U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:52 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,829,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
Crime is horrible, schools in the metro area are so/so, pollution from refineries, the threat of a hurricane demolishing your home, and being in a HIDTA (high intensity drug trafficing area... I wouldn't raise a family in the CC proper area if you paid me, unless they could go t a private school.

Most families here can't make the decision to move because they either don't have the means or they are military.

Oh and lemonfresh lives in SA, and I AM moving out of here... To hopefully start a family somewhere a lot nicer
I AM raising a family here. My daughter's public school is rated "exemplary;" we've never been touched by crime and while being close to Mexico does mean that lots of drugs flow through here, but if you're law-abiding you never notice it. As far as being threatened by hurricanes, that's obviously true. But that's true of all coastal cities and certainly not just a CC thing.

I respect your right to your opinion. But you may have a bit of "the grass is always greener" going on if you think the next place you move to will be free of crime and pollution, you'll be immune from weather disasters and you'll be raising your children in a perfectly safe, healthy and nurturing environment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 02:22 PM

49 posts, read 139,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridalooking View Post
{Mod cut - Inapproproate}
You're trying too hard to talk yourself into liking Corpus. That's my opinion; you can take it or leave it. Corpus may be GREAT for you.
Ok, for some pesky little facts. Corpus equals the bay. The island equals the Gulf of Mexico. The Atlantic Ocean this isn't. The Atlantic runs into the Indian Ocean and the Indian Ocean we aren't either.
Mapquest you might want to look around because you've missed a lot. It could be beneficial to you. It has great maps of cities and yes; you can also use it for driving directions. If you go to mapquest.com and click on "Maps" and type in Corpus Christi under the city and Tx under the state you'll get this which can help you a lot when in town. Map of Corpus Christi, TX by MapQuest
Key word in all this is OCEAN. You said CC wasnt on or near an OCEAN??? It is part of the Atlantic ocean, just with a different name. Salt water is salt water. Salt water (except for maybe in Salt Lake City) generally indicates the sea or OCEAN. Case in point, I want to live in CC for its beaches and proximity to the OCEAN. And I dont have to talk myself into liking CC the RESIDENTS of CC and the surrounding areas have already convinced me Id like it. I dont HAVE to move to Texas, I have the means and funds to move just about anywhere Id like to Im choosing Texas, possibly. Usually when someone CHOOSES something they have no need to CONVINCE themselves they like it.AGAIN Im not interested in the argumentative portion of these threads Im ONLY interested in garnering info, both negative and positive (but respectful either way) regarding a place I may move to. If you are just bored or feel the need to pick arguments please be so kind as to leave me out of the drama. Thank you

Old 09-15-2009, 05:20 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,810,681 times
Misswendys well put especially if schools aren't crucial . Which Beaches do you think you'll like? Port Aransas seems to be the longest and has the sculpture fest and lots of people. The ones in Corpus proper are not as clean, but they are easy to get to- just drive on Ocean Drive and park. Rockport has a long shallow portion and was rated by the EPA as the cleanest of the 61 beaches in Texas, but is not as good for people watching. Rockport has more men than women and just doesn't attract enough party people.

I've had fun at all of them. My best experience was with my little girl at Rockport where a big fish came up and let us pet him for a few minutes before leaving. We love animals and that was really special. Seeing the sand sculptures at Port Aransas was also nice

Old 09-15-2009, 05:59 PM

Im not sure which beach i will like the most, but Im more into untouched areas where you can actually find seashells and sea life. I'm not big into crowds or people watching. My children, mom and myself vacationed on the Oregon Coast this summer and I LOVED it, its what convinced me I want to move somwhere where I and my children can visit the Ocean whenever we want. Texas's proximity to vacation spots like areas in Mexico and stuff like that isn't too shabby either we can get a boat and sail off for a weekend somewhere warm and tropical, NIIIICE! My daughters and I will have a great time exploring the different beaches and finding our favorite one, Im sure.

Regarding schools, yes they are important but not THE MOST important thing. As long as my children get a quality education I'm happy. If I'm not mistaken, all schools must meet certain requirements to remain in business. So long as my kids aren't attacked, shot at or in danger when at school, I'm happy. Now if there are gang wars and drug pushers out front of a school that is cause for concern. Otherwise Im sure my kids will get the education they need to pave the way to college

Old 09-15-2009, 07:33 PM

Umm Corpus schools are not all that safe-there really is a difference. Maybe living on the island might be nice- there have to be deserted parts of beach. Rockport is also good but its 24 min from my house to downtown CC. guess some of it depends on your job.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 PM

If the CC schools are really bad then Ill just find one that isnt too bad or look into home schooling. Are CC schools like schools in places like New York where they have metal detectors and security patrols? And if I cant find a school thats safe in CC Im fine with driving out of the area to a better school if necessary.

Ive heard that the schools in some of the surrounding areas are good, so maybe we will live on the outskirts of CC, well still have easy access to beaches and such for day trips and have safe schools.

Where I live at now my daughter rides her bike to school every day and doesn't even need a bike chain to keep her bike from being stolen. Can others on here give me a lowdown on exactly what is wrong with the schools in CC? A few have said they are bad but have not gone into detail about what exactly classifies cc schools that way. Lack of good teachers, Lack of quality education, Class Size, Crime?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:54 AM

Flour Bluff is really Corpus and those schools are nice- why do you actually want to live IN corpus rather than the surrounding areas? Flour Bluff is near beaches too.

The school violence isn't horrible but CC does have gangs and the atmosphere isn't the best for education. I don't know about metal detectors but I did read once about the high pregnancy rate among CC area high schools. You do want be a grandmother some day right ? lol why wait!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:06 AM

163 posts, read 638,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Flour Bluff is really Corpus and those schools are nice- why do you actually want to live IN corpus rather than the surrounding areas? Flour Bluff is near beaches too.

The school violence isn't horrible but CC does have gangs and the atmosphere isn't the best for education. I don't know about metal detectors but I did read once about the high pregnancy rate among CC area high schools. You do want be a grandmother some day right ? lol why wait!
I was trying to find information on this to post yesterday -- Nueces County maintained the highest teen pregnancy rate in the NATION for years, as I'm sure a majority of the posters who live here are aware. Not good news for a smaller population such as ourselves. Mississippi has the lead this year.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:06 AM

136 posts, read 309,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
But you may have a bit of "the grass is always greener" going on if you think the next place you move to will be free of crime and pollution, you'll be immune from weather disasters and you'll be raising your children in a perfectly safe, healthy and nurturing environment.
It won't be totally free of those things but I can guarantee that it will be a WHOLE LOT better. And honestly, Corpus acts like it's a bad thing to think about things getting better than they are. Is there really a problem with having a "grass is greener mentality"? Is there something the matter with wanting "greener grass", especially when it's all dry and brown around here? Corpus seems to reach a point where it has a few exciting things to sustain itself until people grow tired ot it, only then does it try and add something new. Why not constant and sweeping change, that's in touch with the rest of society? If the city needs proof, again, just look at the graduates from A&M and how quickly they turn tail on this place and run. There are droves of talent right under this place's nose and they won't lift a finger to attract it or keep it here and instead only work to appease small minded people that are content with low wage service jobs and or refinery jobs, not to people with real careers.

---missWendys---
On the issue of education, I do believe Corpus possesses a very good university, of which I'm a product. For such a small school that hasn't been in existence (as an accredited 4-yr institution) for very long, they are on the path to great things.

I think you would be well served to establish yourself in a smaller community outside of Corpus. The surrounding communities offer a very desirable living experience, I think. Check them out. I'm a commuter as well. I live in Portland and commute to Corpus only to work and shop/eat, but that's it. I found life here to be a lot more tolerable after I moved out. If you absolutely must, I'd do that.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post

I don't exactly have to live in CC, surrounding areas are fine. I just want to love within a 30 min (at most) drive to beaches and the Ocean. I don't know much about the outlying areas around Corpus Christi but would love to learn more.

The high teen pregnancy rate is a bit scary, but I feel that if you raise your daughters right and teach them to love and respect themselves they are less likely to make mistakes like getting pregnant as a teen.

Also, I feel that if you get your children involved in activities and sports that they love, they will also be less likely to get into trouble at school. My daughter loves ballet and is eager to start gymnastics here shortly. My 4 year old wants to get involved in dancing to so hopefully those things, coupled with how Im raising my daughters will empower them to make positive decisions regarding drugs, alcohol. and intimacy.

Plus Im not shy in discussing things like intimacy and birth control with them as they grow old enough to understand it. My motto is "knowledge is power" the more the kids know about things the easier it is for them to make good decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi