U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2009, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Somewhere between Corpus and Austin, TX
136 posts, read 309,566 times
Reputation: 60

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
My last post was obviously in response to no cigar. Forgot to address that.

Thanks for backing me up GabeTX. Agree with everything you just said.

The only thing holding CC back is people like no cigar who trash everything and live their lives with the "grass is always greener" mentality. That makes for a very sad life because people like that will be unhappy wherever they end up.
Funny, I've never seemed to have a problem with Portland... No, actually I look forward to living a very happy life someplace that embraces the idea of dynamics and changing with the times, staying on the cutting edge etc... The posts in this thread merely illustrate my point. You disagree with me because I can see through the Hooks and the Revitalization of a mall thats been the same since the 70s. Congratulations. I'm not tearing those things down just saying that you can't fool me by touting some very isolated attractions when I see a city this run down. Have you driven through parts of the city, the poverty, the torn up streets and old ratty buildings? Downtown? At this rate, who cares about a stinking mall, the whole town needs to be reborn.

...FWIW, Round Rock, the former home of the AA Express which became the Hooks had a population of around 70k when they got the AA team... Their population is now over 100k and they now boast the AAA express. They also happen to be pretty business friendly too, as they are the home of this little Fortune 500 company known as Dell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321
]8) only reason I mentioned La Palmera is because you metioned La Cantera in SA. It's sad for a city that size to be excited over something so mediocre. It's a mall. Who cares???!!
And what exactly is it when people line up around the block for weeks and you read front page headline news, all about a Jack n The Box or Burger King opening up?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2009, 09:19 PM
 
245 posts, read 739,804 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
Funny, I've never seemed to have a problem with Portland... No, actually I look forward to living a very happy life someplace that embraces the idea of dynamics and changing with the times, staying on the cutting edge etc... The posts in this thread merely illustrate my point. You disagree with me because I can see through the Hooks and the Revitalization of a mall thats been the same since the 70s. Congratulations. I'm not tearing those things down just saying that you can't fool me by touting some very isolated attractions when I see a city this run down. Have you driven through parts of the city, the poverty, the torn up streets and old ratty buildings? Downtown? At this rate, who cares about a stinking mall, the whole town needs to be reborn.

...FWIW, Round Rock, the former home of the AA Express which became the Hooks had a population of around 70k when they got the AA team... Their population is now over 100k and they now boast the AAA express. They also happen to be pretty business friendly too, as they are the home of this little Fortune 500 company known as Dell.



And what exactly is it when people line up around the block for weeks and you read front page headline news, all about a Jack n The Box or Burger King opening up?

FWIW, Round Rock has AAA team because of their proximity to Austin. You really think they would have most of the things they do if they were located near Abilene? No. That's like saying Arlington has a MLB team because they are progressive. The Rangers are basically a Dallas team.

And if you really want to go there. Round Rock pop. 100,000 has a AAA team. SA pop. 1.3 million has a AA team. Honestly, the more you type the more ridiculous your arguments become.

Have you driven through the streets of SA? Same thing. It depends on what area you're driving. Talk about rose colored glasses. Gimme a break.

Jack in the Box? Lines around the block? You mean kind of like what happened when they opened a Krispy Kreme in SA. Cars for miles for an entire month!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 09:47 PM
 
245 posts, read 739,804 times
Reputation: 128
Lemonfresh,

1) How are my rankings meaningless and yours are not? you just tell yourself what you want to hear.

2) when I said, "what has SA done in the last 5 years" I wasn't doubting that things have happened there. If you'd read it again, I was saying "what have they done so differently than CC in the last 5 years"? SA gets a Toyota plant. That's great. I'm not denying that. But when CC gets a manufacturing plant or a power plant, it has no value to you? You just write it off as a figment of my imagination...oh, okay. Never mind the jobs and the economic impact of just constructing the facilities.

3) CC has terrible bus service? Where do comments like these come from? You just start making things up. Have you ever used the CC public transit? Because there's no way you could say that if you have. It serves over 7 million riders a year, the buses are immaculate and energy efficient, the route system covers a huge area with more than 1,700 bus stops and 5 large transfer stations, its affordable, all the buses have bike racks. What issues do you have with the public transportation? What could CC do to make it more like SA's buses? Line the seats with gold and have attendands serving coffee and doughnuts? It's just as good if not one of the best mass transit systems I've seen in Texas.

4)So "The Shops" add to the quality of life in SA? But La Palmera, a state of the art arena and a waterfront ballpark (I could go on) don't add to the quality of life in CC? Again...huh???!!!! You're not making any sense.

5) I'm not pissed off. Just comfused and amazed at some of the comments you and no cigar can make. They are ridiculous. I get it. You love SA. I like it too, but to just discount the efforts that CC has made in the last few years simply because they aren't exactly what SA has done, is comical.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 10:14 PM
 
1,131 posts, read 1,549,143 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
How are my rankings meaningless and yours are not? you just tell yourself what you want to hear.
I posted no rankings. Meaningless ranking like: "Best city for this" etc. They're meaningless lists. Everything I posted was fact not some subjective "Best City for Graduates" list.

Quote:
2) when I said, "what has SA done in the last 5 years" I wasn't doubting that things have happened there. If you'd read it again, I was saying "what have they done so differently than CC in the last 5 years"? SA gets a Toyota plant. That's great. I'm not denying that. But when CC gets a manufacturing plant or a power plant, it has no value to you? You just write it off as a figment of my imagination...oh, okay. Never mind the jobs and the economic impact of just constructing the facilities.
WTF are you talking about. You act like we've had some on going conversation. I barely entered into this thread. The way it read was "What has SA done differently." A lot. We've improved our QOL greatly in just the last five years. I never said CC hasn't done the same as well but to think you have to some degree that means you can seriously ask "What has SA done." Wow.

Quote:
3) CC has terrible bus service? Where do comments like these come from? You just start making things up. Have you ever used the CC public transit? Because there's no way you could say that if you have. It serves over 7 million riders a year, the buses are immaculate and energy efficient, the route system covers a huge area with more than 1,700 bus stops and 5 large transfer stations, its affordable, all the buses have bike racks. What issues do you have with the public transportation? What could CC do to make it more like SA's buses? Line the seats with gold and have attendands serving coffee and doughnuts? It's just as good if not one of the best mass transit systems I've seen in Texas.
Yeah, great retort. Fantastic. I've rode on CC buses, I have friends who live in CC who have rode the buses. But hey, my opinion of the terrible bus service in CC is wrong (even thought opinions can't be wrong) because CC transit serves 7 million riders a year and has 1,700 bus stops oh and bike racks. Right.

Quote:
4)So "The Shops" add to the quality of life in SA? But La Palmera, a state of the art arena and a waterfront ballpark (I could go on) don't add to the quality of life in CC? Again...huh???!!!! You're not making any sense.
When and where did I say they never did? Bro, how confused are you?

Quote:
5) I'm not pissed off. Just comfused and amazed at some of the comments you and no cigar can make. They are ridiculous. I get it. You love SA. I like it too, but to just discount the efforts that CC has made in the last few years simply because they aren't exactly what SA has done, is comical.
I never once discounted anything meaningful that has happened in CC. But like I said before, that wasn't what caused me to respond. However, reality is, whether you like it or not, CC has had many great developments in the last 5 years but not that many, and your list of 10 just proves it.

Last edited by lemonfresh; 09-12-2009 at 10:36 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 10:32 PM
 
245 posts, read 739,804 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post


Yeah, great retort. Fantastic. I've rode on CC buses, I have friends who live in CC who have rode the buses. But hey, my opinion of the terrible bus service in CC is wrong (even thought opinions can't be wrong) because CC transit serves 7 million riders a year and has 1,700 bus stops oh and bike racks. Right.
You say this but have no reasoning behind it. Other than, "I rode on CC buses and I have friends that have rode on the buses". That's great. But what is bad about them? You fail to mention that. What is better about SA buses? I don't really care but since you brought it up...and you say that I post ridiculous statements. Are you kidding me with this stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post

I never once discounted anything meaningful that has happened in CC. But like I said before, that wasn't what caused me to respond. However, reality is, whether you like it or not, CC has had many great developments in the last 5 years but not that many, and your list of 10 just proves it.
Those were just the first 10 off the top of my head. I could have gone on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 10:39 PM
 
1,131 posts, read 1,549,143 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
Jack in the Box? Lines around the block? You mean kind of like what happened when they opened a Krispy Kreme in SA. Cars for miles for an entire month!
Dude, that happens[ed] at every Krispy Kreme that opened in every city at the time. KK was a big fad at the time. People would caravan from other cities and states in masses just to be at openings of all KK. They probably still do if KK is still opening new stores.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 10:44 PM
 
1,131 posts, read 1,549,143 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
You say this but have no reasoning behind it. Other than, "I rode on CC buses and I have friends that have rode on the buses". That's great. But what is bad about them? You fail to mention that. What is better about SA buses? I don't really care but since you brought it up...and you say that I post ridiculous statements. Are you kidding me with this stuff?
The bus system is terrible. Terrible stops many with non-existent handicapped access, terrible seating at stops, terrible routes (what my friends complain about). If CC RTA has done something about it, cool, I doubt it though.

Also, where did I praise and glorify the VIA bus system?

Quote:
Those were just the first 10 off the top of my head. I could have gone on.
Maybe you could come up with a better 10, one devoid of meaningless lists and proposed [unrealistic] projects.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,374 posts, read 2,788,703 times
Reputation: 1435
This has turned into a huge Flamefest. I now dub thee: Flamefest 2009!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 10:14 AM
 
245 posts, read 739,804 times
Reputation: 128
No joke. I wash my hands of it. We could argue forever, but what does that accomplish? Nothing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,374 posts, read 2,788,703 times
Reputation: 1435
This CC Forum should just make its own flaming thread and sticky it! Lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top