U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 06:45 PM

306 posts, read 361,007 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am seriously thinking of moving to CC from Oregon (Salem) in a couple years. Crazy - maybe but I was born in CC many, many years ago and even though we left when I was 4 or so I seem to have always had a yearning to come back. Anywho... I have followed the comments on this forum for awhile and know some of you don't like CC for a myriad of reasons- that's okay we have many of the same problems and issues here with a smaller population (154,000 vs. 285,000). I am not a night life person, don't need fancy stores for shopping (as long as i can get my computers, camera equipment, cell phone easily) I dress pretty simply, and I don't eat fancy much.

Ok that's way more info than you need for my questions sorry I am just finding myself more excited by this as I think about moving. I am hoping you guys can point me in the direction of some web sites with info on Corpus Christi, I have been looking at caller.com and a couple others are there ones you prefer?

1. do any of you feed birds? I think what i would miss most would be the chickadees, bush ****, nut hatches and downy woodpeckers that come to my feeders on my balcony here.

2. Is a bicycle a decent form of transportation there or does the heat and humidity keep that to the winter months?

3. what is you favorite and worst month of the year wheather wise? When I come to check things out i want to come in those times so I get a feel for good and bad.

4. Do you find the summer totally unbearable or do you (your body) slowly adapt to it? Do you run your air 24/7?

Thanks to all who answer!

Becky
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 02:46 AM

59 posts, read 144,229 times
It is best to do your research before coming that is for sure. One of the best things about Corpus Christi is the cost of living. The recession has had less of an impact here than most areas of the country. Home prices and gas prices are less here than most urban areas of the country.
The weather is harsh. The heat and humidity make it difficult to enjoy the outdoors. You really need to time your activities based on the position of the sun. early mornings and late evenings are tolerable. Doing anything that involves any physical effort during the day is awful. You mention riding a bike. First Corpus Christi is not a bicycle friendly city. There have been a few hit and runs leaving cyclists fighting for their lives. One happened about a month ago. I tried commuting to work via bike and found it to be too hot and sticky to do so.
You mention about "getting used to" the weather. I think there is no way to get used to the heat and humidity. I find I become less tolerant the longer I am here. In fact I would gladly switch places with you. Is it really that rainy up there?
Favorite month would have to be January. Worst month is a tie between May, June, July, August, and September. The funny thing about the winters down here though is the moisture in the air does not go away in winter. I grew up in Canada so cold winters are nothing new. We have several wet cold days here that seem to be bone chilling days. Kind of strange but that is how it is. Hope this helps. Any specific questions just shoot me an email or a direct message. I would like to find out a little more from you about mountain biking in Oregon.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:55 AM

306 posts, read 361,007 times
Thanks for the quick reply! My favorite outdoor activities,birding and bird/nature photography are fortunately best done in the early moring and late evening. Salem calls itself bike friendly but we have also had a rash of folks hit. As a pedistrian I am unfortunate in that I not only have to look out for cars but all the bikes up here! the cyclists can be ruder and more aggresive than the cars when it comes to peds.

We do get a bit of rain, but I think the worst is the grayness of winter,it is dark so much. While we get more daylight in the summer you get about an hour or so more in the winter which I really would rather have.

I do not moutain bike ride but many here do and we have some excellent trails for a variety of skills! Oregon is gorgeous and I have always said there is nothing better than a crisp sunny day in winter. the mold is irritating though!

Becky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or