U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 02:09 AM

61 posts, read 257,280 times

Advertisements

I am looking foward to moving to Corpus Christi, TX just after Christmas and have been looking online for job opportunities but have been finding a lot of sites that have a lot of scams and spam. I am trying to find a legit site for the Corpus Christi, TX area for real job opportunities. I hope to go back to college soon and find a job either in a private school or a church. I am wanting to become a teacher and would love to gain that experience while earning my four year degree. I also would like to find a church that would allow me to teach martial arts.

My soon to be husband would like to find work in a warehouse or somewhere he can use his fork lift talents.

I will also be looking for a church. I do not claim a particular denomination in faith, but I am of the Christian faith. I am looking for a church that is more modern in their style of worship, allow women to be more than just followers in the church, and has a good mix of people of all ages.

I appreciate any help anyone could provide.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 08:41 AM

484 posts, read 1,457,439 times
Kicking for Jesus

Just a guess, you are very young and neither you or your husband-to-be have much past a high school education.

CC might be a good starting point for you guys. We have a cool Community College where you can learn a trade and get a career started if you want to. It might also be a good grounding point with your religious leanings. CC has many Churches which espouse similar fundamental teachings.

I'd invite you here, but I'm probably too conservative for you.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:44 AM

163 posts, read 639,130 times
Check the caller.com under jobs. Hope that helps and good luck

Old 11-23-2009, 09:06 AM

Kicking for Jesus, yep, that's me.

I am 31 years old and he's 34. He's orignally from Corpus Christi, but hasnt' lived there since he was 18. Things have chnaged a lot he said.

I have a two year degree, but was never able to find work in that field. Computers. Now that degree is out of date. I want to earn a four year degrees so that I can teach school. I've heard of DelMar but I do not have much more classes I can take at a community college level before the university says that's the limit on how many courses you can transfer over.

I'm of the Christian faith, yes, but I do not consider myself a liberal. But I don't want the fact that being a female stops me from being active in a church. I don't like for men to tell me that I have to be silent and I can't share any poetry, my testimony, or so. I do not want to be the main preacher of a church, but I dont' want to be just a nursery care worker either. I am also not a big fan of tradition.

As far as callertimes.com I have been there. But even with them there are a lot of scam / spam type sites on there. Some of the postings sound like great jobs but they are not legit. I am trying to find more of a list of companies / businesses / etc then I can research their webites and contact them directly.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:22 AM

484 posts, read 1,457,439 times
Kicking for Jesus,

The reality is that Corpus Christi is a largely Catholic Community. We have been that way for about one hundred and fifty years. You cannot probably change our thinking, no matter how hard you might try. We are what we are.

If you are on a mission to convert the heathen, perhaps you'd be better off to start somewhere else...

Otherwise,,, welcome to CC.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:32 AM

Catholic is Christian, just a different form of it.

I'm not looking to convert anyone, just wishing to serve where I am.

I just don't want to be a follower. I want to help others.

Corpus Christi is primarly Cathoic due to the large Hispanic population and the ways of tradition. My future husband said he is Catholic because his mother is Catholic because her family is Catholic. However after speaking to him about his faith, he is not Catholic.

I don't claim a particular denomination in the faith of Christianity.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,922 times
If your looking for a church that is not traditional and is in your age group. There is a church in Callallen area of Corpus Christi (New Life Baptist Church). We would like to invite you to come see what its all about newlifebc.cc

Old 01-12-2010, 01:25 PM

1,986 posts, read 1,558,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking4JC View Post
Catholic is Christian, just a different form of it. .
What does that mean ..lol ..ahhh to be young again ..... Different as compared to what ?? I am a born Baptist that is a Catholic convert ,, many years back .

Quote:
I'm not looking to convert anyone, just wishing to serve where I am.

I just don't want to be a follower. I want to help others.

Corpus Christi is primarly Cathoic due to the large Hispanic population and the ways of tradition. My future husband said he is Catholic because his mother is Catholic because her family is Catholic. However after speaking to him about his faith, he is not Catholic.

I don't claim a particular denomination in the faith of Christianity.
You say that as if you are relieved to hear that he may not be Catholic ... By the way I am the liberal Catholic here as opposed to the perhaps more conservative one above me here .. there are many churches that dont keep women from leadership roles ,,, I am wondering where you've been where women were so ( or at least FELT so ) downtrodden. You mean like in a Priest/Pastor/Rabbi sort of way or just in general...

Old 01-13-2010, 12:00 AM

I am a Christian, one who believes in Christ as the Son of God who died on the cross for our sins. Anyone who believes that is a Christian. I am not one to follow tradition or feel I have to worship one particular way. God created us and then we have our cultures and such which add to variety and diversity in worship. Some like accapela, some like a simple piano, others music. There are so many styles from blue grass, gospel, rock, dance, etc too. I don't like being told you must stand on this song, you have to sit on this song, you can't clap, etc. I like to worship from the heart.

As far as liberal Catholic, I never heard of it. Could you provide more inforamtion?

Catolic is Christian, but different means of the different ways in beliefs such as confession, communion, a priest who has to be celebate, nuns, rosery, prayer to Mary, infant baptism, and non immersion baptism. All of which I disagree with. I only ask confession from my God and those I may have affected in my sin. I also believe communion is symbolic, not actual body and blood of Christ.

With my fiance not being Catolic, I would not have to attend those conformation classes, or so prior to marriage, which I do not believe in either.

I been to churches where a woman could not pray in front of men, could not read poetry that she wrote that was about God, could not share her testimony, would not allow women to be youth directors, or music directors, etc. All women could do is teach children in Sunday school and maybe be the childcare director. I like to teach, but I don't want to be a nursery care worker.

I will be sure to check out that link for New Life.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:55 AM

1,986 posts, read 1,558,352 times
[quote=Kicking4JC;12422379]
Quote:
As far as liberal Catholic, I never heard of it. Could you provide more inforamtion?.
Sure ,, my gall bladder burst 7 years ago , I didnt have the money or any insurance and our house had just burned down.. The parish paid for my surgeries and dr's with no questions asked. Manyyears ago I was divorced from a very abusive man who literally took everything I had in cluding my clothes ,,, again the diocese stepped up and clothed ,fed and found a house for me ,,again no questions asked.. I wasnt even required to send a thank you note ... When My husband immigrated here from the Netherlands, I was still recovering from surgery , you are ineligible for any government help while you are waiting for your work permit ,,again the church helped they gave him every conceiveable odd job any parishoner had and made sure we had food ,,and they suspended my daughters catholic school tuition totally ,,she was born a Catholic and they made sure she didnt have to pay for that time.. My husband is an avaition professional with the US Navy and they knew it could be sometime (9 mo) before he could get his work permit and they were willing to help all with no questions asked ,, right here in Corpus .. they are well known for for ages for helping any and everyone ,,Catholic or not

Quote:
[Catolic is Christian, but different means of the different ways in beliefs such as confession, communion, a priest who has to be celebate, nuns, rosery, prayer to Mary, infant baptism, and non immersion baptism. All of which I disagree with. I only ask confession from my God and those I may have affected in my sin. I also believe communion is symbolic, not actual body and blood of Christ.

With my fiance not being Catolic, I would not have to attend those conformation classes, or so prior to marriage, which I do not believe in either..
Your choice of course but you know Catholicism began the moment Jesus died ,,2010 years ago , this isnt some new offshoot on a strip mall by any means. I personally love praying the Rosary as do others from around the world,, it gives me alot of peace.

Quote:
I been to churches where a woman could not pray in front of men, could not read poetry that she wrote that was about God, could not share her testimony, would not allow women to be youth directors, or music directors, etc. All women could do is teach children in Sunday school and maybe be the childcare director..
That is silly ,, but was what I had figured ,, I am sure you will enjoy new life however the Catholics are not the above at all ,,and most of us have a pretty good sense of humor about ourselves along the way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi