U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-03-2009, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Somewhere between Corpus and Austin, TX
136 posts, read 309,621 times
Reputation: 60

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
I think the refineries and chemical plants are beautiful, so is the Port of Corpus Christi. These are the things which funnel huge amounts of money, (wages and revenue) into our city. Without them we would shrivel up and die. The City of Corpus Christi will never be a top rated tourist destination because of the very limited access by air travel. It's easier to fly from Chicago to Cancun, Mexico than it is to come to CC.

All y'all who pine for a tourist based economy best move to Florida, this is Texas,,, like it or not, we do oil and gas here.

You made the point. Corpus has its eggs in one basket. That of which is dependent on a largely volatile and dirty industry that does nothing to innovate or inspire skilled labor. That pattern is the trademark of Corpus and is exactly the krux of why it's a completely lame town. The more they lure heavy industry, the more they provide an easy uneventful out to people that just want to get out of HS (if they even do that) and run to the refinery or the base for a job.

Yeah, I know some oil field guys that lived like kings for years until this economy sunk in... One of them bought a nice 3500 Cummins back then and is now leveraging it to pay rent and eat....
Rate this post positively

 
Old 11-04-2009, 04:59 PM
SOM
 
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
124 posts, read 436,228 times
Reputation: 100
All you folks who complain about the low level of education / skilled jobs at the refineries have no idea what you're talking about.

Accountants
IT Professionals
Mechanics
Instrumentation Technicians
Engineers (of about 10 different stripes)
Inspectors
Console Operators
Maintenance Supervisors
Planners
Schedulers
Yield Accountants
Electricians
DCS Technicians
Human Resources
Public Affairs
Marketers
And on and on and on....

Oh, yeah, and laborers and welders. <<< The only two roles you apparently think of.

It's patently false to view refinery employees as unskilled and uneducated.


But, hey, back to your dream world where major industries can be wished away....
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-04-2009, 05:57 PM
 
245 posts, read 739,944 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
You made the point. Corpus has its eggs in one basket. That of which is dependent on a largely volatile and dirty industry that does nothing to innovate or inspire skilled labor. That pattern is the trademark of Corpus and is exactly the krux of why it's a completely lame town. The more they lure heavy industry, the more they provide an easy uneventful out to people that just want to get out of HS (if they even do that) and run to the refinery or the base for a job.

Yeah, I know some oil field guys that lived like kings for years until this economy sunk in... One of them bought a nice 3500 Cummins back then and is now leveraging it to pay rent and eat....

Eggs in one basket? CC has way more than just oil and gas. The medical sector is large. Not to mention the attempts to lure more and more alternative energy companies. The port alone is one of the most diversified in the nation. It handles everything from food and automobiles to military and wind energy parts. CC is also growing as a research are in the environmental and energy sectors. Corpus Christi is not lame. YOu don't have to like it but to call it lame is a joke.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2009, 12:18 AM
 
Location: Somewhere between Corpus and Austin, TX
136 posts, read 309,621 times
Reputation: 60
Le Sigh...

Financial? Tech? Entertainment? Insurance?

I'll concede Medical to you only because of Spohn... But how is it that Corpus is lacking a major university medical center, when Galveston has one? Not only did theirs get tore up in a Hurricane, they felt it should remain there.

And AGAIN, as has been stated in numerous posts, attempts mean nothing. Also, I'm looking at hard data... What I observe every day. I see more professionals in an HEB here than I did in a week in the entire city down there. Why doesn't the city lure any lucrative industries with promising ventures for white collar workers? Does the city really want to remain in the stone ages forever? Again, why are college degrees walking out of Corpus so fast and in such large quantities... Well as someone who split town, I'll tell you that it sucks. I've already hosted friends from CC that are in awe of whats up here in comparison to there.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2009, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
17,031 posts, read 27,977,558 times
Reputation: 16213
Almost every city wants to lure white collar jobs...cities bend over backward to attract high tech computer/design type jobs. In turn many of those companies (after the 2001 dive) dont pay so much. But promise 'quality of life' or so they say. If your going to work 60 hours a week and make 65k in a 'quality of life area' or get 90k in a refinery area, which are you going to do?

Refineries, steel and other commodity manufacturing need to be proximate to shipping (ports and rail) to deliver their products. Not pretty but they do provide a number of jobs. Not everyone is college material, so someone has to load the crates...doesn't mean they are bad people.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2009, 08:12 AM
 
6 posts, read 13,457 times
Reputation: 13
I suspect the largest employer in Corpus Christi is neither the refineries nor the hospitals, but the military. In case y'all have forgotten, there is a Naval air station and Army depot on the south end of the city that employs several thousand civilian workers.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2009, 10:22 AM
SOM
 
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
124 posts, read 436,228 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rturpin View Post
I suspect the largest employer in Corpus Christi is neither the refineries nor the hospitals, but the military. In case y'all have forgotten, there is a Naval air station and Army depot on the south end of the city that employs several thousand civilian workers.
Sorry, your post is irrelevant. No one wants to look at what CC *does* have, just paint it in one-dimensional strokes and complain what it *doesn't* have.

Screw it, I'm going to the beach....


Oops, did I just embody the CC slacker, blue collar, uneducated stereotype??? Sorry!!!


Oh, and I wonder if the....

Quote:
Accountants
IT Professionals
Mechanics
Instrumentation Technicians
Engineers (of about 10 different stripes)
Inspectors
Console Operators
Maintenance Supervisors
Planners
Schedulers
Yield Accountants
Electricians
DCS Technicians
Human Resources
Public Affairs
Marketers
And on and on and on....
....folks who work at a refinery in, say, St. Paul or Chicago are as ugly and stupid as the ones who live in Corpus Christi???
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2009, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
17,031 posts, read 27,977,558 times
Reputation: 16213
Having been to all three places quite often I'd say there are attractive and bright people in all three. Some folks just like to complain.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2009, 04:41 PM
 
245 posts, read 739,944 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
Le Sigh...

Financial? Tech? Entertainment? Insurance?

I'll concede Medical to you only because of Spohn... But how is it that Corpus is lacking a major university medical center, when Galveston has one? Not only did theirs get tore up in a Hurricane, they felt it should remain there.

And AGAIN, as has been stated in numerous posts, attempts mean nothing. Also, I'm looking at hard data... What I observe every day. I see more professionals in an HEB here than I did in a week in the entire city down there. Why doesn't the city lure any lucrative industries with promising ventures for white collar workers? Does the city really want to remain in the stone ages forever? Again, why are college degrees walking out of Corpus so fast and in such large quantities... Well as someone who split town, I'll tell you that it sucks. I've already hosted friends from CC that are in awe of whats up here in comparison to there.
We know your type no cigar. You're a dime a dozen. You're the person that moves away to some "incredible" city (let me guess, Dallas, Austin?). A city that is allegedy so much better than Corpus Christi, yet you still spend all your time on here bad mouthing CC. Perhaps you don't have enough to entertain you in your new city. If it were so great wouldn't you just be out enjoying what it has to offer and not worrying about little 'ole Corpus Christi and its "mediocre" people? Not sure what people like you get out of this but it's quite sad. Moving to another city does not change who you are. You're not somehow cooler for living in a larger city. Why can't you just enjoy your life and let others enjoy theirs.

I too have hosted many people in CC who have been amazed had how beautiful and laid back it is...and yes, how much there is to do here. I really hope you eventually realize there's more to life than having a Starbucks and a Costco on every corner. Meanwhile, us sad podunks in Corpus Christi will have to just suffer with our miles of shoreline, friendly people and the thousand other things that make it great.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-05-2009, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Somewhere between Corpus and Austin, TX
136 posts, read 309,621 times
Reputation: 60
I'm going to play bb's game of personal posting and say, would you like a saddle? It would make riding my sacks a LOT more comfy

College kids that split town and get better, higher paying jobs in more exciting locales than Corpus are a dime a dozen. In fact, there were almost 2000 of us over at the ABC this summer.

Quote:
I too have hosted many people in CC who have been amazed had how beautiful and laid back it is...and yes, how much there is to do here. I really hope you eventually realize there's more to life than having a Starbucks and a Costco on every corner. Meanwhile, us sad podunks in Corpus Christi will have to just suffer with our miles of shoreline, friendly people and the thousand other things that make it great.
Starbucks and Costco eh? Paging lemonfresh.... If that's what Corpus thinks people like me love about places like Austin/DF-dub/Htown/SA, then I can see there is a lot of validity to your use of the term "sad podunks"... So you have hosted peple from out of town. Congratulations. Even I though CC was an awesome place for the weekend.

Last edited by no cigar; 11-05-2009 at 09:51 PM..
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top