Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 03:56 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,070 times

Advertisements

I forgot to add:

Solar San Antonio - Bring Solar Home!

Also, "One of the world’s largest grassroots solar events will host a tour of 10 local working solar projects in October."

Grassroots tour highlights solar at work in San Antonio - San Antonio Business Journal:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 06:09 PM

49 posts, read 153,205 times
With all the mixed messages Im hearing about the CC area maybe Ill stop through when I move and stay or camp for a week or two to see if we will like it. If not we can keep on truckin up to SA. I do know, however, that I likely will not get the chance to visit the CC area before we pack up and move my schedule just wont permit it. I just know that as soon as i get my BA in summer were headed out of Washington and into the great unknown. Fun

Old 09-15-2009, 11:20 PM

82 posts, read 221,848 times
My in-laws live on the north side of San Antonio, in an affluent area, and they absolutely love that city. They relocated there from the lakefront of New Orleans after Katrina. They are very involved in the theater, the symphony and the opera... so culture is important to them (fine restaurants, etc). They are hispanic and have found a wonderful Puerto Rican group that they socialize with. We are looking forward to being 2 hours away from SA and visiting with them more often. For us, I will let you know how our weekend in CC turns out in October. When I was there last month we toured the south part of CC neighborhoods (Kings Crossing & surrounding area). While there were beautiful, newer homes, there were dozens and dozens up for sale. I hear it is because the military cycles in and out of those neighborhoods a lot. The Bay area was older, but had an interesting vibe. I liked that it was not "cookie cutter" homes.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:08 PM

244 posts, read 804,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by produrre View Post
My in-laws live on the north side of San Antonio, in an affluent area, and they absolutely love that city. They relocated there from the lakefront of New Orleans after Katrina. They are very involved in the theater, the symphony and the opera... so culture is important to them (fine restaurants, etc). They are hispanic and have found a wonderful Puerto Rican group that they socialize with. We are looking forward to being 2 hours away from SA and visiting with them more often. For us, I will let you know how our weekend in CC turns out in October. When I was there last month we toured the south part of CC neighborhoods (Kings Crossing & surrounding area). While there were beautiful, newer homes, there were dozens and dozens up for sale. I hear it is because the military cycles in and out of those neighborhoods a lot. The Bay area was older, but had an interesting vibe. I liked that it was not "cookie cutter" homes.
Tons of unique neighborhoods in Corpus Christi. Southside is nice but lacks character. Looks like every other city in the US.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:32 PM

85 posts, read 233,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
Tons of unique neighborhoods in Corpus Christi. Southside is nice but lacks character. Looks like every other city in the US.
On the Southside we don't have junked cars in our yards, don't have trash laying around, have gated areas, have subdivisions with 24 hour security, have beautiful landscaping, have 5 million dollar homes a mile from a 170,000 house, have daycare with cameras in them that you can watch from work, don't have gangs. Yup, I'd stay away from the Southside

Old 09-17-2009, 06:54 AM

162 posts, read 705,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridalooking View Post
On the Southside we don't have junked cars in our yards, don't have trash laying around, have gated areas, have subdivisions with 24 hour security, have beautiful landscaping, have 5 million dollar homes a mile from a 170,000 house, have daycare with cameras in them that you can watch from work, don't have gangs. Yup, I'd stay away from the Southside
This made me laugh.

If I didn't live out here in Calallen, I'd live on the Southside in a heartbeat. I grew up on that side of town near Everheart and Cedar Pass and it was nice.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:31 AM

244 posts, read 804,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridalooking View Post
I never said to avoid the south side. I grew up on that side of town it's very nice. Vibrant and well-kept. I was just pointing out the other parts of town have more character which might be appealing to certain people. I live in the Santa Fe area and we don't have junked cars in front yards either. All the lawns are manicured and it's extremely safe. Trees are mature and there's lots of local business, shops and eateries. Every area has it's good points. Don't be so negative.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:39 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 481,102 times
I don't think CC is a "love it or hate it" type of place....it's easy to do both at the same time!

Things I like:

- The beaches (not world-class tropical caliber, but still wonderful)
- *Driving* on the beaches - Nothing like driving up to your "spot"
- The bayfront (can you tell I like water?)
- The cultural events we do have (occasional concert worth going to, jazz festival, Harbor Playhouse, Seven Day Film Festival, etc.)
- Diversity - I really like the Hispanic influence
- Restaurants - I lived in Minneapolis/St. Paul for 2.5 years and did not find as many good *cheap* restaurants as we have here
- Laid-back lifestyle, ease of day-to-day living
- The weather - winters are great, and who cares how hot it is when you're on the beach?
- Shopping - pretty much everything you need....hell, we even have a decent record store (as in "record"....vinyl!)
- Friendliness of the people - seems like people are *always* holding doors for others at convenience stores and stuff, and when I hold a door, the most dangerous looking tattooed thugster will say "thank you sir"
- Strong Catholic diocese (if that's you cup of tea)....the Cathedral is gorgeous, with a truly world-class choir
- Not exactly a "college town", but we do have A&M and Del Mar (highly rated jr. college)
- Funkiness - CC (and South Texas) is in some ways a little like the deep south, with an air of quirkiness or something....and not at ALL like the "weirdness" that Austin is trying to preserve! Something a little more, I don't know, qrotesque / Southern-gothic. Or maybe I'm just smoking' crack.
- Day trips - lots of good places to visit....Rockport, San Antonio, Houston, Aransas Wildlife Refuge, Kingsville, etc. Make it a weekend, and there's a lot more...

Things I DON'T like:

- The weather....unfortunately, you can't be on the beach every moment during the summer, and it DOES get hot & humid! And it really gets old when it drags on through September and into October.
- The rundown feeling of it - Maybe this is the downside of "funkiness"...there are some pretty crappy neighborhood...some? A lot! And as others have mentioned, have good suspension on your car!
- The school system is not very good. There are alternatives, and good schools in surrounding areas, but it is a weakness.
- Lack of cultural events....it's not a wasteland, but (being a music nut) I would love to see more good concerts here.
- Trash, graffitti, and more trash, and more graffitti....sometimes you just wonder what the hell is wrong with these people.
- Lack of a wide variety of ethnic food.....not a single Indian restaurant!
- Lack of woods or mountains or any geographical distinction other than the water

All in all, in my love-hate relationship, the hate has won a few times and I've moved away, but I keep coming back, and I'm here now. And I have lots of "God, I love it here, I can spend the rest of my life here" moments.

As far as neighborhoods go, I prefer the "gaza strip" (as a realtor once called it)....the area between Ocean Drive and Alameda. Older neighborhoods, some nice architecture, trees, close to downtown, close to the bay, no traffic.

As far as crime goes, yeah there is a gang element here, but I feel as safe here is I do anywhere else where I mind my own business, don't go to the wrong places, and don't do anything stupid.

As far as employment goes, I left after college because I could not find a job. I feel fortunate to work where I do, but have thought that if I lost my job, I would *probably* have to move. So, not a big job market....but people do work (uhh, was that a candidate for "most obvious statement"?)

Enough from me....good luck with your decision!

Old 09-17-2009, 07:54 PM

306 posts, read 416,387 times
Thankyou, That's the kind of info I am looking for as I plan my move there.

Every city has good and bad. I have been keeping up on news at caller.com and many of the same items making news there are news here - bicycylist killed by hit and run, marijuana growing plots allover, graffitti, corrupt politicians, new police chief (in our case a new sheriff cause the old one was caught in a parked car in a cemetary with his girlfriend while his wife was at work). I really enjoy reading here about the things to do, where to live school districts not so much not a issue for me, but still important info. I also like to see what you don't like as that's also important when making a decision as important as a move half way across country! the heat/humidity is a bit bothersome to think about but I have to say the idea of an hour more light in the winter almost erases the fear of living with that! Do you have many days above 100 degrees?

Old 09-17-2009, 09:30 PM

82 posts, read 221,848 times
Yes, I'm really looking at the Bay area along Santa Fe, etc. because I like the variety of the homes there and the feel of the neighborhood. When we toured the area, I really liked the vibe I felt in that area and was told there were a lot of professors and instructors of the colleges that live in the area. I loved seeing people walking in the neighborhoods, liked the mature trees, liked being a few blocks within Ocean drive and nearer to the marina and downtown. I'd be one of those that would love living in a loft downtown (a real loft, not a overhauled apartment complex) and be a part of reviving downtown - if it weren't for the lack of grass and privacy. I need at least a little plot of land where I can have an herb garden and flower gardens. As an artist, I spend a lot of time painting nature and want to be surrounded by at least a little patch of it. I'm not thrilled with the high, humid temps, but I grew up in south Louisiana, so I'm at least familiar with it. We will be relocating there because of a job opportunity and a huge raise, and we have no young children, so we don't have to worry about the job market or school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi