Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 4,057 times

Advertisements

hello everyone... just as you might have guessed it, this is another "moving to CC message" for everyone to read. I have taken the time to read quite a few of the messages in this forum. Based on what I have read, for every person that says to move here, there is someone who says don't move here... so as you can imagine i am still confused.

The one main question i have on my mind is: How much do you all pay for electricity? Since I guess the central a/c is on pretty much 8 or 9 months a year, does that get expensive?

Have any of you been to the east coast to compare the types of "It's darn hot out" feelings between CC and say New York or Philadelphia? For example, right now at my house outside, its 80 Degrees, and 80% humidity outside and you immediately feel the heat engine pushing in your face. The air is very thick and you immediately start to sweat because of the humidity. The weather is quite oppressive, and has been this way for some time now. When i go to weather.com, it says that right now, Corpus is 86 degrees with 70% humidity. So do you guys feel the same way right now? Is it different because you are by the water? Is the weather quite oppressive and hard to breath?

I have read numerous messages about "Oh there are terrible gang problems", or "the crime is awful"... okay, how would you compare Corpus crime to a place like New York or Philadelphia? Yes, those are very big cities, but I live outside of the city, and the crime is not "bad", but its annoying.

And lastly, the most important, is there a really good "International District" or "Chinatown" within driving distance? I cannot live without good Dim Sum or a nice plate of authentic Chinese style noodles. Not the typical Americanized Chinese food with carrots and celery in it.

Thanks to anyone who would like to reply and help me out. It seems that from what i have read, everyone is really nice in Corpus, so if nothing else, that is a big plus! I have lived in many places in the US, like the west coast, and the midwest, so the "change of pace" isnt a big deal, and I don't care about night-life and what-have-you... so its okay if you tell me its boreing in CC. As long as there is some type of Home Depot or Lowes and a large city type Mall, Costco or Sams or BJs (big box stores on the east coast), and possibly a Walmart somewhere it will be okay. And Oh yah, is there anyone that is retired military that can msg me?

so thank you all for any information. i appreciate it very much.

Last edited by Bo; 08-27-2009 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: Updated title to make thread easier to find with search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 09:21 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Yes, the heat is oppressive and it stays oppressive from June through the end of September. It is completely and utterly miserable right now. I was in NY and Philly a couple of summers ago during a heat wave and it felt about the same, but it lasts for months here. The closer you are to the bayfront, the better breeze you'll get, but hot is still hot.

Your AC bill will depend on the size of your house, the amount of insulation you have and where you keep your thermostat. Oddly enough, our bills have been lower than in previous summers and I can't figure it out. We're in a small old house with very poor insulation but my highest bill so far has been $239. Weird.

Crime and gang problems are only bad if you're involved in crime and gangs. Otherwise, you're not it any more danger than you would be in any other city the size of CC.

There's no international district or Chinatown in driving distance. There are some good Vietnamese and Thai restaurants, but I can't think of any place you can get dim sum closer than San Antonio or Houston. You can get all the breakfast tacos you want though.....

There's a Home Depot, Lowe's, Sam's, a couple of WalMart's and two malls, one of which recently sold and is being updated and one of which is crummy and barely able to stay open.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,057 times
anyone else have any comments?

Old 08-26-2009, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 10,440 times
I move here from central texas where summers get around 105-108 in august but in the 30 to high teens in winter. No snow just ice..... and wind.... So I think Corpus winter are wonderful. As a supervisor I find the work ethic poor compared to north and central tx

Old 08-26-2009, 04:51 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Hu Dat has numerous restaurants in the area and had excellent food. Hu-Dat Restaurant The area has great fresh seafood, especially shrimp.

Crime is not that bad if you stay away from the rough neighborhoods.

I kept a sailboat at Rockport, just North of Corpus for 3 years. Even in the hottest months, evenings were comfortable for walking along the beach, as long as you had a breeze. I think that is the key to being comfortable along the Texas coast, is to live where there is a breeze.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:53 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 481,166 times
Expect to pay a lot for electricity. Of course, it's all dependent on size of house, quality of insulation, and efficiency of AC.....but, all things considered, expect to pay a lot. Avoid a two story house if possible.

It gets HOT and HUMID here, but there are two factors that help:

1 - The humidity combined with a breeze sets up a bit of a "water cooling" cycle....you sweat, the breeze cools you down. The occasional humid day with no breeze is torture.

2 - We get the "golden time of day" every evening around sunset. The wind picks up and the humidity drops, and it is usually very pleasant. I've gotten out from swimming around this time and actually bee *freezing* (in August!). Of course, once the sun sets the air gets thick and sultry.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post
2 - We get the "golden time of day" every evening around sunset. The wind picks up and the humidity drops, and it is usually very pleasant. I've gotten out from swimming around this time and actually bee *freezing* (in August!). Of course, once the sun sets the air gets thick and sultry.
That is such a great time of day. It feels like a reward for making it through all the heat.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,875 times
For Chinese Huh Tai on Alameda is the best. For really authentic stuff call Yoshi Sushi on Everhart and ask Judy(the owner) what Mario can do and how much notice he needs. Mario used to own the restaurant when it was a not well supported high end real chinese place and can do the 10 course meal type stuff. He just needs notice so he can order the stuff from Houston. Houston has great Dim Sum Corpus doesn't have any. Houston's new china town on Bissonet is off 59 in southwest Houston and has everything you need Grocery, bakery, restuaraunts, Dim Sum etc. Noodles you're going to need to shop around on Vietnam, Huh Tai, Huh Dat, Yoshi, and Origami all have good noodles but I am not sure what your style is. Don't be afriad to heavily modify most of the high end places cater to people.

Electricity is expensive and it is really hot compared to the East Coast. However, buildings are nearly all centrally cooled so it isn't that oppressive in going around and doing things. My Summer bill here was cheaper than my winter bill in New York state for heating. Winter here is wonderful. You'll save money not having to buy winter clothes very often.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:15 AM

85 posts, read 233,846 times
Don't look at the weather stats to decide about how the heat is here in Corpus or the humidity. This year has been very odd and for months we were even drier than the Mojave Desert, which isn't normal. Our humidity hasn't been normal either and has been very low (for here). It's almost 6 am and I can't open a window or I'll be dripping in sweat. In Corpus you have 2 choices....either ac or heater. NORMALLY we have 1-2 weeks a year where you can have your windows open but this year we actually had a spring which is very unusual. The heat wave we've had without rain is very unusual and we've broken every weather record Corpus has had this summer. I just paid 560.00 for my electric bill, which is the largest I've ever had. Normally July, Aug, Sept my bill only gets to 450. Other months it's between 275 (in a lucky cool month) and 350 with 350 being the norm.
There is no Chinatown and the Mexican food will shock you as well. Get ready for brown gravy and a very different quality of Chinese and Mexican food than what you're used to. I went to one of the 'finer' Chinese restaurants and they had half of an idea what chop suey is. What the heck, they tried so I give them credit.
Get ready for gang markings all over the place. They can't paint fast enough to get rid of it. So many fences have been painted 5 and 6 times.....those unlucky ones that live in a very visible place.
I live in a 'desirable' part of town and in the last year my property has devalued by 10,000. I've lived in the house for 15 years and over that time it's gone up in value 40,000. My property taxes are 350 a month and I don't even get a street light for that. Mail is delivered to a large box down the street and good luck getting your mail and hope that your neighbors are kind and give you your mail that got put in their slot.
We have ONE grocery chain. HEB. There's a Walmart in a not so great area that has food in it and THEY have choice and prime meats. The HEB's have 'select' quality beef. Sharpen your teeth. I used to buy my meat at a butcher shop but they were closed for selling drugs. Go during the day to the Walmart and buy your meat. Then go at any time to the super HEB but don't forget an item or you have to cross that football field they call a store that is sooooooo badly laid out. You have to make it through the furniture and books and sheets to even get to the food. They're the only ones I know of that can compete with Walmart and win. This year the airfares are waaaaaay down but on a normal year check the prices of flying in and out of Corpus. The airport here is great though. Easy in and out. As for a breeze, I've learned not to wear short dresses because they wind up around my neck. In a normal year we always have strong winds near or away from the beach.
One more thing. The winds blow across the plains of Texas and when that air meets the Gulf air, it dumps all that trash on the city. You'll get to know an allergist by their first name.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:01 AM

We usually have our windows open from November to April or so. We close them and put the heat on when a cool front blows through, but usually only for a few days at a time.

Also, in addition to HEB and WalMart, there is a small Sun Harvest grocery store, an Asian market on SPID and a small Middle Eastern market on Everhart. Moody's Meat Market on Brock is great if you're a meat eater. There's also a Farmer's Market every Saturday in the shopping center on Everhart where the Two George's restaurant is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi