U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:58 PM

208 posts, read 377,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm just familiar with Corpus Christi. Many years ago I lived in Brownsville and spent a lot of time on South Padre Island, but it's been so long I wouldn't be able to say anything about rents in those places.
Lately, I'd been thinking about Brownsville too. After this winter, climate is even more of an issue for me, so even a difference of 164 miles is significant and I want to be as close to the coast as possible, (I expect rents are way too high in Port Isabel and South Padre, being such tourist industry towns). On city-data's detailed profile of Brownsville, the rents seemed to be quite a bit less than Corpus Christi, (less than just about anywhere, really). McAllen and Harlingen and to a lesser extent, Brownsville have gotten a lot of national media attention lately, (last several years), for solid current and future projected job growth. So, all things considered, Brownsville is looking pretty good to me.

Funny thing though, when I looked at Brownsville rentals on craigslist, it showed pretty much only apartments in Brownsville itself. Of course, I much prefer a small house, so this might turn out to be a deciding factor. There were plenty of listings for houses in Harlingen, McAllen and surrounding areas and even in smaller towns around Brownsville. So I think, "it's odd that for a city its size, Brownsville seems to have no houses for rent". Then, I remembered that craiglist is basically a snapshot of what is available now, not the entire market. I know it's been awhile since you were there but did you have a sense that there were a decent supply of rent houses in Brownsville?

Do any of the television stations in the Corpus Christi area have something like a "crime tracker page" on their website where you can compare the crime rates and types of crime by neighborhood? I visited the websites for Channels 6 and 10 but couldn't find anything like that on either site.

Last edited by I. B. Trippin; 03-02-2010 at 09:11 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 08:19 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,830,628 times
I don't know about the television stations, but you might try the City of CC webpage and/or the police department webpage. They may break down the crime stats by neighborhood. I do know that the crime stats for CC are always high and rape is alarmingly high--but I'm not sure why. I don't know if there is truly a higher incidence of rape here, or if domestic-violence related incidents are reported as sexual assault more often than other communities, or what. I've never felt afraid at all and I and many of my friends and neighbors run, cycle and walk dogs at all hours and no one ever complains of being threatened or afraid.

When I lived in Brownsville, there were houses for rent, but again, that was 25 years ago. You also should not discount SPI or PI without looking around a bit. That's a quirky area and you might be surprised at what you find. Although it's very touristy, the border area is still poor. Sometimes things are available that you wouldn't find elsewhere.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:48 PM

208 posts, read 377,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I don't know about the television stations, but you might try the City of CC webpage and/or the police department webpage. They may break down the crime stats by neighborhood. I do know that the crime stats for CC are always high and rape is alarmingly high--but I'm not sure why. I don't know if there is truly a higher incidence of rape here, or if domestic-violence related incidents are reported as sexual assault more often than other communities, or what. I've never felt afraid at all and I and many of my friends and neighbors run, cycle and walk dogs at all hours and no one ever complains of being threatened or afraid.

When I lived in Brownsville, there were houses for rent, but again, that was 25 years ago. You also should not discount SPI or PI without looking around a bit. That's a quirky area and you might be surprised at what you find. Although it's very touristy, the border area is still poor. Sometimes things are available that you wouldn't find elsewhere.
Yes, I did find the City of Corpus Christi website and a page which breaks down the city by districts and provides crime rates for each district/police beat within each district. Thank you. For anyone else who may be interested in this information, the link for that page is as follows: Official web site for City of Corpus Christi, Texas

You just click on your district from the map or click on the hyperlinked letters/numbers for your district/police beat below the map and it will take you to a page with a map of your district/police beats. Click on the map section for your police beat or on the letter/number hyperlink which represents your neighborhood/police beat and it will take you to a page with a map of your neighborhood/police beat and crime statistics, by type of crime, for the years 1993 through 2005.

I think the neighborhood we've been discussing, lies primarily within District C, Police Beat C20, though it appears that it may also include parts of C30 and perhaps, C10. This, along with the anecdotal information you've provided, definitely helps to put the crime situation in perspective.

I really am very interested in PI/SPI, if I could find something affordable there, and of course, keeping in mind the 23 mile commute to work in Brownsville. I had guessed that it might be, as you say, a quirky [rental market] area but my internet research thus far, had convinced me that everything is expensive due to the heavy emphasis on tourism. Still, common sense would tell me that tourism is somewhat seasonal and landlords/landladies need a steady flow of income to offset their invesments. I realize that there's only so much info you can get from the internet and even that has to be strained and filtered quite a bit. Anyway, bottom line is, there's nothing like being there and getting the info firsthand.

Again, you've been a huge help, Marlow. Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi