Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:51 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
Ozzy,

Not that it matters, but fishing boats tend to be flat bottomed and somewhat shallow draft, (it spreads the weight over a broad area and doesn't sink very deep in the water). Sailboats OTOH, are slim and have to have a keel, (usually weighted, think of a deep fin underwater), that extends down into the water several feet below the waterline, this provides lateral stability to keep them from being blown sideways when the winds are across the beam, or tipping over in a stiff breeze. Larger sailboats and shallow sandbars don't go well together.
I had no idea that the bay was so shallow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 09:22 PM

43 posts, read 242,366 times
Thanks for the reply, jbtx. No offense intended and I certainly wasn't suggesting Texans are one thing or another. It's just that based on the statistics at this website and others, Rockport, for example, has a lot of registered sex offenders. It's not a statistic I'd have gone looking for, but it's one that they include on these types of sites.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:19 AM

484 posts, read 1,631,534 times
Wow~!

I just did a Google search on "Megan's Law" and "sex offenders",,, a real eye opener for those of us who believe we should keep our kids safe. I had never actually even thought about these bad people before. Like most parents, I thought most adults think the same way I do,,, i.e., that children are to be loved and protected from harm.

Guess what, I thought wrong. There are lots of bad people out there.

For example; there are more registered sex offender in the county of Los Angles, California, than there are people in San Patricio County Texas. I believe Rockport is in San Patricio Cty., San Patricio County has 140 sex offenders on record; ( https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DP...rchType=County. ) LA county has over 11,000 registered sex offenders. I'm glad I didn't try to raise a family there.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:50 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Per capita, this area has a lot of registered sex offenders. I don't know if there are just a lot more here than other places, or if registration requirements are different, or enforced more stringently, or what. We had a registered sex offender living on our street for a few years. He had been convicted of exposing himself to a kid. His probation officers were very vigilant and responsive anytime anyone called in to report if he was acting out of line.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:25 PM

6 posts, read 15,000 times
Corpus Christi bay isn't that shallow, mostly being about 12' deep. If you visit, you'll notice that the marina is full of sailboats, many of which draw 6' or more, that sail the bay without any problem. Not that much different from Galveston bay. We've sailed out of Corpus Christi for years. Just beyond the bay, the Lydia Ann channel is broad and easy, and takes you to Pt Aransas and then out to the gulf if you want. If you take the ICW through Aransas Pass, it gets narrow and shoal on either side, and can be sailed only when the wind is right.

Not saying I haven't run aground. But I've heard rumors of sailors running aground almost everywhere. ;-)

Last edited by rturpin; 03-31-2010 at 09:45 PM..

Old 05-10-2010, 02:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Wow~!

I just did a Google search on "Megan's Law" and "sex offenders",,, a real eye opener for those of us who believe we should keep our kids safe. I had never actually even thought about these bad people before. Like most parents, I thought most adults think the same way I do,,, i.e., that children are to be loved and protected from harm.

Guess what, I thought wrong. There are lots of bad people out there.

For example; there are more registered sex offender in the county of Los Angles, California, than there are people in San Patricio County Texas. I believe Rockport is in San Patricio Cty., San Patricio County has 140 sex offenders on record; ( https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DP...rchType=County. ) LA county has over 11,000 registered sex offenders. I'm glad I didn't try to raise a family there.
That is NOT correct. Rockport is in Aransas County. If you look at the MAP function on that website that you referenced you will see that the majority of the sex crimes on that data base belong to Corpus Christi. If you use the same map to look at Rockport, you will find very few there.

https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DP...rchType=County

Old 05-10-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Good answers everyone,,, however, the questioner mentioned sailing. Sailing around CC means pretty much being confined to the ICW, our bays are too shallow to accommodate a sailboat big enough to hold a family with 7 kids.
I kept my sailboat in Rockport for 3 years, it had a 4.5' draft. Most of Aransas and CC Bay is navigable in a sailboat with a 6' draft. One rarely ever sails in the Intercoastal Waterway unless the wind directions are perfect. Most of the sailing is on the bays or gulf.

Once you sail south of CC there is very little navigable water even in the wider bay areas unless you have a draft of only 2'-3'. North of CC most of the bays are navigable Except Copano Bay north of Aransas Bay at Rockport/Fulton. This shows you the effect of silting in the Bays, because Historically Copano Bay was where most of the ship traffic to San Antonio made landfall, over at Bayside. When Mexico first sent soldiers to put down the Texican Revolution, they sailed their ships into Copano Bay to Bayside.

Quote:
Texas Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia In early 1835, as the Mexican government transitioned from a federalist model to centralism, wary colonists in Texas began forming Committees of Correspondence and Safety. A central committee in San Felipe de Austin coordinated their activities.[12] The Texians staged a minor revolt against customs duties in June; these Anahuac Disturbances prompted Mexican President Antonio López de Santa Anna to send additional troops to Texas.[13] In July, Colonel Nicolas Condelle led 200 men to reinforce Presidio La Bahía.
The following month, a contingent of soldiers arrived in Béxar with Colonel Domingo de Ugartechea.[14] Fearing that stronger measures were needed to quell the unrest, Santa Anna ordered his brother-in-law, General Martín Perfecto de Cos to "repress with strong arm all those who, forgetting their duties to the nation which has adopted them as her children, are pushing forward with a desire to live at their own option without subjection to the laws".[13] Cos landed at Copano Bay on September 20 with approximately 500 soldiers.[14]

Old 02-23-2011, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,755 times
I am writing from San Antonio, Texas, and I'm tiring to fine a sailing school in Rockport. Can anyone please reply with a school or two in the immediate area - and maybe a contact number. Thank you kindly. JS.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Salinas View Post
I am writing from San Antonio, Texas, and I'm tiring to fine a sailing school in Rockport. Can anyone please reply with a school or two in the immediate area - and maybe a contact number. Thank you kindly. JS.
I am not aware of one in Rockport. There is however one in Corpus.

Yachting Center of Corpus Christi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi