Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 04:33 AM

9 posts, read 78,772 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Corpus Christi next year and being new to the area I was wondering what sections of the city should I stay out of? I don't want to move there and find out I moved a block from a drug or gang neighborhood. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 09:37 AM

136 posts, read 336,738 times
Well Sir, sorry to say but crime is prevalent everywhere in Corpus. A buddy of mine lives in a really upscale place off of Staples on the South side of town with really expensive houses and has seen a drug bust like 2 blocks over, and a couple of break ins. In Corpus, the town is small enough to where the nice places (where people have nice stuff) is still just a 5 minute ride from the bad.

I would look into the surrounding areas, mainly Portland. It's closer to downtown than virtually any where else in CC. The southside is about 15 minutes away, but the extra drive time is worth living in a VERY quiet community. VERY strong police presence.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:58 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 480,988 times
And, for a different perspective....I have lived in Corpus Christi on and off for a number of years and have never had any problem with crime. (Well, my car got stolen once....I was awakened at night by a call from the police that they had recovered it...tha's how I found out it was stolen!). I have lived on the Southside and in the neighborhoods near Ocean Drive.

Stay away from the west side of town. Calallen and Portland are (supposedly) more "small town" atmosphere, but in my opinion CC is not large enough to warrant a move into the suburbs! A lot of people like these areas though.

My favorite part of CC is the "Gaza Strip" between Alameda and Ocean Drive, bounded by Ayers at one end and Ennis Joslin on the other. Most of the neighborhoods in this area are nice with mature trees, older homes, and light traffic. You are close to everything (including the bay....if you live in CC, be close to the water!), and - going from my experience - crime is not an issue.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:57 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post
My favorite part of CC is the "Gaza Strip" between Alameda and Ocean Drive, bounded by Ayers at one end and Ennis Joslin on the other. Most of the neighborhoods in this area are nice with mature trees, older homes, and light traffic. You are close to everything (including the bay....if you live in CC, be close to the water!), and - going from my experience - crime is not an issue.

Ahhh one of my own heart .. That is my fave also , I would take anything there and I always live in P.A or on Padre.. I grew up here in P.A. but live here now because my husband is from the Netherlands and is still enjoying telling his friends he lives on an island with palm trees but I would move to that neighborhood in a minute. Am in my mid forties and P.A has changed so much , friends all gone , etc , etc, . Everything we do is in CC . I can dream ....

Old 10-08-2009, 12:58 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
I did a detailed study on crime in Corpus and posted the results here //www.city-data.com/forum/corpu...s-christi.html

Old 10-12-2009, 08:32 AM

9 posts, read 78,772 times
Well I actually want to live in San Patricio county but figured I'd stay in CC until I found a reasonably priced rental in San Pat maybe Sinton or Portland.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:02 PM

36 posts, read 141,287 times
I would choose Portland because of it's close proximity to CC. I was a Cop there so I can attest to the low crime rate and community oriented police.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:23 PM

21 posts, read 89,755 times
My wife and I are looking to retire in the CC area. What do you folks think of Padre Island? What're the up-sides and down-sides? We don't need jobs, but I like the immediate access to the ocean.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:12 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishboy Brian View Post
My wife and I are looking to retire in the CC area. What do you folks think of Padre Island? What're the up-sides and down-sides? We don't need jobs, but I like the immediate access to the ocean.
I haven't ever lived on the island but plenty of people obviously do and enjoy it. However, I shudder to think what's going to happen out there the next time a major hurricane with a 15 foot tidal surge hits this part of the coast. It's only a matter of time. Definitely visit and ask lots of questions of your realtor and potential neighbors before you buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi