U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:20 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,443,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post
A realtor used that term with me once. Basically, it's a desirable, narrow strip of land. The term just kind of stuck with me.
Oh I see now. My mind went straight to the middle east, Hamas, molotov cocktails, fierce disputes over who has more claim to the area, etc.

Desirable wasnt the first adjective that came to mind LOL!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 01:02 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,814,950 times
Jbtx have some integrity. I don't like Corpus Christi ISD and often have some negative things to say about it but its far from being the worst in the state. Of the 1100 or so districts there are probably 400 that are worse. True, It takes slightly more time to look up facts than make them up, but why intentionally misinform people? By the way Port Aransas has the highest ranking in the area and ACISD ( Rockport) and Flour Bluff are right up there especially considering they are larger than Port A

BB54321 was correct to call you out on that.

As to the general question comparing CC to Phx is difficult because they are so different. The climate - politics-terrain have nothing in common.

PHx is best compared to other desert communities - Its bigger and has more crime than say Albuquerque and El Paso- its probably most like Las Vegas if LV didn't have the gambling and tourism. I lived in Tucson and Tucson had cooler summers and warmer winters but urban sprawl has gotten horrible in both places.

Corpus is basically a poorer community built around nasty refineries and is one of the only places in the country that would consider a Las Brisas. Corpus is cheaper to live than Phx and its schools are probably a bit worse but then Arizona has better schools than Texas.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:52 AM

484 posts, read 1,457,439 times
Quote:
Jbtx have some integrity.
Wow~! I guess I've been properly put in my place now.

Ocean2026, are you a teacher? Do you have direct hands on experience with what goes on in a CCISD classroom and what passes for a high school education? We do, and it ain't pretty.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:25 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 437,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
Ocean2026, are you a teacher? Do you have direct hands on experience with what goes on in a CCISD classroom and what passes for a high school education? We do, and it ain't pretty.
It's a bit of a leap to go from anecdotal, subjective experience to statistical conclusions. "Bad" <> "Worst in State".

Just sayin'.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:55 AM

SOM who I've disagreed with in the past is correct and makes an important point more posters should be aware of.

. JBTX are you claiming to be a teacher? if so you should have taken a class in methodology. My opinion is based on the overall ratings and test results of ALL CCISD students. Anecdotal evidence is invalid-Here are some examples. "Hitler was a bad person but someone might say "Joe told me that he used to pet his dog- nice people pet animals so Hitler may have been allright" Another might say in response to "Taft has the lowest reading scores in the area" I know someone who went there and he/she seems to be able to read ok" "crack cocaine is addictive and dangerous" but you might say "Gee I tried a bit once and nothing bad happened to me" Drunk Driving causes accidents-- "Gee my brother had too much to drink once but made it home without crashing into anything"

To answer your question specifically - yes I've taught college including classes at Del Mar filled with recent CCISD graduates, and I'm a school board member in Rockport. More relevantly I publish articles on demographics/statistics.

You can certainly say "CCISD has some poor schools and graduates some people who are barely literate" however when you jump and say its the worst district of the 1100 in the state you are factually wrong.

Good post SOM!

Old 11-19-2009, 08:49 AM

484 posts, read 1,457,439 times
Quote:
To answer your question specifically - yes I've taught college including classes at Del Mar filled with recent CCISD graduates, and I'm a school board member in Rockport. More relevantly I publish articles on demographics/statistics.
Wow~! I'm impressed.

We are also a family of teachers. I left teaching, (college level), to go back to the real world some years ago because we needed the money, my wife is still grinding away at Del Mar.

Perhaps, with your vast experience, you can explain why CCISD grads come to Del Mar unable to do basic math, have zero exposure to simple science and physics, and cannot read and comprehend English above the 8th grade level?

Del Mar has become little more than another CCISD high school. Worse yet, its a Diploma Factory. You pays your money, and you gets a piece of paper. Its worthless, but it has the look of a diploma.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:53 PM

17,031 posts, read 28,028,337 times
Lets get back on track comparing CC and Phoenix...

Old 11-21-2009, 04:08 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,802,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Lets get back on track comparing CC and Phoenix...
Please.

Anyways, I have heard Phoenix and Dallas being very comparable to one another. Both by being materialistic, cosmopolitan, high maintenance, and somewhat stuck-up. I don't know whether this is true or not about either city, but if it is, then Corpus is the exact opposite. It has a very laid back feel to it. People work hard for what they have and could care less if the neighbor has better. Phoenix is a growing city, Corpus is stagnant. Our city council members are like a bunch of monkeys in an office clueless as to why they are there. All of them are just worried about how they can benefit their own private companies and could care less about the greater good for the city or its citizens. With the exception of Joe Adame, the mayor.

Basically comparing Phoenix with CC is like comparing day with night. There are no similarities.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:04 PM

Gee I'm agreeing with all the wrong people on this thread- the world must be spinning backwards. Gabe said it well and he didn't even have to make up any statistics to bolster his case! Good work!

Let's look in detail

Traffic-- PHX pretty bad - worse than avg CC - along with Buffalo NY the 2 most drivable cities

Pollution - Phx high in particulates some ozone CC- low in everything except near refineries

Education - Phx better schools and Major Univ (ASU) (PAC 10) CC mediocre- poor schools, branch college

Climate--- Phx- Hot and arid CC- hot and humid

Demographics -- Higher %age of Black lower of Hispanic than CC

Sports-- phx pro NBA NFL MLB + great colleges come to ASU - USC, CAL, UCLA CC Rusty the Hook

Vegetation -- phx desert some palms Sagauro Cactus CC. Palms and normal southern veg

Terrain Beach with no water (lol desert) CC beach Ocean and great lake esp north part

Politics Conservative GOP Most years but becoming more Dem CC along ethnic lines mostly

Economy More diverse manufacturing Tech Education CC refineries some military

Real Estate More expensive large boom and super bust CC Cheaper less volatile

Transportation Phx mid major hub more flights CC Puddle jumpers

Women- Phx Less fat nice variety CC gorditas

Men ( who cares-lol ) CC gordos

Partying - Attutudes Phx wilder more open-minded CC yawn

Pets -- Phx long snakes with big diamond designs CC possums! (actually nice and they don't carry disease)

Population Growth -- PHX rapid growth till recession CC kids have kids but grownups leave

JBTX read my prior posts teacher, I never said CC had good schools - they don't. Some of us however took exception to your claim it is the worst in Texas- it isn't

Last edited by ocean2026; 11-21-2009 at 05:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi