Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:38 PM

43 posts, read 242,395 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We've nearly had enough of the mild (cool) climate of the Pacific Northwest and are looking at the Texas coast as a possible new home. Our priorities are as follows:

1. Safe family friendly town
2. Some nautical heritage, sailing community, etc.
3. Moderate cost of living and home prices--hopefully much cheaper than Western Washington.
4. Pefer funky, artsy type towns to strip malls and the like.

We work from our home and can pretty much bring our own jobs with us.

Would really appreciate feedback!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 AM

276 posts, read 805,392 times
You will want Galveston then.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:03 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
You should just do a swing up the Texas coast starting at South Padre Island and going up past Galveston. You could do it in a week, or less if you do some school district/individual school research and narrow it down a bit. There are several where you can find what you're looking for.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:08 PM

135 posts, read 498,997 times
corpus christi or the surrounding communities would be your best bet. galveston is a shell of its former self after being hit by the last hurricane. i was recently there.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:03 AM

13 posts, read 34,069 times
Galveston is nice, but as was already said....the hurricane has set it back some. If you can handle not being directly on the coast (Galveston is an island)...about 20 minutes away from Galveston is Kemah/Clear Lake. They have plenty of activities/shopping on the water, and the homes are nicer than you might find in Galveston. Good Luck in your move!!

Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 AM

276 posts, read 805,392 times
Ahh but more the reason to Move to Galveston. help repopulate it and rebuild it to a better place.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:02 AM

491 posts, read 1,261,529 times
I'd vote for Corpus Christi right now, because of Galveston's rebuilding situation. Galveston might be a good choice down the road.

But, you would really want to visit and check out Corpus to see if you like it. I'd stay there for several weeks if you could afford it. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

I wish Texas coastal towns were more appealing. I worked in Galveston for 5 years (before the storm hit) and thought it was interesting and attractive in some ways, but it had problems with housing projects and a lot of seedy areas. Also, the schools situation in Galveston is not great. The west end was ok (mostly beach houses), but you start to get further away from the convenience of major grocery stores, etc. I never could bring myself to live in Galveston.

I lived in Clear Lake for 15 years and personally think it's one of the truly great areas to live anywhere in the U.S. But, it's not really the coast--more like living on or close to a bay front (which is what it really is).

Beaumont is . . .well, I'm not going say anything about it.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:58 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,521,563 times
Galveston has an area called "The Jungle" around midtown because its notorious for crack and crime. Corpus has low educational attainment and gangs. Ingleside and Rockport are nicer with better schools, both have waterfront that's pretty cheap now,especially Rockport. Port Lavaca is ok with some waterfront-its a bit more isolated though, its schools are pretty good.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:54 PM

135 posts, read 498,997 times
i don't agree with the low education attainment part unless you have some hard evidence backing up your statement comparing it to every other city. the gangs are relative to EVERY urban setting, so you comment does not hold water. i would surely have to disagree about rockport waterfront being cheap, i was looking for a retirement lot to build on and rockport was far from "cheap". the only nice part to rockport is the waterfront area, the rest is marginal at best. dont get me wrong, i love rockport, but it it pales in comparison to CC.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:21 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,264 times
I think your best bet would be Rockport, if you are wanting to be fairly near Corpus Christi. It has pretty much everything your original post had asked for. Cost of living anywhere here on the Coastal Bend, I have no doubt, is considerably cheaper than what you would find in Western Washington. I hope that helps!

Ian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi