U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 11:20 AM

19 posts, read 29,433 times

Advertisements

We're planning to move from Boston to Corpus in late spring and wondering whether living in downtown CC would be attractive. Are there nice condos or apartments in the area? What about nightlife and restaurants, or does downtown close up at night? We're also interested in cultural activies and any suggestions you have about theater, art, music in CC.

Last edited by calixto; 01-19-2010 at 11:54 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 11:16 PM

17,031 posts, read 28,028,337 times
I was wondering the same, I have a friend that is debating getting a condo down there so we can do long weekends from Houston. We are 30s-40 looking to unwind, cocktail and fish w/o driving much. Is Corpus good or should we look at Pt. A?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:54 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,843,440 times
Housing is available downtown. The Bay Vista apartments are a couple of years old and I know they have a website. There are also some condo buildings--some old and some recently refurbished. As far as night life goes, there are some bars--the Executive Surf club has been there for many years, has live music and does a big happy hour, at least on the weekends. There's also a place called Aria and a bar across from the Surf Club--can't remember the name. I'm also pretty sure that Doctor Rockets is still open. For dining, there's a Vietnamese restaurant, a Thai restaurant, a couple of seafood places and a couple of diners. There's a good coffee shop--Agua Java.

I can't really comment on the nightlife scene other than that because I don't do much of that anymore. The seawall, which is a block from "downtown" on the bayfront has lots of people on it at night when the weather is warm. People walk, jog, skate and hang out. It's a mixture of tourists and locals.

If I were young, I would definitely consider living downtown, because it's walkable, it's quirky and the bayfront is right there. But, if I were hoping to meet 20-somethings, I might opt for one of the big apartment complexes on the southside.

Last edited by Marlow; 01-20-2010 at 09:17 AM..

Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 AM

As far as the arts, there's a community theater called the Harbor Playhouse that almost always has something going on. Broadway-ish touring shows also come through town. CC has a symphony, two ballet companies (not vouching for the talent there--I have no idea), a well-regarded art museum and a couple of galleries downtown. Local and regional groups play at the Surf Club--blues, country, rock, etc., and maybe elsewhere. Larger national groups come through also--Carrie Underwood, Sheryl Crow, Taylor Swift, Snoop Dogg, Santana, Nickleback all have either played or are scheduled to play here. We also saw Stomp here and a truly awesome Brazilian dance ensemble whose name I can't recall right now. And some of those Cirque de Whatever shows have come through town as well.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:19 PM

136 posts, read 310,076 times
Yes there is downtown living. Yes there are more modern-"ish" condo developments... There is sort of a night life. All of which are abysmal at best. You will be bored quick and feel like you have experienced it all in about a month if not sooner.

Sat. night is about the only decent night. Others are hit and miss. Bars are mostly empty other nights of the week. I've been out just about every night. Surf Club is pretty good on Tuesday for pint night. Overall, the 'night life' down there is generally confined to one or two blocks and there is lots of bums.

Of course I must disclaim my viewpoint is that of a professional 20 something, coming from Austin, TX.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
Yes there is downtown living. Yes there are more modern-"ish" condo developments... There is sort of a night life. All of which are abysmal at best. You will be bored quick and feel like you have experienced it all in about a month if not sooner.

Sat. night is about the only decent night. Others are hit and miss. Bars are mostly empty other nights of the week. I've been out just about every night. Surf Club is pretty good on Tuesday for pint night. Overall, the 'night life' down there is generally confined to one or two blocks and there is lots of bums.

Of course I must disclaim my viewpoint is that of a professional 20 something, coming from Austin, TX.
Off topic, but didn't you move? I thought you were back in the Hill Country somewhere.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:58 AM

136 posts, read 310,076 times
I moved back to Austin, yes. But while I was in Corpus for over six years, I did find myself attempting to make the best out of what it DID have for nightlife which isn't much. Mostly bombed out and lifeless (except for Saturday nights), downtown is.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
I moved back to Austin, yes. But while I was in Corpus for over six years, I did find myself attempting to make the best out of what it DID have for nightlife which isn't much. Mostly bombed out and lifeless (except for Saturday nights), downtown is.
Gotcha. Your location still says "Portland,TX" and that was throwing me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi