Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 12:24 PM

136 posts, read 336,853 times

Advertisements

The troll is not me. I have no problem with telling you how I feel about this place from the guise of my own handle... Corpus's 10 or so real attractions can get old after a very short period of time. I guess if you are used to small towns, it'll seem like a big jump but to the "grass is greener", more progressive types (realist), it sucks. And it does. Really. This is to say nothing of the crime or downright mis-management by public officials, and the god awful humidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
CoP, national chain businesses aren't going to be kept out because of a city council. They either want to be in a market or don't want to be in a market. The factor that plays into whether they want to be someone or not is demographics. Companies decide to enter a market based on that not a city council or Mayor.

Corpus is a small market with really low wages and really low incomes across the board that has really small growth for a town its size (415,000 metro).
I somewhat disagree. The city council as well as all facets of local government have the power to use TIF as well as other 'incentives' to assist in luring business. IIRC, Dell was given tons of these by the City of Austin and Travis County in order to keep some of their offices in the area. Some help it was however, given that WilCo (RR) got the Dell HQ. There are still plenty of Dell resources in the Travis County/Pflugerfvlle area however. Given, it's not an end all be all, but it can certainly help to sway an opinion when they offer zero property taxes for like 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 01:41 AM

85 posts, read 233,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
You keep crime to a minimum if you are involved in your neighborhood and insist that your neighbors obey the law by reporting anything and everything that is out of line.
My whole neighborhood got involved because of an out of control dog. There was complaint after complaint about it. Nothing happened except the neighbor put up a double fence to protect his wife each time she got out of her car because of the aggressive dog.
And then one day an officer got nailed by this dog. The dog spent 10 days in lock up and was back to terrorize the block again. When they finally moved, the kids on the block were allowed to play and could be seen riding bikes and having fun again, but for a year they were denied that.
I got involved in politics. I can tell you the personality of each politician we have and give you the address of the lobbyist from Corpus.
Now someone else can give it a try.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
CoP, national chain businesses aren't going to be kept out because of a city council. They either want to be in a market or don't want to be in a market. The factor that plays into whether they want to be someone or not is demographics. Companies decide to enter a market based on that not a city council or Mayor.

No kidding? Go talk to the owners of the new mall. It came down to the very last second because of the city council and managers.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:44 PM

244 posts, read 804,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridalooking View Post
No kidding? Go talk to the owners of the new mall. It came down to the very last second because of the city council and managers.
That's only because to big outside developers were trying to enter into the market (which is a good sign). The developers of La Palmera had only one hangup and that is, they didn't want Crosstown Commons to be built. The city council didn't hold anything up. They are the reason things are finally getting done. And when the economy improves, you watch, the developers of the Crosstown Commons will be back, I can assure it. Because this market has been underserved for too long and they know it. Why do you think they were fighting over who entered the market first. They know there is money to be made here.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
The troll is not me. I have no problem with telling you how I feel about this place from the guise of my own handle... Corpus's 10 or so real attractions can get old after a very short period of time. I guess if you are used to small towns, it'll seem like a big jump but to the "grass is greener", more progressive types (realist), it sucks. And it does. Really. This is to say nothing of the crime or downright mis-management by public officials, and the god awful humidity.

I somewhat disagree. The city council as well as all facets of local government have the power to use TIF as well as other 'incentives' to assist in luring business. IIRC, Dell was given tons of these by the City of Austin and Travis County in order to keep some of their offices in the area. Some help it was however, given that WilCo (RR) got the Dell HQ. There are still plenty of Dell resources in the Travis County/Pflugerfvlle area however. Given, it's not an end all be all, but it can certainly help to sway an opinion when they offer zero property taxes for like 10 years.
You mean to tell me the Alamo, Riverwalk and Fiesta Texas don't get old after a while? If so, you're kidding yourself. Everything gets old after a while. You have to admit CC has a lot to do for such a smaller city. There's no denying that.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
That's only because to big outside developers were trying to enter into the market (which is a good sign). The developers of La Palmera had only one hangup and that is, they didn't want Crosstown Commons to be built. The city council didn't hold anything up. They are the reason things are finally getting done. And when the economy improves, you watch, the developers of the Crosstown Commons will be back, I can assure it. Because this market has been underserved for too long and they know it. Why do you think they were fighting over who entered the market first. They know there is money to be made here.
I hope you get a chance to talk to an owner of the mall about how unwelcome our politicians made them feel.
What stopped the water slide?
What stopped the carnival on the bayfront?
What stopped everything else that wanted to come here? The area is without a doubt ripe for new things
Anaheim, Ca pays through the nose to have Disneyland there and in return they make a fortune, not from Disney, but from the tourists it brings in. That's progressive thinking. Corpus has it the opposite.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:22 AM

136 posts, read 336,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
You mean to tell me the Alamo, Riverwalk and Fiesta Texas don't get old after a while? If so, you're kidding yourself. Everything gets old after a while. You have to admit CC has a lot to do for such a smaller city. There's no denying that.
People who actually live in SA don't go to the Alamo for fun, or Fiesta Texas for that matter. Those are tourist destinations.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:30 AM

162 posts, read 705,614 times
Quote:
I hope you get a chance to talk to an owner of the mall about how unwelcome our politicians made them feel.
What stopped everything else that wanted to come here? The area is without a doubt ripe for new things
Anaheim, Ca pays through the nose to have Disneyland there and in return they make a fortune, not from Disney, but from the tourists it brings in. That's progressive thinking. Corpus has it the opposite.
Worth repeating.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:40 PM

49 posts, read 153,205 times
Default Change?

Quote:
Again, Im not trying to be rude or argumentative here, but I wonder why people in this area don't just combine together to fight for change? Why don't they vote the current politicians who are blocking change OUT of office? Im sure when proposals for change come up, the citizens of CC and the surrounding areas are allowed to vote on them, at least that's the way its done here, where I live at.

Maybe some of those who are upset should run for political office themselves. Theres strength in numbers and Im sure there are a lot of people in CC and the surrounding areas who feel the same disquiet as others do, so how come you guys dont go out and find them? The next time a big project comes up, go out and get petitions signed etc... Complaining doesn't garner change, but action does. It worked in the election of our current president didn't it? :confused :

Old 09-16-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missWendyS View Post
Again, Im not trying to be rude or argumentative here, but I wonder why people in this area don't just combine together to fight for change? Why don't they vote the current politicians who are blocking change OUT of office? Im sure when proposals for change come up, the citizens of CC and the surrounding areas are allowed to vote on them, at least that's the way its done here, where I live at.

Maybe some of those who are upset should run for political office themselves. Theres strength in numbers and Im sure there are a lot of people in CC and the surrounding areas who feel the same disquiet as others do, so how come you guys dont go out and find them? The next time a big project comes up, go out and get petitions signed etc... Complaining doesn't garner change, but action does. It worked in the election of our current president didn't it? :confused :
Yeah, because Obama is doing such a bang up job. Are you kidding me. The people that voted for him will never admit they made a huge mistake. If you want to live in a communist country, move to China.

CC missing out on a carnival on the bayfront? Is that what you think is progress. I do encourage all the development we can get, but most of you don't seem to follow the issues closely enough to make the statements you do. Landry's wanted to own the bayfront for 50 years with us footing the bill for their profit. The city tried to get them to develop on North Beach but they wouldn't. North Beach is full of tourists with money to spend and no where to spend it. If Landry's hadn't been such a pompous group, they could be making millions right now. Instead...nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi