Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 01:16 PM

8 posts, read 15,460 times

Advertisements

My DH works for Sikorsky and Corpus Christi is on our list of possible places to be moved to. Of the total places listed CC seems to be the one that best suits our family's way of life. I do have a few questions regarding healthcare and special needs children. I have a 12 year old that has Asperger's Symdrome. He was also born with congenetal heart defects and has scoliosis. We regularly visit a pediatric ortho and cardio. He also has to have ABA therapy along with speech, OT and PT as provided for autistic children not children with typical speech, OT and PT needs. What kind of facilities are available for my son's needs? He is able to mainstream school and is quite smart, especially in science and math. Which of the school systems are more in tune with students who need to have an assistant provided, extra care, IEP's. I do not want to have to break out lawyers and spend every day at the school babysitting faculty to make sure they provide him with what he is entitled to under federal law. Can you tell I have fought this battle before. I need a school system that is more concerned with their students than getting that piddley bonus of one computer for denying the most special needs students extra services. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 22,074 times
Hi MOW...

I usually don't come to this site but for some reason I ended up here today. Hopefully I'll be able to answer some of your questions.

One of my grandchildren, Natalie is almost 4 years old and has Down syndrome. When we were looking for resources after she was born I was surprised at what CC has to offer children with disabilities. Even though the diagnosis is different it appears some of the medical necessities are the same.

Natalie had open heart surgery when she was 4 months old and just had another cardiac procedure done about 2 months ago. She had it done at Driscoll Children's Hospital in CC. Welcome to Driscoll Children's Hospital
and she came through it all wonderfully. DCH is a very good hospital with some very good doctors.

We have a great group for Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy...etc. and the progress their making is remarkable. I'm trying to remember what other therapies she goes to but I'm drawing a blank right now. Natalie has a great pediatric dentist (Dr. Rojas) whose daughter has Down syndrome. She had some problems with her vision and has had 2 operations so far. We didn't find an eye doctor who we liked in CC so we go to San Antonio for that.

As far as schools go, Natalie hasn't had much contact with Corpus Christi Independent School District (CCISD). She attends the Rise School which focuses on children with developmental delays. When Natalie was first born I looked into CCISD and their programs. At first I wasn't too impressed with them but as time went by and I talked to parents I changed my opinion. Here is the link to their Special Education page: Corpus Christi Independent School District - Special Education . From what I see, CCISD really cares for children with disabilities. I haven't heard of anyone having major issues there. I feel that the teachers are as involved in a child's development as their parents will allow. Unfortunately there are many parents who don't seem to be proactive when it comes to schooling and watch quietly from the sidelines. For those parents who take an active role in their child's education, I feel the teachers and administration strive to bring out the best in the children.

I have a few links posted on my website that I think may help you. The 211 Texas is a good source of info and help. My site is Coastal Bend Down Syndrome Advocates .

I don't know how of if this would apply to you but Texas is not very Medicaid friendly for children with disabilities whose parents work. My kids have 3 jobs, 2 insurance plans and they still can't keep their heads above water with the medical bills. Texas does not have a good "Katie Beckett" waiver for a Medicaid buy in.

Wow...I hope that helped some and that I didn't ramble on too much and that all these words makes sense. My medications tend to make me do that.

Good luck with your move if that's what you decide to do. If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Gregg
Coastal Bend Down Syndrome Advocates

Old 08-23-2009, 09:00 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I have friends with an Asperger's son in CCISD and they have gotten several kinds of assistance you've mentioned. In 1st and 2nd grade he had an aide that he shared with another student when he needed to leave the classroom for whatever reason but I don't think he needs that anymore. They advocate for him, but they've never had to resort to seeking legal assistance. There are also sports teams (baseball and basketball) for special needs kids. There's an Austism support group here. I can't remember the name, but you can probably find a link if you google it.

Good luck with it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi