U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:04 AM

3,219 posts, read 8,253,037 times

Advertisements

Corpus Christi could be the new Texas Riveria if its get rid of that old line thinking that has kept the city so lacking. It should be on the same basis as Tampa. Fla.
Rate this post positively

Old 10-25-2009, 07:08 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,940,278 times
I agree. I've never been there, but just from talking to people who have been there and seeing pics of it, I'm amazed that it isn't marketed as a tourist destination.

Several months ago I posted asking why it isn't and the consensus was that it is marketed and all the local Texans know about it and some vacation there. I was originally thinking of it in a bigger scale like nationwide or even as a destination for foreigners, but I got the impression that wasn't something that sounded desirable. I find that disappointing and I share your views that it could probably do very well as far as tourism is concerned.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:04 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 436,771 times
Oh, please, no!!! I'm all for improving the city, but Tampa is *not* the model I would use. Inaccesible beaches and endless urban sprawl....no thanks!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:19 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,810,681 times
Jammie the KEY is "I've never been there" Ugly nasty refineries line your way into town on I-37/ Yes they provide jobs to mostly uneducated people, thus the schools are bad and there are gangs. Those items do not augur well for any "Riveria".

On the other hand go up the coast 24 miles to Rockport. No polluting industry allowed. Much better schools much less crime.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:22 PM

245 posts, read 740,521 times
Ummm... New Orleans has the same blue collar jobs / refineries and it's a destination. I ugly one if you ask me. Corpus Christi is much more beautiful than NO by far...not to mention hundreds of other locations around the US. The refineries are contained to one major area so it depends on what direction you come into CC. And the uneducated people you refer to make about $80,000 or more and most hold masters degrees or higher. A lot of engineers work at those refineries. Yes Rockport is beautiful but so is CC. But Rockport has no jobs and is why people commute from Rockport for employment. Corpus Christi just needs more locals who appreciate how great it is and work to improve it everyday. Maintenance is one huge issue. But the infrastructure and natural beauty is there.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:17 PM
SOM

Well said, bb54321.

I keep hearing the comments about the refineries (and I'll state up front that I work at one, so take it for what it's worth), and personally I don't think they're offensive at all. It's obviously the industrial stretch of town, nothing wrong with that, we need industry. And, yes, there are lots of good jobs at the refineries.

My mom (who did not have any allegiance to the refineries) thought that they looked like "little jewel boxes" at night, especially when coming over the harbor bridge.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:13 AM

2,601 posts, read 7,810,681 times
SOM how many times have the refineries been cited and fined for chemicals? I dare you to live in that north area where the land is contaminated. After all if the refineries don't bother you, why not buy a bargain.

Bb54321 New Orleans is one of the most famous cities in the world, noted for its music, its french influence and its historic buildings. You may go "umm or better yet Duh" if you really didn' t know that. One other very simple point that escaped you - despite all this New Orleans hasn't been growing. Its gaining some Katrina people back but overall the city hasnt grown much in 20 years. Great point though! (not)

Old 10-27-2009, 07:20 AM
SOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
SOM how many times have the refineries been cited and fined for chemicals? I dare you to live in that north area where the land is contaminated. After all if the refineries don't bother you, why not buy a bargain.
Of course there have been problems associated with the refineries, especially in the past. (What was that word you used? Oh yeah: "duh"). However, the industry and our overall environmental awareness has evolved over the years and decades, and I can attest to the fact that safety and environmental are two of the biggest areas of focus (which is backed up by huge amounts of spending in these areas). Things have improved. And I have lived close to a refinery....and go to work in one every day.

I suspect that you drive and maybe even fly from time to time and probably use various petroleum-based products. In other words, you are a customer and consumer....doesn't mean you have to love the refineries, but you might want to think twice about what would happen if they went away!

ANYWAY, I don't think the fact that CC has an "industrial corridor" holds it back. I believe inept city management is the biggest obstacle CC has with regards to growth and improvements.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:47 AM

1,505 posts, read 3,967,453 times
I wonder just how useful it is for CC to market itself as a tourist destination. Anecdotal evidence suggest that it is just not worth the time or money to vacation in CC when other options are available. What I mean is that there is little reason for me (as an example) to vacation in CC when I could for the same money and just a little more travel time, go to Cancun. I suspect many people feel the same way.

CC might do better to market itself as a distinctly Texan place to live (not vacation) along the coast. The beaches aren't exactly world class, the city is not exactly Miami, but it beats Galveston, Beaumont, and Port Lavaca and isn't as isolated as RGV.

I like CC and I can't imagine why it hasn't really lived up to its potential, but there must be a good reason. I don't know if inept government can account fully for the lack of growth. Usually inept/corrupt governments actually make development easier.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:46 PM

79 posts, read 80,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post
Well said, bb54321.

I keep hearing the comments about the refineries (and I'll state up front that I work at one, so take it for what it's worth), and personally I don't think they're offensive at all. It's obviously the industrial stretch of town, nothing wrong with that, we need industry. And, yes, there are lots of good jobs at the refineries.

My mom (who did not have any allegiance to the refineries) thought that they looked like "little jewel boxes" at night, especially when coming over the harbor bridge.
My wife,granddaughter,and I drove to CC from SA on I-37 4 years ago because I had always wanted to go to CC.Its sad I'll probably never get back there again because my wife commented how un-attractive the refineries were as they greeted us arriving in CC on I-37. If they could plant some type of tropical Tree Line along the highway to distract from the refineries it would greatly improve the appearance and FIRST IMPRESSIONS of CC.
I enjoyed visiting the USS Lexington and the Texas State Aquarium.I would like to spend more time in CC and Port Aransas but the first impression probably won't allow that to happen.
I wish the very best for CC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi