U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:21 AM

2,601 posts, read 7,810,681 times

Advertisements

Portland' s School District is now only rated as acceptable. Next to the lowest.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 07:26 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,711,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post

2) Great people (almost everyone is friendly and trying to better themselves, but not trying to be something they're not. Just real, genuine people)
Maybe this is why a town doesn't change. Trying to better yourself the real way takes time, commitment and sometimes sacrifice. Well, it takes longer than getting a credit card or cheap credit with no background check. When I first move to So. Fla from CC I was amazed with the big houses (on small lots) and very expensive cars. After a couple of years here trying to better myself, I couldn't understand how so many people could afford this lifestyle. My guess, cheap credit and CC.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:58 AM

136 posts, read 309,911 times
I guess the abundance of opportunity is why so many flock here to get high paying jobs with high advancement opportunity. Most of the people I graduated with in August have already split town. Those that haven't are here because family and other obligations. The massive pool of skilled workers, I'm guessing, is also why Whataburger packed up and headed for San Antonio.

Of course this isn't a 100% generalization, I'm sure there is SOME opportunity, but you are an outlier... My current job is a good starting opportunity, but it's nothing to build a real career on. You hit $40k a year and that's about as high as you'll ever go unless you get appointed to a higher spot by the powers that be.

There are things going on here, but most are quite piddly and poorly planned. To say nothing of the two major Bayfest and Buc Days celebrations that are primarily overrun now by thugs. Yeah I guess I'm bitter that Corpus has really done absolutely nothing in the past 5 years but add a couple semi pro sports teams and a few small thrills here and there, but largely is still the same poor inadequate town it was when I moved here... It was truly a letdown as I thought it would be much better. I've made plenty of good friends here but most of them share in my opinion and they have been here a LOT longer than I have.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:34 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,829,425 times
My 3 favorite things about CC:

1. The water--bayfront and beaches
2. The fact that daily life--driving, grocery shopping, errand running--is easy. Traffic is rarely an issue and parking is never a problem. I've lived in Houston and Austin where finding a parking spot could be a major ordeal and I hate to spend time doing that.
3. Friendly, relaxed, live-and-let-live attitude.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:42 AM

136 posts, read 309,911 times
1) I don't see how so many people can fool themselves about the beaches here... Has anyone here ever been to California? Bayfront? You mean the bombed out downtown? It's great to look at and walk but the bums asking me for money everywhere I go kinda ruins it for me.

2) Have you been to the southside? More specifically the staples SPID area?

3) Yeah I guess if I was a lifer here and had no idea how much better it is anywhere but here, I'd be pretty live and let live as well.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:09 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 436,771 times
no cigar -

Your post smacks of elitism and mean-spirited condemnation. TWO types of people? "Church HEB and Whataburger"?

I can handle legitimate complaints about CC (hell, I can *list* 'em, I've always had a love-hate relationship with CC). However, your little diatribe has nothing "legitimate" about it.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:16 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 436,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
1) I don't see how so many people can fool themselves about the beaches here... Has anyone here ever been to California? Bayfront? You mean the bombed out downtown? It's great to look at and walk but the bums asking me for money everywhere I go kinda ruins it for me.
Have *you* ever been to California? You think CC has panhandler issues??? I've lived in CA and FL, and love our beaches. I lived in Malibu within walking distance of a private beach, and I love our beaches.

Quote:
Seriously? You think that is bad traffic???

Uhhh....have you ever been to California?

Quote:
3) Yeah I guess if I was a lifer here and had no idea how much better it is anywhere but here, I'd be pretty live and let live as well.

What makes you think people don't move away, experience other places, and then move back because THEY DECIDE THEY LIKE IT? People can only choose to live here 'cause they're ignorant?

But, hey, thanks for the parting wisdom.....

Old 09-11-2009, 03:19 PM

15,247 posts, read 17,829,425 times
Quote:

Yes, I've been to California where the water is cold all the time and I've been to the Pacific in Peru as well, where I almost drowned. I like the warm, gentle waters of the Gulf of Mexico. I regularly run, walk and cycle year round on the bayfront. I love to see the pelicans flying over and sitting next to the fishermen, hoping for a treat. Do you think there aren't any bums in Houston, San Antonio or Austin?

I try to avoid the Southside, but go over there for doctors' appointments and some shopping. No matter how bad traffic is, you can get almost anywhere in 20 minutes. I've also lived in Houston and Austin where traffic and parking both are aggravating and annoying.

I lived in Austin for 7 years and was soooo very tired of the hipper-than-thou attitude. I like Houston's energy but hate the traffic. I love San Antonio, too, and would probably be happy there. But I'm here now and while it's not paradise, no place is.

There are lots of things CC could do to develop and improve. But most places are what you make of them. I hope you find someplace where you feel comfortable and happy.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:47 AM

245 posts, read 740,521 times
Funny, cause at my job we've had an influx of Austinites drive down looking for makreting jobs becuase they had no opportunity in Austin. About 30 applicants actually....

Old 09-12-2009, 12:51 AM

245 posts, read 740,521 times
Quote:
I guess the abundance of opportunity is why so many flock here to get high paying jobs with high advancement opportunity. Most of the people I graduated with in August have already split town. Those that haven't are here because family and other obligations. The massive pool of skilled workers, I'm guessing, is also why Whataburger packed up and headed for San Antonio.

Of course this isn't a 100% generalization, I'm sure there is SOME opportunity, but you are an outlier... My current job is a good starting opportunity, but it's nothing to build a real career on. You hit $40k a year and that's about as high as you'll ever go unless you get appointed to a higher spot by the powers that be.

There are things going on here, but most are quite piddly and poorly planned. To say nothing of the two major Bayfest and Buc Days celebrations that are primarily overrun now by thugs. Yeah I guess I'm bitter that Corpus has really done absolutely nothing in the past 5 years but add a couple semi pro sports teams and a few small thrills here and there, but largely is still the same poor inadequate town it was when I moved here... It was truly a letdown as I thought it would be much better. I've made plenty of good friends here but most of them share in my opinion and they have been here a LOT longer than I have.
And SBC packed up their headquarters and moved to Dallas. So what. businesses do what they think is right in order to operate. What has SA done in the last 5 years that is so different from CC? Inadequate town? Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 09-12-2009 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: The Direct Message I sent you explains the issue with what was deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi