U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 05:36 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,442,142 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I want to say I have only been there in passing but liked what I saw. I currently live in Phx and dont like it here. Were a family with 2 kids so want to have a place in a better school district as opposed to a place thats the center of the nightlife etc. Can anyone point me in the direction of some areas to consider? Looking for the bare essentials and no need for excessive luxury.

What I like about it is the fact is that its a waterfront town, and not too huge, not too small. My work can be done anywhere that I can get high speed internet access, so I'm not concerned about finding a local job, or the shortest commute routes to downtown and all that.

Anyone lived in both Phx & CC? Can you tell me if I'm crazy that I want to leave Phx? People here all think that everywhere else in the country is a humid, buggy slime pit but I dont mind humidity in exchange for living in a greener, coastal place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 07:57 AM

484 posts, read 1,455,805 times
The better school districts, (by reputation) are CalAllen, Tuloso-Midway, and Portland. CCISD is without peer as being the worst in the state.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:08 AM

245 posts, read 740,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
The better school districts, (by reputation) are CalAllen, Tuloso-Midway, and Portland. CCISD is without peer as being the worst in the state.

CCISD worst in the state? Where do you get your facts? I don't believe that for a second.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:42 AM

I see CalAllen repeated alot in threads. I read more after I posted and will try to see what areas that mean.

None of the complaints about heat, humidity, bother me cause Im from phx. Yes, I know that humidity makes it worse, but oh well, Im used to heat period.

Also if you ever browse the forum there its the same. Lots of bashing, statistics on crime, etc. I know where those parts are in Phx and dont live in them and remain unaffected. I figure its the same way over here in CC. The crime is largely in one concentrated area and happens more likely among those that run in those circles.

From reading the posts about CC, here is one thing I will say... I see alot of complaints about the lack of "high end shopping" and the people who crave that type of thing have to drive to San Antonio or wherever.

Well take it from me... Phoenix is a land built on high end resorts, fashion malls, gated communities, golfing and rich retirees. There is so much high end shopping its sickening. The crowd that high end shopping attracts is a superficial, unfriendly and judgemental bunch. The retirees only live there during the best time of the year and then skip town during the heat, which is fine. But I dont like how they preach about how wonderful it is when they themselves cant stand it for about 8-9 months of the year.

Count it as a blessing that your city is more "blue collar" as I read and that your city planners arent jumping out of their skin to turn the city into some snooty untouchable lifestyle.

The overwhelming majority of Phoenix has serious issues with manicured perfectionism. SO many people here obsess over what color the trim of your house is, how long your garbage can has sat on the curb waiting for the truck to come, they have rules about not being able to see ANYTHING peeking over your own backyard block wall, like RV's, boats, etc. Its NOT a fun way to live!! If you want easy access to high end shopping, go move there. Dont court them to come to CC and ruin it. Be more original than that. Maybe you need something else, sure, but high end shopping is a BORE and will be a real buzzkill for an easygoing crowd.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:13 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 436,828 times
Great post, cmist!

I think there is a "funkiness" in CC that is part of it's attraction for me. And I mean *real* funkiness, not the overly-self-aware, "Keep Austin Weird" type of funkiness that start to feel oh-so-trendy and deliberate. Kind of like some parts of the deep South / Florida before Mickey Mouse took over. Of course, "real" funkiness can border on the edge of "trashiness" for some people! That's why it's not for everyone....

As far as humidity goes, I actually prefer the combination of humidity + wind to dry heat. It kind of sets up a "cooling cycle"....humidity makes you sweat, wind dries the sweat while cooling you down. Having saif that, it can still get miserable here!

Judging from your posts, you may like it here!

Old 11-08-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post
Great post, cmist!

I think there is a "funkiness" in CC that is part of it's attraction for me. And I mean *real* funkiness, not the overly-self-aware, "Keep Austin Weird" type of funkiness that start to feel oh-so-trendy and deliberate. Kind of like some parts of the deep South / Florida before Mickey Mouse took over. Of course, "real" funkiness can border on the edge of "trashiness" for some people! That's why it's not for everyone....

As far as humidity goes, I actually prefer the combination of humidity + wind to dry heat. It kind of sets up a "cooling cycle"....humidity makes you sweat, wind dries the sweat while cooling you down. Having saif that, it can still get miserable here!

Judging from your posts, you may like it here!
haha i love the austin remarks. Never been there, but that gave me a good visual. Places in Phx that are considered *funky* fit the same deliberate self aware description.

Too-Shay!!

Old 11-09-2009, 06:05 AM

484 posts, read 1,455,805 times
cmist,

I think you will be pleasantly surprised WRT the; "heat", as you call it. During the worst dog days of summer in July/August, CC is usually several degrees cooler than San Antonio, Austin, or Dallas. The sea breeze keeps the temps on average in the low 90's while the inland cities swelter above 100.

The down side to all this warm weather is that we have to mow grass 10 months a year. Everything has a price.

Last edited by jbtx; 11-09-2009 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 11-09-2009, 01:42 PM

15,247 posts, read 17,831,782 times
Quote:
I don't think CC is a "love it or hate it" type of place....it's easy to do both at the same time!

Things I like:

- The beaches (not world-class tropical caliber, but still wonderful)
- *Driving* on the beaches - Nothing like driving up to your "spot"
- The bayfront (can you tell I like water?)
- The cultural events we do have (occasional concert worth going to, jazz festival, Harbor Playhouse, Seven Day Film Festival, etc.)
- Diversity - I really like the Hispanic influence
- Restaurants - I lived in Minneapolis/St. Paul for 2.5 years and did not find as many good *cheap* restaurants as we have here
- Laid-back lifestyle, ease of day-to-day living
- The weather - winters are great, and who cares how hot it is when you're on the beach?
- Shopping - pretty much everything you need....hell, we even have a decent record store (as in "record"....vinyl!)
- Friendliness of the people - seems like people are *always* holding doors for others at convenience stores and stuff, and when I hold a door, the most dangerous looking tattooed thugster will say "thank you sir"
- Strong Catholic diocese (if that's you cup of tea)....the Cathedral is gorgeous, with a truly world-class choir
- Not exactly a "college town", but we do have A&M and Del Mar (highly rated jr. college)
- Funkiness - CC (and South Texas) is in some ways a little like the deep south, with an air of quirkiness or something....and not at ALL like the "weirdness" that Austin is trying to preserve! Something a little more, I don't know, qrotesque / Southern-gothic. Or maybe I'm just smoking' crack.
- Day trips - lots of good places to visit....Rockport, San Antonio, Houston, Aransas Wildlife Refuge, Kingsville, etc. Make it a weekend, and there's a lot more...

Things I DON'T like:

- The weather....unfortunately, you can't be on the beach every moment during the summer, and it DOES get hot & humid! And it really gets old when it drags on through September and into October.
- The rundown feeling of it - Maybe this is the downside of "funkiness"...there are some pretty crappy neighborhood...some? A lot! And as others have mentioned, have good suspension on your car!
- The school system is not very good. There are alternatives, and good schools in surrounding areas, but it is a weakness.
- Lack of cultural events....it's not a wasteland, but (being a music nut) I would love to see more good concerts here.
- Trash, graffitti, and more trash, and more graffitti....sometimes you just wonder what the hell is wrong with these people.
- Lack of a wide variety of ethnic food.....not a single Indian restaurant!
- Lack of woods or mountains or any geographical distinction other than the water

All in all, in my love-hate relationship, the hate has won a few times and I've moved away, but I keep coming back, and I'm here now. And I have lots of "God, I love it here, I can spend the rest of my life here" moments.

As far as neighborhoods go, I prefer the "gaza strip" (as a realtor once called it)....the area between Ocean Drive and Alameda. Older neighborhoods, some nice architecture, trees, close to downtown, close to the bay, no traffic.

As far as crime goes, yeah there is a gang element here, but I feel as safe here is I do anywhere else where I mind my own business, don't go to the wrong places, and don't do anything stupid.

As far as employment goes, I left after college because I could not find a job. I feel fortunate to work where I do, but have thought that if I lost my job, I would *probably* have to move. So, not a big job market....but people do work (uhh, was that a candidate for "most obvious statement"?)
This is an older post of SOM's that I think sums up CC very well.

The only thing I want to add is that I was in Phoenix once in August and I thought it was an unearthly kind of heat. It gave me a panicky feeling. Here, it gets really, really hot and humid, but it doesn't feel like you could evaporate walking down the street.

If you're not in a hurry, I suggest waiting and visiting next summer. If you come right now, you're going to love it because the temperatures are moderate and recent rains have turned everything green. You really need to be here in August to see if you can stand the humidity. For some people it's worse than the heat.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:13 PM

Why is that area called the "gaza strip"? lol my imagination is running away with me as to all the different reasons this might be so?

Old 11-09-2009, 04:30 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 436,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Why is that area called the "gaza strip"? lol my imagination is running away with me as to all the different reasons this might be so?
A realtor used that term with me once. Basically, it's a desirable, narrow strip of land. The term just kind of stuck with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi