U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 02:46 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,551,419 times

Advertisements

Not trying to stir the pot, but Rockport has a population of near 10,000. Not 5,000.
Rate this post positively

Old 10-31-2009, 08:24 PM

82 posts, read 200,526 times
That's the first thing I said when I drove into CC for the first time a few months ago - "look how ugly the refineries are"... then I got into Corpus and have had the time to investigate it over a few weekends and there is so much more there than the refineries. We are looking forward to moving there at the end of this year.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:34 AM

1,379 posts, read 2,798,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Not trying to stir the pot, but Rockport has a population of near 10,000. Not 5,000.
I was taking a guess. I don't know Rockports population off of the top of my head. Nor do I care to. I was just trying to make a point.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:27 AM

374 posts, read 1,090,025 times
I wish somebody could tell me of a city of any size where from every direction it's scenic cause I've yet to visit. Lived in Honolulu for many years and if first impressions are the end all be all, it's sure not there - 7 miles through the warehouse area before you see anything of beauty. Currently live in the Houston area and I don't believe it's there either -refineries, clogged freeways, billboards, strip joints and fast food places every which way and that's just the way it is - doesn't make me dislike the city since my eyes are open to the great things it offers. Entrances to Dallas, SA are not too hot too trot either. Even Austin from 290 is nothing to brag on but it sure would show my closed-mindedness to base opinion of it from the road I took to get there. Just wondering who was there first, the neighborhoods or the refineries which I think date back to the 1930s - could be wrong. I recall seeing them only once when I lived there years ago...but oh how well I remember driving over the Harbor Bridge and down Ocean Drive after taking SH-35 from Houston.

I'm one who Really, Really appreciates Corpus for what it is, warts and all...not for what it's not.

Last edited by ohmanon; 11-01-2009 at 10:52 AM..

Old 11-01-2009, 10:13 AM

1,379 posts, read 2,798,454 times
Driving in to CC on 181 over the Harbor Bridge is really a nice entrance to the city I believe. You got the Lexington, American Bank Center, the beach, and the bay to the left. To the right you got the port, Whataburger field, and the refineries, and straight ahead you have downtown CC and you can see the city for miles beyond. Only eyesore straight ahead is the stupid MC.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:56 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,810,681 times
lemon - Gabe may have made his first honest post - he doesn't know so he made a guess. Unfortunately he doesn't usually admit that and he guesses all the time and presents them as facts. Hwy 181 is a nice way into town and it may be the 2nd most traveled way into Corpus- the bridge is pretty and the skyline against the water is also nice. North Beach has super potential its near everything - yet not crowded and pretty quiet. Unfortunately its I-37 and the refineries that impact Corpus the most. For me my first visits to CC were either by plane of up from the valley. I was surprised when in grad school in Huntsville people were calling Corpus ugly. In fact another student was a former CC Cop and he was saying the same thing. There are no two cities that are exactly alike or with the same population and of course location. CC and Rockport don' t have to be the same size to compare- one grows advertising itself as a natural paradise. Those who can travel and relocate because of birds, fish etc are usually of higher eduction and income than average and that supports better schools. Corpus has gone after dirty business refineries - las brisas and the result is higher crime ratios, worse schools and an lower educated populace. Big cities can learn from smaller ones.

ohman cities that are almost totally nice- scenic- Vancouver BC is pretty nice in all parts. Merida Venezuela and Boracay in the Philiippines. Bloomington Indiana (Indiana University) is also altogether nice. There are also nice mid-sized cities in Maine as well as the California Coast. Large cities (over 500k) will always have spots of poverty, however many are at least environmentally clean. Add to the above many towns in Colorado. Golden is pretty nice, as well as a bunch on the front range and in the mountains.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:58 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,663,418 times
I agree, and disagree with Ocean. Yes, coming into CC on I-37 and seeing the refineries isn't something most people care to see. However, most people visiting Corpus are here because they are going to the beaches, or the attractions in the N. Beach area, or Padre, etc. Once you get past the refineries and get onto 358, or over towards the Harbor Bridge, it becomes quite beautiful. Most people who don't know much about CC will quickly realize there is alot more to CC than just the refineries.

Yes, I moved to Portland, partially to get away from CC. However, this is more due to the fact that I just prefer a small town enviornment, compared to the large city enviornment of CC. To be honest, I have always liked CC (especially Flour Bluff). The refineries are something I have grown quite accustomed to, as I see them every time I go to and from work (I work in the Calallen area).

Although I haven't been here long (going on to 8 months, 2 weeks from now), I know that I will most likely be here the rest of my life, and am HAPPY, if not ECSTATIC about it! If someone who is seriously considering a move, and judges a pretty large city based off the initial appearance when coming on the main freeway, then they really don't need to be making a move to begin with. Other large cities, especially up in the northern states have always had the factories and industries on main shipping corridors and highways, yet people will always still move in and what not. Sure, there will be complaints here and there about the smells, skyline, chemicals, etc., but these people also know they need the jobs that these places provide.

So, whilst I agree with you, Ocean, I can definately see the other view points here as well. The main problems with CC's growth and progress certainly are not from the refineries... some of the earlier posts give insight to this. Anyhow, just my .02.

Ian

Last edited by txsizzler; 11-01-2009 at 09:17 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 10:48 PM

136 posts, read 309,911 times
I always found the view from the HB to be best at night when I wouldn't be able to see all the peeled paint and rust that gave me some inkling that "it just might come down this time..." every time I drove over it.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 AM

484 posts, read 1,455,431 times
I think the refineries and chemical plants are beautiful, so is the Port of Corpus Christi. These are the things which funnel huge amounts of money, (wages and revenue) into our city. Without them we would shrivel up and die. The City of Corpus Christi will never be a top rated tourist destination because of the very limited access by air travel. It's easier to fly from Chicago to Cancun, Mexico than it is to come to CC.

All y'all who pine for a tourist based economy best move to Florida, this is Texas,,, like it or not, we do oil and gas here.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:12 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,940,278 times
Well, the site of the refineries may not be what tourists are looking for, but I think many of us would be happy to look beyond that if CC was promoted as a tourist destination. It's not like tourists would park around the refineries and spend their time there. The beaches would be the main destination.

As for comparing CC with Fla.~the refineries would be a good thing. The reason that Fla. has stumbled so terribly is because the state's main industry is tourism. Naturally, it's one of the first things people cut back on during hard economic times.

But back on topic....

One of the first things that CC would need to do is be set up with airlines. Allegiant Air has specific destinations and there are many times that the rates are extremely cheap. There are times we could get down to Fla. for $39, plus taxes and fees, of course. Las Vegas is another city that has teamed up with them. I'm not specifically suggesting their airline, but setting up with one would be a huge step in tourism promotion. I have checked in the past and I believe it's at least $500 for a roundtrip airline ticket to CC from up here. Add in your motel and your car and you've got a pretty high amount BEFORE you even start your vacation.

Honestly, what many people are looking for is just a spot with a nice beach, friendly people, safety, and a bit of relaxation time. IMHO the OP has a very valid point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi