Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:29 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times

Advertisements

I really like the area, but im wondering why it is so underdeveloped
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 08:24 AM

136 posts, read 336,708 times
Yeah I've wondered the same thing too for many years. I guess I could see that area more like a South Beach Miami, but given that progress like that would mean CC would have to step up to the plate and leave it's simpleton ways in the 1970s and evolve, I doubt it will happen. That part of town is nothing more than a tourist trap/mariner drinking ground with the same attractions that were there when I was in 5th grade and visited CC for the first time, again in Sr. year of high school, and again when I moved for college... AND again when I moved away in Oct. 2009.... It hasn't changed a single bit except for gotten even more trashy and lame.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:12 AM

556 posts, read 2,086,788 times
I've always thought the biggest reason that NB isn't more desirable for development, is that the area is QUICK to go completely underwater in the event of a storm surge - which in active years, could happen multiple times in just ONE season......that rising water makes NB completely unaccessible for days.....then the resulting clean-up could take weeks......many grand ideas have been proposed for that area - to include a salt-water water park....but nothing seems to gather any steam to get going. There were several 'game' type businesses under the bridge many years ago - but they just couldn't survive.....very tourist 'season' area as well - summer is good - winter - not so much

Old 12-17-2009, 12:38 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 480,948 times
I guess you youngsters don't remember when North Beach was *really* shady! Back before the Lexington and the Aquarium.

And back before *that* it really was nice....my family would vacation from San Antonio (before I was born) and stay at a hotel called The Breakers, and that say that North Beach was very pleasant back then. I believe there was an amusement park as well. It all got destroyed in a hurricane, and it has been a *long* road back. Rottnboys, I think you're right, it's just too risky of an area to develop. And the histroy bears that out.

Or, you can just sneer arrogantly at the simpleton peasants who are too stooopid to make a go of it. It always come down to sweeping generalizations and insults for some people.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:02 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
North Beach has been "developed" several times.

In the early 1900's it was "THE" place to live. The first Golf course in CC was on N. Beach, as was the beginnings of the Corpus Christi Country Club. The wealthy families were building fine homes on N. Beach and moving from the bluff, which was becoming more commercial.

Then the storm of 1919 hit Corpus. This is what North Beach looked like after the storm.

They tried again .... slowly, North Beach was rebuilt but it was all washed away with the big storms. I remember the Lahala House Restaurant on North Beach back in the 50's-60's. This was maybe the top place to eat in the area. It was washed away in 1967 with Hurricane Beulah. That was the last time (to my knowledge) that independent business tried to build out there. The Sandy Shores hotel and a couple of condo units were built in the 60's - all surviving but under different names now. It just has not proven to be a very viable building site.

Several structures are built to survive the storms like the Texas Aquarium, but it is expensive to do it. It would take a LOT of money to build on an area that is known to have little to no protection. Quite a gamble at this point. I would love to see the amusement park that is often talked about in Corpus on N. Beach but I don't think it can be built to withstand the storms.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:45 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,833,949 times
North Beach is comming back slowly, I remember cement slabs back in the 70's.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:43 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
My parents (born in 1923 and 1925) used to love to describe North Beach when they were growing up. It had an amusement park and a salt water swimming pool. Not sure if a hurricane took those out, or if interest just shifted to the other side of the ship channel.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the movie Raggedy Man with Sissy Spacek was set in Gregory, Texas during WWII and has a scene that was supposed to have taken place on a boardwalk on North Beach. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I think that's right.

Last edited by Marlow; 12-18-2009 at 07:52 AM..

Old 12-18-2009, 06:43 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,003 times
Not exactly North Beach, but a water park may be in the works around the Harbor Bridge area. Could this be the beginning of something.... ??

Ian

Old 12-18-2009, 08:46 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 480,948 times
More like the continuation of something.....Whataburger Field, Museums, Harbor Playhouse, American Bank Center, Ortiz Center.....

Old 12-19-2009, 07:43 AM

484 posts, read 1,631,083 times
Quote:

And back before *that* it really was nice....my family would vacation from San Antonio (before I was born) and stay at a hotel called The Breakers, and that say that North Beach was very pleasant back then. I believe there was an amusement park as well. It all got destroyed in a hurricane, and it has been a *long* road back. Rottnboys, I think you're right, it's just too risky of an area to develop. And the histroy bears that out.
I remember "The Breakers" hotel on North Beach. We stayed there once when my family vacationed in CC back in the late 40's or early 50's. I remember it as a pretty nice place,,, too bad it got destroyed by a 'cane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi