U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:47 PM

245 posts, read 735,240 times

Advertisements

There's actually quite a bit to do in CC and the surrounding area, if your active. Much of it is cheap or even free. Threre's plenty of live music, outdoor sports, cultural activities, festivals, professional sports, college sports, etc. You just have to look for it, but it's all there any given day of the week.

NB is cool but that entire corridor from Austin to SA is getting way too congested. A lot of people in one area but no real benefits that seem to outweigh all the hassle in my opinion. In CC you get roughly the same amenities you find in a larger city, only on a slightly smaller scale and without the troubles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 09:19 AM

136 posts, read 307,748 times
Ask yourself some questions, are you interested in a fast paced highly dynamic place or somewhere so laid back it hasn't left the 70s yet? Do you want the real deal or a weak imitation?

Corpus, as I've said many times, is like a 10 year old walking around in his daddy's boots, playing Sheriff of his town of stuffed animals...

It's got all those attractions mentioned, but they are on a MUCH MUCH MUCH reduced scale.

Live Music: Yes, there is SOME. Hardly the same type of traveling acts as you would get in Austin/SA.

College Sports: I wouldn't hardly consider TAMUCC (I graduated from here)/TAMUK football a substitute for UT

Professional Sports: Ummm semi professional. They may be getting paid to play but the hardly what most consider professional sports (Spurs Mavs Astros etc.).

If you are small minded enough to rally around miniture versions of what bigger more developed cities have then you can live in CC no sweat -- if you are expecting real progress, don't be surprised if a year into it, you wonder why the hell you moved. CC was tolerable for me because I had friends and people do hang out with a lot, although I did more traveling away from the place I was living than I ever did when I lived in Austin originally.

Last edited by no cigar; 12-11-2009 at 09:44 AM..

Old 12-11-2009, 12:57 PM

484 posts, read 1,435,522 times
Quote:
Professional Sports: Ummm semi professional. They may be getting paid to play but the hardly what most consider professional sports (Spurs Mavs Astros etc.).
Some of us go to see the Hooks play for the sheer entertainment value of going to the ball park on a summer's evening, not because we might see a super star. IMHO, most professional sports teams boil down to who has the biggest and fastest that money can buy, there's no home town pride in watching some guy imported from Cleveland play against others imported similarly from 1,000's of miles away.

In the same vein, I prefer to see high school football to watching the pros. The CalAllen wildcats are always a good show.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:58 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 432,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
If you are so small minded that you need big entertainment and big sports to make your life meaningful, and large crowds and traffic make you feel like you must be in the right place 'cause, hey, everbody else is there too, then you probably won't like CC. However, if you want to live in a truly laid-back place with no traffic, all of the essentials, a beautiful sea-side environment, and are able to fill your life with friends, family, and interesting activities, then CC may be for you.
Fixed.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:21 AM

190 posts, read 431,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
Ask yourself some questions, are you interested in a fast paced highly dynamic place or somewhere so laid back it hasn't left the 70s yet? Do you want the real deal or a weak imitation?

Corpus, as I've said many times, is like a 10 year old walking around in his daddy's boots, playing Sheriff of his town of stuffed animals...

It's got all those attractions mentioned, but they are on a MUCH MUCH MUCH reduced scale.

Live Music: Yes, there is SOME. Hardly the same type of traveling acts as you would get in Austin/SA.

College Sports: I wouldn't hardly consider TAMUCC (I graduated from here)/TAMUK football a substitute for UT

If you are small minded enough to rally around miniture versions of what bigger more developed cities have then you can live in CC no sweat -- if you are expecting real progress, don't be surprised if a year into it, you wonder why the hell you moved. CC was tolerable for me because I had friends and people do hang out with a lot, although I did more traveling away from the place I was living than I ever did when I lived in Austin originally.
there's more for me to do in CC than in Austin or san Antonio.

None of the things you mentioned in your post appeal to a guy like me. I live in Portland OR right now and I drive over 3 hours almost every weekend to coos bay OR because there is nothing for a guy like me to do in Portland except make money. The last thing I want to do is move halfway across the country to live in another place where I have to drive 45 minutes every time I want to shoot a gun, ride dirt bike or go fishing.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 12-12-2009, 11:36 AM

17,031 posts, read 27,814,236 times
CC is excellent for fishing, and Texas in general is very gun friendly (whoda thunk!)

Old 12-12-2009, 06:26 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,757,637 times
Once again i find myself agreeing with Gabe -jeez two times in a row! The young women in CC are pretty, but then thinking "more is better", they embark on a diet of hamburguesas and chiccarones. Soon they can brag that they are "twice the woman" than you can ordinarily find somewhere else. The indolent lifestyle of laying on their back and "munching out", and praying a knight in shining armor brings them a burrito, does not lend itself to a fit healthy body. On internet dating sites they use old pictures from their pre-buffet days and when one meets them and asks why didn't they use a current picture its because it couldn't fit. Beware of code words such as "BBW, thick, big booty,ample and hog"

I have a date coming over in a couple of hours - if she sees this I am going to catch hell lol (she's avg sized though).

On a more serious note. There are more women than men in the Valley part of Texas ( way more and in the east side of el paso) There are more men than women in Rockport and central Houston.

PS SOM good short post about they all look good -cause you're married.

Last edited by ocean2026; 12-12-2009 at 06:38 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 01:25 PM

136 posts, read 307,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1979 View Post
there's more for me to do in CC than in Austin or san Antonio.

None of the things you mentioned in your post appeal to a guy like me. I live in Portland OR right now and I drive over 3 hours almost every weekend to coos bay OR because there is nothing for a guy like me to do in Portland except make money. The last thing I want to do is move halfway across the country to live in another place where I have to drive 45 minutes every time I want to shoot a gun, ride dirt bike or go fishing.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Funny because I drive about 20 minutes to our farm and I'm about as far away from the hustle as I can be, and have enough space for a 500 yd .223 range... Even zero light polution to boot... An hr and-a-half and I can go from a cubicle to a deer blind. Believe me, this is not Houston.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:11 PM

190 posts, read 431,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Posted by- mikey1979; This is the thing I hate cold weather, traffic, a bad economy and I would like some decent fishing close enough to enjoy after work. What makes more appealing than is the economy is much stronger, there’s a lot more water to play in and the laws are awesome for what I do.

Hey guy, have you taken a look at the city of New Braunsfels? Nice German city just outside of SA. NB gets plenty of traffic from Austin and San Antonio, as it sits between both major cities.

New Braunfels, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Btw, unemployment rate is 7.0% in SA, the lowest within the four major cities in Texas. I would highly suggest you doing some more research before making the move to any city. IMO, CC is a good city to visit. But honestly, not much to do after a couple of days.

Texas Economy at a Glance

Good luck on your move!!
New Braunfels was actually one of the first cities I looked at when I first started researching places to live in texas last year. It's just too far of a drive from San Antonio or Austin for me to run service calls for my business and it’s not big enough for me to make a living doing what I do without commuting into one of the larger cities. Not to mention even if it was close enough I'm back to fighting traffic in a huge city again which is one of the main things I'm trying to get away from.

Also the fishing in that area isn’t that great unless your willing to go for a drive which is yet another thing I’m trying to avoid.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:40 AM

245 posts, read 735,240 times
I know some people that moved here from Portland, OR a few years ago and they love it. CC sounds like a good fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi