U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 04:13 PM

8 posts, read 46,630 times

Advertisements

I know there are numerous posts regarding transplanting to the area but none addressed a couple of my questions so here goes. Family is moving to Corpus Christi area for husbands job. We don't know anything about the area and will need to look for a house fairly soon. We love boating and are drawn to waterfront/canal front homes so any ideas would be welcome. We also have a grown son who is developmentally disabled, high functioning but doesn't drive. Need to know about public transportation or areas to live on the water but still convenient for him to ride his bike to shopping or work. I am sure it's not possible but my ideal house would be somewhere I would be able to keep my 2 horses in addition to having water/boating, etc. I look forward to any ideas you have. Thanks!!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 07:57 AM

484 posts, read 1,453,541 times
Horses are going to make things difficult, but not impossible. There's still some horse properties on the southside of Yorktown, I remember seeing a few places on the back side of the Naval station runways recently. That would be in Oso bay area, not quite Flower Bluff, but almost.

Public transportation for your son would be a problem there however. All of the roads are two lane with no sidewalks and fairly high traffic volumes, so biking for a disabled youngster might not be a good thing. I live on the south side of Saratoga and 10 years ago this area would have been ideal for you, but it's all developed now. Public transportation is better closer in, say along Staples Ave. I don't personally use the bus system so I may not be the best qualified to comment, however I see the bus/trolly running there frequently.

Welcome to CC.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:16 AM

1,986 posts, read 1,554,178 times
Those horse properties on the southside of yorktown are extreme in price ,, I mean extreme .$500,000.00 + for a house and and 5 or under acres.
I just passed up a barn with 5 acres on it in Rockport for around $90.000 because I travel too much and it didnt have a home/trailer on it but it is a fabulous older barn ... I used to board there 20 years ago and is still available but is a LONG commute to CC. I actually think she would take a 70,000 offer. I lived in Rockport for 20 years off and on ,mostly when i would be showing alot and would have to leave Port Aransas to be closer to the horses . It is really a water-y community ,boating , fishing ,all kinds of water stuff and not so dangerous to ride your bike,two of my sons would skateboard there and in Port A to work,,anywhere else I would be too afraid ,,, but I think Rockport still has their in town bus service but you have to call them to get on the schedule , I used to have that number but I see if I can find it again.. it is just for Rockport with a special run if you need to go to CC.

My husband works at NAS and we live in Port Aransas . I keep my two horses at a boarding stable in the bluff , it is for sale but is so expensive( 100+ acres) that it will be a LONG time before it sells I am SURE I will be there for an extended period , if not, there are also two other public boarding facilities in Flour Bluff/southside and one or two more with an AQHA trainer in Flour Bluff and boarding with a H/J stable in Calallen ( but you must train/take lessons there ).. one in AP and one Rockport ... there are two public buses here in Port A that go to Corpus ,, one leaves at 7:30 am and comes back at 9:45 ish ( I take this one all the time 2.50 round trip for an able bodied adult , not sure about handicapped or child as I am usually totally exhausted from getting our youngest daughter off to school when I get on it ) and the other one leaves here at 10 am and doesnt return until 3 PM but you can branch off of it to the other CC buses .

I am in kinda sorta frail health for my age and because of this even I have been seriously considering a move into Corpus ,,and I LOVE Port A but it is a 50+ mile round trip to work with the horses and my dr's are in down town CC plus my daughter takes with a trainer in the Bluff so I am really worn out.

I have also lived on Padre for a 3 year period and did leave because there is no public transport at all EXCEPT for the disabled , you must call them though with your schedule and they will come to your house ,, Call the Corpus Christi B-Line and they will let you know if your son qualifies for services
(361)883-2287 is the customer service number.

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 12-19-2009 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: spelling : my poor horses aren't hores

Old 12-19-2009, 04:48 PM

8 posts, read 46,630 times
Thanks soooooo much for the info. I have a feeling I might have to do something else with the horses and just concentrate on a house on the water (to make life better for husband since he works so hard). I will check out Port A and Rockport regarding public trans for son. So many ways to go I just need to be realistic and not have the horses at the house. I was spoiled for 10 years in the Colorado mountains on 17 acres. Glad to hear you like living in Port A because when I visited there last month it had the smaller town feel that I prefer. However, I am sure it can be brutal during tourist season, huh? Thanks again.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:58 PM

304 posts, read 1,051,495 times
Check out Flour Bluff for small acreage and you can have horses on your property. There is bus service from Flour Bluff into corpus every 25 minutes Monday thru Saturday. The Flour Bluff business district is being totally rebuilt. We built one home on Flour Bluff 2 years ago and building another home starting next month this time with acreage. Bike riding is a problem in a large part of Corpus and surrounding areas, however, all buses have bike rakes on them so you can take your bike with you to an area that is bike friendly.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:46 AM

2,601 posts, read 7,806,227 times
If you say Aransas County and particularly the south part - south of Rockport, you will find plenty of acreage for horses, and you will still be in ACISD which is a great school district. I live in this area and its 24 milies and about 25 minutes from the courthouse in Nueces County.

On the island there is also acreage - but south of Port A. Think its not as good a buy as Rockport but it too is cheaper than it has been in a while.

Flour Bluff has a mix of "Bluff Rats' and regular residents. I've been hearing lately about crime and unsafe streets from a few residents,however the opinions of a few should not be counted as scientific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi