U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2009, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Somewhere between Corpus and Austin, TX
136 posts, read 309,911 times
Reputation: 60

Advertisements

I've lived here for 5 years now. Originally from Austin. Came here to go to school and thinking Corpus had a LOT to offer. I was initially very excited and highly anticipatory. The following is my debriefing...


Corpus is a very one sided place. If you are a young professional, forget about it. There is really nothing there for you. Salaries are low and there is really not much opportunity that you have in a more mature place. A&M-CC produces SO MANY great graduates every semester, and it's no big surprise that Corpus does absolutely nothing to innovate and attract those grads. There is only just about enough here to appease the two major demographics:

1) Lower wage earning and blue collar/military types
and
2) Old fogies that enjoy their small town parades and severly outdated traditions.

Either way, most the people have the simpleminded mantra of, "well I've got all I need... HEB, Church, and Whataburger..." Those that are used to a wider variety of choices and attractions are pretty much left hanging. Too many people intent on keeping it a small town just like it was 50 years ago. I can applaud wanting to keep a small town feel or keep some sort of identity, but letting a whole city remain completely stagnant for 30+ years is plain asinine. People can blame it on the council and politicians, but when it comes down to it, it's the town. Nobody but a select few actually want new things and new experiences... The rest are content with how things are and see no practical reason to change... Corpus is like a 18 year old still parading around in diapers.

That said... The surrounding towns are quite a treat. I've lived in Portland for the past 3 years and love it. It's a quiet small town and has everything you need to live day to day. The people are friendly and overall it was a great place to live. Rockport is also a pretty nice place as well. The few times I've been there I've caught myself saying, that living there wouldn't be as bad but it's so far away from the city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2009, 01:34 PM
 
Location: East Texas
506 posts, read 518,598 times
Reputation: 714
Unhappy Corpus Christi's WIND.

Better wear rocks in your pockets or have a crewcut to live in CC. I tried 15 pins in my hair and it STILL blew around. Never been to anyplace with higher winds that blow all day long.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 05:24 PM
 
245 posts, read 740,521 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
I've lived here for 5 years now. Originally from Austin. Came here to go to school and thinking Corpus had a LOT to offer. I was initially very excited and highly anticipatory. The following is my debriefing...


Corpus is a very one sided place. If you are a young professional, forget about it. There is really nothing there for you. Salaries are low and there is really not much opportunity that you have in a more mature place. A&M-CC produces SO MANY great graduates every semester, and it's no big surprise that Corpus does absolutely nothing to innovate and attract those grads. There is only just about enough here to appease the two major demographics:

1) Lower wage earning and blue collar/military types
and
2) Old fogies that enjoy their small town parades and severly outdated traditions.

Either way, most the people have the simpleminded mantra of, "well I've got all I need... HEB, Church, and Whataburger..." Those that are used to a wider variety of choices and attractions are pretty much left hanging. Too many people intent on keeping it a small town just like it was 50 years ago. I can applaud wanting to keep a small town feel or keep some sort of identity, but letting a whole city remain completely stagnant for 30+ years is plain asinine. People can blame it on the council and politicians, but when it comes down to it, it's the town. Nobody but a select few actually want new things and new experiences... The rest are content with how things are and see no practical reason to change... Corpus is like a 18 year old still parading around in diapers.

That said... The surrounding towns are quite a treat. I've lived in Portland for the past 3 years and love it. It's a quiet small town and has everything you need to live day to day. The people are friendly and overall it was a great place to live. Rockport is also a pretty nice place as well. The few times I've been there I've caught myself saying, that living there wouldn't be as bad but it's so far away from the city.
As a 26 year old with a good paying job that I enjoy, I'd have to disagree with you're entire statement. Corpus Christi has plenty of opportunities for young professionals. It's also a great place to move up quickly due to the lack of competition and the need for new ideas. The older generation is slowly leaving their high salaried jobs and that leaves only one group to fill them.

As far as attractions/entertainment, perhaps you weren't appreciating all that we have. There's plenty to do in CC for all ages. In fact, much more than most cities it's size. Any given day there is something going on that's either inexpensive or free. You obviously just weren't taking advantage of them or perhaps living under a rock. Granted there are some improvements that need to be made but no different than any other city. Not all cities can grow as fast as Austin, but then again, do they really want to? I'm all for growth, but strip mall after strip mall...and starbucks on every corner does not mean squat when you look at the overall picture of what makes a great place to live. It's a shame you didn't surround yourself with more positive people while you were here. Maybe you'll realize how great it is when you leave. Most people usually do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Calallen :)
163 posts, read 638,694 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
It's a shame you didn't surround yourself with more positive people while you were here. Maybe you'll realize how great it is when you leave. Most people usually do.
I have an understanding when it comes to Corpus (as well as any other city for that matter) that people will love it or hate it for their own reasons. What some find appealing, others won't, plain and simple, however, I'm going to have to disagree with the above. Just how do you know the OP did or didn't surround themselves with positive people? Personally, I am looking forward to the day we can get out of Corpus and who I associate with plays no role in my dislike for the city. I'm going to "leave behind" some great friends and will gladly come back for frequent visits, but I don't want to raise my family here. There's nothing wrong with that.

I'm also going to have to disagree with most people missing this place. I think that's really just a matter of opinion. I know plenty of people who don't.

As for the job opportunities, I think it really just matters on what your field is. With my hubby's occupation, we recently found out within the last several months that he can get paid on average 1/3-1/2 MORE in San Antonio, plus awesome benefits that aren't available at his current plant.

(Generally speaking here) All in all, I see people constantly getting butthurt on this forum because people express it isn't their cup of tea and the claws come out. Well, I HATE meatloaf, seafood and enchilada's (three things I refuse to eat and yes, I get asked what's wrong with me alllllllllll the time because of this, lol). You (again, general) can tell me how great it is, ask me if I've had it prepared this way or that way, etc. but it's not going to make me like it. Sometimes people just don't like something and shouldn't be made to feel inferior because of it. I lurk on the San Antonio forum, trying to gather info and daily there are people who toss in what they dislike about it -- and that's okay! I've seen people mention several things that they can't stand, meanwhile I'm sitting back thinking, "Oh, I'd LOVE that"! It happens. Different strokes for different folks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 06:56 PM
 
245 posts, read 740,521 times
Reputation: 128
CalallenMom,

I couldn't agree with you more. So why am I not entitled to my own opinion as well? People can hate CC all they want. I don't care because it won't change my view and the good life I enjoy here. But I can, however, try to dispell some of the wrong information like "there's no opportunity for young professionals" and "majority of citizens don't like change" that's doled out by someone who's lived in the city only a few years and who seems to be bitter about something. Why else would they feel a need to give one last "before I leave" speech.

There's opinion...and then there's misimformation. I'm just trying to make sure that people who are actually using this forum to educate themselvs on a new place or who are making real decisions based on what they read, get the whole story and not just a one-sided rant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 07:10 PM
 
82 posts, read 200,526 times
Reputation: 45
As someone who reads this forum often because of an impending move to CC area within the next five months, I fluxuate between feeling anticipatory about moving to a new city and looking forward to exploring what it has to offer, and fearful and wary because so many bash CC and say what a horrible place it is to live. As a new person who is coming into the area, it is hard to read so many negative comments about Corpus. I hope that when I find a place to live (we're thinking Bay area), I will also be able to hook up with people that feel good about bringing Corpus into the next phase, being a part of the solution instead of the problem. So I want to know... what are the three things you all like most about Corpus Christi?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 07:26 PM
 
245 posts, read 740,521 times
Reputation: 128
I hope you find those people when you move here. But if you're one of them, I can almost guarantee you will because those types tend to gravitate towards each other.

Three things I like about Corpus Christi:

1) Natural beauty (beaches, bayfront, downtown marina, great to be surrounded by water)
2) Great people (almost everyone is friendly and trying to better themselves, but not trying to be something they're not. Just real, genuine people)
3) It has pretty much all the amenities of a larger city without the hassle (arts, museums, culture, entertainment, shopping, dining, great public transportation, unique areas of town, etc.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Rockport Texas from El Paso
2,601 posts, read 7,810,681 times
Reputation: 1594
BB has it pretty well - at least for the positives. CC on the other hand has poor schools - low educational attainment and nasty refineries. People are friendly and its, along with Buffalo NY, one of the most drivable cities in the US.
I prefer Rockport- no pollution no gangs,better schools and because I live south - about 25 min to the courthouse.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,379 posts, read 2,798,454 times
Reputation: 1442
Calallen and Portland also have good school districts, academically and athletically. Flour Bluff as well. CCISD and West Oso are horrible though. Another great thing happening down town is the Brass Plan which was voted to renovate the area around the Memorial Coliseum with a movie theater, shops, a hotel, and apartments. There are also talks around the North Beach area about a group who wants to build 240 acres of land ,purchased from the Port Authority I believe, and turn it into a water park, a dinner cruise, boardwalks, hotels, and a wellness center.

Heres the Brass Plan on the Memorial Coliseum:
Council picks plan to return IceRays to coliseum » Corpus Christi Caller-Times

Here is the Port story:
http://www.caller.com/news/2009/sep/...se-water-park/

Finally, some progress is being made. Hopefully that movie theater being built downtown will be an IMAX!

By the way, too bad you didn't like it. It sucks to see you go. But I definitely don't blame you!

Last edited by gabetx; 09-10-2009 at 10:40 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2009, 05:44 AM
 
Location: Calallen :)
163 posts, read 638,694 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
CalallenMom,

I couldn't agree with you more. So why am I not entitled to my own opinion as well? People can hate CC all they want. I don't care because it won't change my view and the good life I enjoy here. But I can, however, try to dispell some of the wrong information like "there's no opportunity for young professionals" and "majority of citizens don't like change" that's doled out by someone who's lived in the city only a few years and who seems to be bitter about something. Why else would they feel a need to give one last "before I leave" speech.

There's opinion...and then there's misimformation. I'm just trying to make sure that people who are actually using this forum to educate themselvs on a new place or who are making real decisions based on what they read, get the whole story and not just a one-sided rant.
Of course you're entitled to your own opinion and I hope I didn't insinuate that in my post whatsoever.

I think these strong opinions on both sides boil down to what you're comparing CC to. Do *I* think it has a lot of opportunities for young professionals? In general, not really, but "a lot" is a loose term. When compared to cities such as SA and Austin (which a lot of people tend to do it seems), there's no comparison, but if coming from a smaller or equally sized town then maybe. A lot also depends on what field you're looking into. A lot of men at one time or another seem to end up at the refineries (not necessarily looking for a career, but as work).

There are always one sided rants on this board and I guess what it boils down to is people feel passionately about what they feel. Something I've learned from this forum is "one man's junk is another man's treasure" -- I usually sit back while people praise/trash CC because it seems like a repetitive arguement, although without it I guess this board would be dead.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:23 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top