turns.)

Many have pools but could use more bath houses, picnic tables, covered shelters to get out of the Texas heat, and other common use areas.

The silver lining to the "update/upgrade" option is that many RV parks in Rockport have a very dedicated clientele who come back year after year, therefore, there is a steady, predictable customer base.

Lots of the more popular (read: updated and spacious) RV parks even have a waiting list that is two or three year long even though they are asking somewhat higher rates for site rentals. I know because I'm on a couple of those.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:50 PM

372 posts, read 481,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Don't forget, Port A is also a great place to buy flip flops.

and t-shirts, and shorts.

And there is an IGA grocery store there, as well as several places where you can buy fresh fish and beer.

What more does a person need?
That's the way I remember it, from vacations there many years ago.
My extended family all lived in Alice, and my grandparents owned a little cottage
on Avenue A. We went there often with them.

I still don't understand how all those grandkids fit into that tiny house.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:25 AM

7 posts, read 16,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanksABunch View Post
We're considering a move to the Texas coast and have narrowed it down to Port A or Rockport. We are not concerned with buying just yet..but renting. Rent is cheaper in Rockport, we have found.

Can anyone give us the rundown on the differences between these towns...especially with overall views (is one more liberal than another or are they both very "texas"?

Does one have better schools than another? (We have a child going into 4th grade next fall.)

I hear Rockport has a beach...and is it as nice as Port A?

Anything else we should know about the differences?

We have actually spent time in Port A but not Rockport...so we kind of know the vibe of Port A and realize it is more of a tourist place...but Rockport is a place we have only passed through.

Thank you!!
I live in Rockport. In my opinion there is no comparison between Rockport and Port A when it comes to which is better for full time living. Rockport is way better. Port A is basically tourist shops, tourist restaurants, tourist traffic, tourist prices. Port A is great to visit but if you want to go to a decent grocery store or walmart or Lowes or something like that you are a ferry ride, which can sometimes be a pain and take forever, away from Aransas Pass or you have to go down Mustang Island cross over to Corpus and hit SPID which is about a half hour or 40 minute car ride. Port A has a nice beach which is directly on the ocean so if you like waves it's better than Rockport's beach which is just on Aransas Bay but it's a blue wave beach so it's super clean. It cost 15 bucks a year for a pass but there is a parking spot near the entrance where you can park and just walk in for free if you don't want to spend the money. Rockport has an HEB and Walmart, Fulton has really nice restaurants and bars. Rockport is a pretty quiet town, lots of tourists like Port A but lots of regular working folks too. Rockport has pretty much everything you need and is a nice easy drive over to Portland and Corpus. That's just my opinion though Port A is a fun place to be but for me it's not a place I would want to live full time.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:33 PM

35 posts, read 137,681 times
I didn't realize I had been gooooone so long from this site until I read my last post. Anyway, last time I posted I was living in Iowa but finally sold my house and moved back to Texas!!! Took 22yrs but I'm bacccck! OK, onto my dilemma NOW....I plan to move closer to the coast, prob Port A or Rockport but trying to determine if buying a 5th wheel or mobile home...pro's and con's of both. I have visited various parks that house both but what I am not considering? Space difference; obvious difference! Cost of upkeep? Insurance? What else??

Old 05-21-2015, 12:39 PM

16,769 posts, read 42,857,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophawk36 View Post
I live in Rockport. In my opinion there is no comparison between Rockport and Port A when it comes to which is better for full time living. Rockport is way better. Port A is basically tourist shops, tourist restaurants, tourist traffic, tourist prices. Port A is great to visit but if you want to go to a decent grocery store or walmart or Lowes or something like that you are a ferry ride, which can sometimes be a pain and take forever, away from Aransas Pass or you have to go down Mustang Island cross over to Corpus and hit SPID which is about a half hour or 40 minute car ride. Port A has a nice beach which is directly on the ocean so if you like waves it's better than Rockport's beach which is just on Aransas Bay but it's a blue wave beach so it's super clean. It cost 15 bucks a year for a pass but there is a parking spot near the entrance where you can park and just walk in for free if you don't want to spend the money. Rockport has an HEB and Walmart, Fulton has really nice restaurants and bars. Rockport is a pretty quiet town, lots of tourists like Port A but lots of regular working folks too. Rockport has pretty much everything you need and is a nice easy drive over to Portland and Corpus. That's just my opinion though Port A is a fun place to be but for me it's not a place I would want to live full time.
Good post, I agree with all of this. Port Aransas has a very small permanent population, 3,666, so most of the people you will encounter there are visitors and tourists.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:48 AM

15,246 posts, read 17,632,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoia View Post
I didn't realize I had been gooooone so long from this site until I read my last post. Anyway, last time I posted I was living in Iowa but finally sold my house and moved back to Texas!!! Took 22yrs but I'm bacccck! OK, onto my dilemma NOW....I plan to move closer to the coast, prob Port A or Rockport but trying to determine if buying a 5th wheel or mobile home...pro's and con's of both. I have visited various parks that house both but what I am not considering? Space difference; obvious difference! Cost of upkeep? Insurance? What else??
Which is easier to move if a hurricane is threatening? If you have the ability to pack up and evacuate your entire home, I would consider that a plus if everything else is equal. Also, that mobility would give you other options with potential relocation if you don't like the first spot you pick.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:04 AM

1,050 posts, read 742,052 times
I've been through 3 hurricanes in Rockport and didn't need to move once. The Southern Part of of the county has barrier islands which serve as some measure of protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi