U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 02:36 PM

553 posts, read 856,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanAustin View Post
Do you happen to have any Pics of his art? That was my pappy but I never got to meet him. My dad and granny had his work on them but I don't have any Photos of it. I would love more history about him and the types of tattoos he did. My granny had a self portrait on her back " a very sexy lady wearing a sombrero" .
Thank you.
William Matthews-Bill the Beachcomber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 05:17 PM

553 posts, read 856,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanAustin View Post
Do you happen to have any Pics of his art? That was my pappy but I never got to meet him. My dad and granny had his work on them but I don't have any Photos of it. I would love more history about him and the types of tattoos he did. My granny had a self portrait on her back " a very sexy lady wearing a sombrero" .
Thank you.
I wasn't going to say anything but since you never met him I seem compelled to mention.

I knew Mr. Bill as a kid, when playing with a friend on North Beach, when I was about 12. In the 1980-82 or so period I sometimes had coffee with Bill and his friend "Red", also a retired Merchant Marine. If anyone remembers the little shotgun house on Surfside, adjacent to the North Beach No-Fault Cafe and behind the ally separating it from the old "Lynn Motel", with all the one-gallon tin cans filled with roses in the front yard, that was Red's place. In the early 80's there was a small but intense community of painters, writers, one sculptor, and assorted artist who met, when the notion struck them, at the No-Fault Cafe. Your "Pappy and Red" were esteemed as originals and the old wise men of North Beach.

Those roses came from all over the world - Old Red had collected them over his life. He was a ships cook in the Merchant Marines and just as tough as they come. If you ordered a boxcar load of S.O.B's and when it arrived, only "Red" walked out - you got your monies worth. I spent many early mornings fishing with him - Bill didn't fish much, Red gave them fish. I think I learned some very important things about life from Old Red. And maybe this from your Pappy - When ever I wake up, while coffee is making, I wash my face and comb what's left of my hair- dress neatly - then sometimes, after my second coffee, I go back to bed. Your Pappy and his wife watered Red's roses when he was out of port roaming the world.

Since old Red was a ship's cook he often said this little prayer at the table.

Dominos, Parcheesi, Backgammon with the sign of the cross.

Rust

Old 08-07-2015, 11:25 AM

288 posts, read 483,337 times

Maybe when the new bridge gets built, they'll look towards renovating the area, since they'll have lots of room.
It's not like it hasn't been done before.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:18 AM

550 posts, read 356,879 times
Big development issue on North Beach is that it's in a federal velocity zone(the most stringent flood zone). That means new structures need to be at 14 feet elevation(on piers basically). Some things you can put on a first floor but it's really limited and the first floor has to be specially designed to essentially wash away without creating shrapnel like debris if there is a big storm. Those things steamroll into being more costly than building elsewhere and also being a lot more complicated which means it's hard for inexperienced builders to get a handle on it. The location is good though so I think people will begin to deal with it.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 612 times
Did you ever meet Bill the Beachcomber's daughter Mary. I am doing research into carnivals in 30s and 40s and she appeared in Life magazine as an attraction at Buckeye State Shows. She was 14 and had a number if tattoos done by her father. She stated that she wanted to be a tattooed lady.I would like to know what happened to her and if she achieved her ambition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi