U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:51 AM

49 posts, read 139,513 times

Advertisements

[quote=bb54321;10758614]
"The city has pretty vocal environmental group of citizens, that may seem like a road block to progress for some but you got to love them because the are passionate about this city and its natural beauty. That's part of what makes CC such a great place, it's citizens are very passionate...much like New Yorkers in a sense."

Actually this, and the proposed recycling initiative are HUGE pluses in my opinion regarding a move to Corpus Christi. I am VERY environmentally conscious and get a thrill whenever I see natural beauty being well tended to. I'm also very big on recycling and preserving the environment. The more I hear about CC the more it sounds like the place for me (wow a poet and didn't know it, LOL)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 01:09 AM

Default Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by produrre View Post
I, for one, certainly appreciate this thread. I'm moving to CC in January and have been terribly reluctant because of all the negative about the city. We are moving because of a job opportunity that we just can't pass up, and yet, I've been a bit depressed in reading about how bad the city is and am wondering what we are getting ourselves into. I'm looking forward to exploring the city more. We will be coming for the weekend in October to look at neighborhood areas and are thinking about the Bay Area. I enjoyed the "vibe" I felt there when we visited last month.

Sounds like fun, visiting CC next month. Maybe you can let me know what you think when you get back. A possible newbie to the CC areas opinion might be nice being as Ill be in the same boat next August, if I decide to move to the CC area. Enjoy your trip!

Old 09-15-2009, 02:24 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,551,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missWendyS View Post
Actually this, and the proposed recycling initiative are HUGE pluses in my opinion regarding a move to Corpus Christi. I am VERY environmentally conscious and get a thrill whenever I see natural beauty being well tended to. I'm also very big on recycling and preserving the environment. The more I hear about CC the more it sounds like the place for me (wow a poet and didn't know it, LOL)
Since you're asking about both CC and SA for your potential relocation;

SA has the biggest recycling plant in all of Texas.
Greenstar Opens San Antonio Recycling Facility

SA is "the first U.S. city to harvest methane gas from human waste on a commercial scale and turn it into clean-burning fuel."
Investing in Waste to Energy

San Antonio is a leader is going green.
Build San Antonio Green

Old 09-15-2009, 07:44 AM

163 posts, read 638,694 times
I've been sitting here for a bit trying to think of a good reply for this thread, but it's difficult when things that may appeal to you don't to me -- if that makes any sense? I feel pretty indifferent about this city, but I have made it known that the one thing I will truly miss when we eventually (hopefully) relocate to SA is the Calallen school district. I can name a lot more things that I dislike than like and because of that, I know this city isn't for us (the husband and I were born and raised here). I will say that I disagree with some things that have been posted, but my intent is not to turn this into a debate -- either way, I definitely recommend that you come on down, explore the area, neighborhoods, etc. and see if this place is right for you and your family

Old 09-15-2009, 07:52 AM

17,031 posts, read 28,011,820 times
I would agree that it may be worth coming down for a week to get an initial feel of Corpus or SA to see for yourself. They are only a couple hours apart.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:15 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,758,006 times
Here's a map website that I've found helpful & easy to use. Provides the quantitative data (the numbers) for schools as opposed to the vague rating terms of exemplary etc. Just click on CC or SA.

Texas School Performance Maps . Unfortunately it hasn't loaded 08's numbers in though.

Once you identify schools & neighborhoods, you can go to great schools.net to get other info such as demographics, parents comments etc.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:36 PM

One thing that has been mentioned a few times is that there are a lot of drugs in the area because of Mexico, how does this effect things in the area? Do drug dealers troll the schools, are there drug wars etc.... So far thats the only thing I have heard about CC that gives me a pause, its kinda scary. Sure we have drugs in Washington but people not involved in that whole lifestyle are usually not affected by it we just stay out of the areas known for drugs. Meth is a big issue up here but again those not involved in that lifestyle aren't usually affected by it. Also, Id like to take some time to come up and explore, but being as the move is a year away I don't know if I will have the time. I have work, school, kids etc.. and its hard trying to schedule a trip anytime before Summer vacay. I will see what I can do though

Old 09-15-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalallenMom View Post
I've been sitting here for a bit trying to think of a good reply for this thread, but it's difficult when things that may appeal to you don't to me -- if that makes any sense? I feel pretty indifferent about this city, but I have made it known that the one thing I will truly miss when we eventually (hopefully) relocate to SA is the Calallen school district. I can name a lot more things that I dislike than like and because of that, I know this city isn't for us (the husband and I were born and raised here). I will say that I disagree with some things that have been posted, but my intent is not to turn this into a debate -- either way, I definitely recommend that you come on down, explore the area, neighborhoods, etc. and see if this place is right for you and your family
I don't mind if people post what they think about the area on a personal
level, what bugs me is when people turn what I had hoped would be friendly conversation into personal attacks and insults. I welcom both positive and negative info on the city as long as it stays friendly. Without all the info, both positive and negative, I cant really make an educated decision about our move. If you have negative info about the area feel free to share it and thank you.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:08 PM

1,379 posts, read 2,798,454 times
Quote:
One thing that has been mentioned a few times is that there are a lot of drugs in the area because of Mexico, how does this effect things in the area? Do drug dealers troll the schools, are there drug wars etc.... So far thats the only thing I have heard about CC that gives me a pause, its kinda scary. Sure we have drugs in Washington but people not involved in that whole lifestyle are usually not affected by it we just stay out of the areas known for drugs. Meth is a big issue up here but again those not involved in that lifestyle aren't usually affected by it. Also, Id like to take some time to come up and explore, but being as the move is a year away I don't know if I will have the time. I have work, school, kids etc.. and its hard trying to schedule a trip anytime before Summer vacay. I will see what I can do though
Drugs are only an issue in ghetto neighborhoods. You won't find drug dealers on ever corner of the street or patrolling school areas. There is a Marijuana problem, but other than that there aren't really any problems with drugs. There are no drug wars like in Mexico. The only way you will find yourself the victim of a crime is if you are associated with it or live on the same block as it. Other than that, you don't have to worry about getting murdered, raped, or robbed. You can tell which people are good and which are bad. Stay away from those with baggy clothes and tattoos covering their bodies from head to toe. Other than that, you have nothing to worry about. The only bad areas of the city are the West Side, mainly north of S.P.I.D and west of Crosstown on over to 44, and the North Side in the cut by the refineries, right before Whataburger Field and the port.

The statistics about the crime rate in CC are very misleading. A lot of "rapes" are really just a 19 year old boyfriend sleeping with his 16 year old girlfriend, then the parents of the girl get mad and try getting a law suite out of it. Murders are ALWAYS between gang members or thugs. Robberies usually occur in the ghetto areas of the city. There really isn't anything to worry about.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:23 PM

163 posts, read 638,694 times
Quote:
I don't mind if people post what they think about the area on a personal
level, what bugs me is when people turn what I had hoped would be friendly conversation into personal attacks and insults. I welcom both positive and negative info on the city as long as it stays friendly. Without all the info, both positive and negative, I cant really make an educated decision about our move. If you have negative info about the area feel free to share it and thank you.
Thanks for the clarification.

I don't find the city as family oriented as it could be -- for that reason, I find it pretty dull. One step they are doing to clean up this town is by re-doing the mall -- if they can start keeping the gangbangers out, it'd be more appealing to my family, I think. What I would LOVE to see are more indoor small attractions dedicated to families. San Antonio has the wax muesem, Ripley's Believe it or Not, children's muesem, etc. which I, personally like. Not saying Corpus needs to duplicate those attractions, but it'd be nice to have some things similar. Quite frankly, the heat is taking a toll on us and outdoor activities aren't all that comfortable -- I can't count how many times we've had to leave festivals and such because my boys would get heat sick easily and sometimes vomit, although I'd also would like to see an amusement park of some sort. That'd be worth suffering for.

As for crime, better to let you check out the statistics for yourself so you can make the assesment Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed For a city this size, it's a bit high in some aspects, esp. for rape.

There are some great outskirts in Corpus Christi, Calallen being one of them. Others will vouche for Gregory Portland as well. What I like about this area are the schools and how I pretty much have everything I need out here (grocery store, shopping, doctor, car dealerships, etc) and just a 15 minute drive to the water. Also, I like not being close to the coast since hurricanes do threaten our area.

That's all I could think of off the top of my head for now, but if you have any questions or need elaboration feel free to ask away!

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 07:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or