U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:28 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,518,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post
I guess you youngsters don't remember when North Beach was *really* shady! Back before the Lexington and the Aquarium.

I do , I do ,,,,,,, I used to go to a tattoo parlor there directly under the Bridge ,, "Bill the Beachcomber" with my latest outlaw oilfield/sailor boyfriend of the day

I still continue on today with my artwork at Electra Art but me and one or two older artists talk about that place ,, it is very signifcant in tattoo-ing history ,,actually a very famous place that , of course, served sailors from around the world ......

I realize this is not for everyones taste but is still interesting for some ....

Also that movie " The Legend of Billie Jean" was filmed at that old fun track place there ( and in Flour Bluff -- you can see Dockside Surf Shop )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:59 AM

2,601 posts, read 7,748,343 times
This thread supplies the answer to the OP's question. Years ago North Beach had problems and a bad reputation. Old timers remember and are slow to change.

With the rapid growth of Portland and Rockport to the North, and some congestion in Corpus to the South North Beach is prime to grow. Its the best georgraphical location in the area. It probably also has the highest beach to person ratio.

I bought one of those Villa Del Sol Condos and have it leased it. It cost about $40,000, eventually they will be much more expensive. I also bought several lots on a corner of Beach and Timmons for $14,000 in 2001 or so and about 18 months later sold them for $66,000.

North Beach is the best place in Corpus Christi to invest in- although "The Cut" has some more speculative appeal.

If I didn't want to go to Ingleside or Rockport ( which is pretty much a sure thing due to continued growth) I would not hesitate to look at North Beach.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 7,006 times
I am a 63 year old woman whose grandparents always lived on North Beach and I lived there too for several years. They ran Halls Cottages, which were torn down to become the aquarium. Then my grandparents were the managers for the Breakers Hotel for a few years, then retired and lived in two different little houses on North Beach. Both houses were destroyed in hurricanes, so they finally moved into CC town when I was in high school in the 60's. My grandfather, Cecil Proctor, was always working hard to promote development of the Beach, working with Kiwansis and a group of other businessmen, even though it was touch and go. I dream often of the old shell shops and tattoo parlors, the movie theater and the little fire station there, plus all the cottages and the boat repair company. There were also 2 shrimp piers and shops next to us. It was a wonderful place for me and my brother, adventuresome and really fun to play with the tourists who returned every summer. The Hotel was magnificent, just huge and beautiful. It's a shame we don't have more photos of everything back then. My brother and I walked across that Bascule Bridge every day to get him to school. It was a little scary. They blew a loud horn before they were going to raise the bridge, warning people to get off.
My grandparents had a pier and a fishing boat, there was great fishing and shrimping back then. I miss it.
Sherry

Old 01-17-2010, 03:25 PM

2,027 posts, read 6,485,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
This thread supplies the answer to the OP's question. Years ago North Beach had problems and a bad reputation. Old timers remember and are slow to change.

With the rapid growth of Portland and Rockport to the North, and some congestion in Corpus to the South North Beach is prime to grow. Its the best georgraphical location in the area. It probably also has the highest beach to person ratio.

I bought one of those Villa Del Sol Condos and have it leased it. It cost about $40,000, eventually they will be much more expensive. I also bought several lots on a corner of Beach and Timmons for $14,000 in 2001 or so and about 18 months later sold them for $66,000.

North Beach is the best place in Corpus Christi to invest in- although "The Cut" has some more speculative appeal.

If I didn't want to go to Ingleside or Rockport ( which is pretty much a sure thing due to continued growth) I would not hesitate to look at North Beach.
I rented a Villa Del Sol condo for a week a few summers back. It was a complete dump. I was utterly disgusted. I tried not to let it ruin my trip, but it was certainly hard.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:09 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,748,343 times
Tgannaway yes it used to be a dump but take a look now. Its had lol 2-3 different management companies (sounds like a bad Chinese Restaurant) and they did a $2.5 million assessment to make improvements.

One of the tricks is to rent from ELAINE's CONDOs she personally keeps hers up to snuff- don't just take your chances at the front desk. She has a website easy to google.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Status: "Something YUUUGE happens in Tulsa soon!" (set 12 hours ago)

49,412 posts, read 39,416,079 times
I hope the area does get developed. It doesn't have to necessarily be an amusement park, but builders can put something together that can best complement the aquarium and all of the surrounding development. What a great opportunity for Corpus.

I wonder if that area will eventually have its own website if it doesn't already??

Old 02-07-2010, 09:31 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,334,449 times
the're comming back slowly after the Hurricane.

I like NB...No drunk Frats running around...mostly families enjoying the day.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:03 AM

19 posts, read 149,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry leslie View Post
I am a 63 year old woman whose grandparents always lived on North Beach and I lived there too for several years. They ran Halls Cottages, which were torn down to become the aquarium. Then my grandparents were the managers for the Breakers Hotel for a few years, then retired and lived in two different little houses on North Beach. Both houses were destroyed in hurricanes, so they finally moved into CC town when I was in high school in the 60's. My grandfather, Cecil Proctor, was always working hard to promote development of the Beach, working with Kiwansis and a group of other businessmen, even though it was touch and go. I dream often of the old shell shops and tattoo parlors, the movie theater and the little fire station there, plus all the cottages and the boat repair company. There were also 2 shrimp piers and shops next to us. It was a wonderful place for me and my brother, adventuresome and really fun to play with the tourists who returned every summer. The Hotel was magnificent, just huge and beautiful. It's a shame we don't have more photos of everything back then. My brother and I walked across that Bascule Bridge every day to get him to school. It was a little scary. They blew a loud horn before they were going to raise the bridge, warning people to get off.
My grandparents had a pier and a fishing boat, there was great fishing and shrimping back then. I miss it.
Sherry
One of the best memories of my childhood happened when my cousins from Longview came to CC to visit us and stayed at the Breakers for a week. As children, it was a special treat to get to go into the curio shops and see what treasures were calling out to us. We still talk about the tatoo shops and the unique artwork people chose to have tatooed on their bodies. The Breakers provided a nice getaway from the summer and we spent several nights in the hotel with our cousins. That siren on the bridge could be heard throughout the entire bayfront, and on Sundays, my father would take us down to watch the bridge raise and lower then we would get a Whataburger. North Beach was a great place to visit as a child in the late 50's and early 60's.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:47 AM

12 posts, read 15,647 times
Smile 2012 - stuff is happening on North Beach

I am a resident, home owner and business owner on North Beach and was delighted to find this forum through a random Google search today.

Most of the comments seem to be positive and hopeful that something will happen here eventually. If you haven't been to North Beach lately, you should come check it out.

A new $2 million restaurant has been built on the beach near the entryway to the beach. "Fajitaville's" ground floor patio bar and dining area is packed pretty much every day and has quickly become the latest hot spot for happy hour. Upstairs, the second floor is a more family friendly restaurant and the third floor is a quiet spot for sipping a cocktail and chatting with a friend while overlooking downtown, the bay and the beach below.

Right behind the Lexington, Pier 99 has expanded its waterfront patio with a "Turtle Bar" and better view of the beach than before.

The Aquarium has added a Splash Park near its entryway, which helped increase its membership. The Lexington museum is still going strong and getting ready to convert its Imax theather to 3D, playing "Legends of Flight" and another "Top Gun" type film.

All of those businesses are on the south half of the beach, which is the commerical area. Meanwhile, the north half is more focused on residential development. The Harbors development, which began in 1985, offers canal living where you have your boat right behind your house and direct access to CC Bay. New houses are still being built there and the ones standing are selling for about $150-$200K.

On the beach side, three big condos built in the mid 1980s are being well-maintained (The Beach Place, The Breakers and Las Brisas). A new cottage development has begun with two new construction cottages and one completely renovated. More are planned. A new playground was installed on the north end, now called Dolphin Park.

Lastly, the neighbors, business leaders and city leaders have been working together over the past 2-3 years to improve the area. Parks & Rec now cleans the beach daily and police patrol it regularly.

Someone mentioned flooding. My property, at 5 feet above sea level near Beach Avenue on the north half of the beach, has not flooded since 1980 - 32 years ago. But every time there is a storm in the Gulf and the stormwater drains fill up with bay water and flood the parts that sit at 2 feet above sea level, TV crews come out and videotape the same low-lying corner near Pier 99 where the streets flood and one old hotel near the highway and report that "The whole of North Beach is flooded" - which is completely false information.

It is not hard to build here - you simply put your house on pilings according to FEMA regulations, just like they do in Rockport and Port Aransas. The problem with North Beach is that people in Corpus do not come over the bridge to experience it, so they hold on to some distant memory of how the beach used to be. The best thing to do is to come check it out. Welcome!

Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 PM

287 posts, read 482,114 times
I will go on record saying Fajitaville has good food, a good atmosphere, and a great view. There need to be more restaurants in CC that take advantage of the one thing we have that other cities don't, the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi