Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:34 PM

49 posts, read 153,175 times

Advertisements

I am looking for the lowdown on the negative as well as positive things I have read so far about the CC and/or surrounding areas. Im considering CC or SA for my move but am leaning more towards the CC and surrounding areas because the warm temps and proximity to the lovely ocean and beaches are some of the main things drawing me to the Texas area.I originally considered Houston for my move but am rethinking that after visiting some forums on Houston. I am a college graduate, Real Estate Agent and Home Stager, and interested in finding out what the job market looks like in the CC area. I have 2 daughters 4 and 9 and will likely be renting at first until I get established in the area. Our family will be diverse being as not only do I have children of my own, but Im also a foster parent and open my home to foster children when needed. Also, info from other CC/Surrounding area residents would be greatly appreciated regarding life in the CC/surrounding area. Thanks

Stats vId like to know more about: COL, Activities (family), expenses, schools, employment market, crime, pollution, status of beaches (cleanliness,crowd etc...) Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 03:37 PM

49 posts, read 153,175 times
Default No trolls zone

I am only looking for honest and respectful advice and info regarding CC. If your intent is to spread negativity and participate in mud slinging, please bypass my thread, I will report those who insist on turning this thread into an insult train. But those with honest and respectful (of myself and other posters) comments I would greatly appreciate your input and advice. Thanks

Old 09-14-2009, 07:22 PM

244 posts, read 803,764 times
Hi missWendy,

I hope you didn't get the wrong impression of me. I try to avoid the mudslinging matches but I have a hard time restraining myself sometimes when people get on here and just post flat out lies or uncredible information. I don't get what people get out of spreading lies.

Now, I'll be the first one to admit that CC has its faults. But it's attributes far outway any downfalls. Crime is bad but not out of hand. We just need to increase the number of police on staff for one. A study showed that our police force was understaffed by 150 officers. Our money should go towards this first and foremost...always. It's a no-brainer. However, we are currently about to get a new police chief and I'm hoping it's the former Dallas PD Chief who has tons of experience and who I feel can get this PD up to par with the needs of the city. But, let me tell you, crime here is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. But we do need to nip it in the bud before it becomes a major issue.

Corpus Christi is a much more progressive city than a lot of people give it credit for. It was the first city in America to have a city-wide wi-fi network. Free public wi-fi is located through town. It's quickly becoming a leader in alternative energy (a lot of which has to do with the efforts of the Port of CC) with one of two wind energy research facitlities in the US to be stationed here as well as a solar chip manufacturer and most recently the Texas A&M system's aggreement to develop NAS Ingleside when it closes in 2010. They plan on making it an alternative energy research campus and incubator. City council even just passed a ordinance allowing personal windmills at residences as long as they meet style and size requirements. This allows citizens to power their entire house on wind energy if they invest in their own infrastructure. The city is also about to launch a recycling initiative where garbage is only picked up once a week in order to encourage recycling. Also in an effort to encourage this is a program that will distribute new high capacity recycling bins that have bar codes on them. The trucks will weigh the amount each house recycles and in turn give that household credit (or points) that can be redeemed for gas and/or grocery gift cards.

I do agree we've missed some growth and development opportunities, but there have been a lot of developers that were also all talk and no substance. CC is a city that won't just sell it's sole to the devil simply in the hopes of getting a new Starbucks on the corner (which I like) but there needs to be a happy medium. Most people here are interested in smart growth and not encouraging urban sprawl anymore. New infill developments are happening all over the city, which should encourage more down the road. Interest from outsiders has just recently become more common, with developers investing billions on everything from condo and retail centers to manufacturing plants and energy centers. So even if you move here and don't like it, it's a good place to have real estate or property. And it's a good time to buy because it's still relatively affordable...although the island skyrocketed a few years back, but it's probably evened out by now.

The city has pretty vocal environmental group of citizens, that may seem like a road block to progress for some but you got to love them because the are passionate about this city and its natural beauty. That's part of what makes CC such a great place, it's citizens are very passionate...much like New Yorkers in a sense.

The overall vibe of the city is incredible. It's the most laid back, cool place that you won't find anywhere else in Texas. It has the charm of a smaller resort town, but still has the amenities and cosmopolitian feel of a larger city...only without all the hassle. The people are friendly and down to earth. No one is trying to be something they're not. They're just straight-forward genuine people that tell it like it is. There are several cliques and groups around town but they all just migrate to each other because of common interests, but they will invite you into their circle in a heartbeat.

Family activities: Hooks Baseball, IceRays Hockey, youth hockey leagues, arena football, great community theater, museums, aquarium, lexington, BEACHES (the cheapest family activity ever), tons of parks, dozens of festival throughout the year (city and surrounding areas).

Another great thing about CC are all the neigboring coastal cities. Portland, Port A, Rockport, Ingleside, Aransas Pass. You can go to Port A for the day (just 20-30 mins. away) and feel like you went on an extended vacation. Only cheaper and you're still close to home. Each city has a totally unique feel. Rockport is artsy, Port A is eclectic and beachy, Portland is the quiet, family oriented town that's got the conveniences of CC close by.

This is a great place for a real estate agent/home stager. It was recently listed as the #5 place in the US for real estate.

Sorry, I know I rambled on and may not have answered your questions, but I'd be more than happy to provide anything you might still need to know.

Last edited by bb54321; 09-14-2009 at 08:23 PM..

Old 09-14-2009, 09:25 PM

82 posts, read 221,764 times
I, for one, certainly appreciate this thread. I'm moving to CC in January and have been terribly reluctant because of all the negative about the city. We are moving because of a job opportunity that we just can't pass up, and yet, I've been a bit depressed in reading about how bad the city is and am wondering what we are getting ourselves into. I'm looking forward to exploring the city more. We will be coming for the weekend in October to look at neighborhood areas and are thinking about the Bay Area. I enjoyed the "vibe" I felt there when we visited last month.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:34 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
In all honesty, CC is a very polarizing place. As a visitor or tourist, I like it. Is it the best coast city I've been to, no, not by a mile, but for something that's a 2 hour drive, I enjoy my time there. However, I've never lived there so I couldn't tell you how that is but if I did I'd probably not like it much and do have a couple of friends who live there and more friends who attended college there. The ones who attended CC-A&M returned to SA and the ones who live there are always telling me they wish they could move.

I think CC does have a lot of potential and could have been something more had they set into motion a different path 50 years ago but CC is what it is and again, you'll either love it or hate it.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:37 PM

October is one of the best months here. While I enjoy the summer months and the heat, October is usually perfect weather. You should plan to come down here the weekend of the Texas Jazz Festival (Oct. 16, 17 & 18). It's the longest running free jazz festival in the country. Awesome stuff in a perfect setting at Heritage Park downtown. Heritage Park is a collection of the oldest home in the city that have been moved together to form a neighborhood that houses offices, art classes, CC Ballet practace studios, etc.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
In all honesty, CC is a very polarizing place. As a visitor or tourist, I like it. Is it the best coast city I've been to, no, not by a mile, but for something that's a 2 hour drive, I enjoy my time there. However, I've never lived there so I couldn't tell you how that is but if I did I'd probably not like it much and do have a couple of friends who live there and more friends who attended college there. The ones who attended CC-A&M returned to SA and the ones who live there are always telling me they wish they could move.

I think CC does have a lot of potential and could have been something more had they set into motion a different path 50 years ago but CC is what it is and again, you'll either love it or hate it.

I've come to realize that most of the people that don't like living in CC have one major complaint. "There's nothing to do here" or "It's boring". I've also come to realize these same people don't get involved in anything and just don't seem to look hard enough for entertainment. It's somehow supposed to fall in their laps.

There's always plenty to do in CC for every age. I went to college for 5 years here and never had a dull moment. But you're right. You either love it or hate it. I just feel like those that hate it tend to value all the wrong things when it comes to defining what a great city is.

I can understand a complaint that there are higher paying jobs in larger cities, or more job opportunities. I'm not denying that (Although CC is much more affordable than most larger cities and you don't have to drive 1.5 hours in traffic to work each way), so it pretty much evens out. But the "Corpus is boring" complaint is just crazy coming from anyone ages 5-70. If you can physically leave your house, you can always find something to do here.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:53 PM

By the way, that last comment was not intended to start an argument or be negative by any means.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:41 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb54321 View Post
I've come to realize that most of the people that don't like living in CC have one major complaint. "There's nothing to do here" or "It's boring". I've also come to realize these same people don't get involved in anything and just don't seem to look hard enough for entertainment. It's somehow supposed to fall in their laps.

There's always plenty to do in CC for every age. I went to college for 5 years here and never had a dull moment. But you're right. You either love it or hate it. I just feel like those that hate it tend to value all the wrong things when it comes to defining what a great city is.

I can understand a complaint that there are higher paying jobs in larger cities, or more job opportunities. I'm not denying that (Although CC is much more affordable than most larger cities and you don't have to drive 1.5 hours in traffic to work each way), so it pretty much evens out. But the "Corpus is boring" complaint is just crazy coming from anyone ages 5-70. If you can physically leave your house, you can always find something to do here.
I agree, but at the same time the complaints I hear aren't solely about CC being boring, it's a variety of reasons, some more so than others. A great part of it too is what you said in the beginning of your third paragraph.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:47 AM

85 posts, read 233,704 times
Positive: The beach and depending on the year it may or may not be safe to swim in.
If you like sports, Corpus has that. Cole park and concerts.
If you're into 'hippie' things, there are cute shops downtown.
We just got a new police chief today and maybe he'll have some good ideas.
If you like to hunt you can drive a half hour out of town to do so.
If you like to fish there are many places to do that.
We have a circus once a year.
We have a dog show once a year.
The Harbor Playhouse (dress in light weight clothing but take a coat. Sometimes it's a good temp, other times you have to go outside to warm up and miss part of the show but you'll have plenty of people to visit with outside)

Negative: High electric bills most of the year. My last one was 650.00 but that's the highest I've ever had. You either have your heater or ac on all year round. On days that are mild the humidity is high so it's either heat or ac to cut it so you don't drip in sweat.
There is ONE grocery chain in town called HEB. There's a super Walmart but I'd go there only in the daylight and with someone.
The gangs are getting worse.
Graffiti is sprayed on fences and signs faster than they can paint it off. Many fences have been painted at least 5 times.
Property taxes are high here.
There aren't many streets that are lit.
Potholes galore
Your mailbox is down the street and you have a small slot that holds your mail. If the mailman is in a good mood, you get your mail. If not, you take your neighbors mail to them and hope they do you the same favor.

You'll either love or hate Corpus. As for being a realtor here, I went that route. You show houses in the summer that are 120 degrees inside in the summer if they're vacant and in the winter you'll show houses that are 40 degrees if vacant. Get in with a large company and fight for your customers, but better yet, stick to being a listing agent. If you sit back, you'll get walked on. We have a need for stagers here so that's a plus for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi