U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:23 PM

208 posts, read 377,522 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently evaluating several relocation candidates and trying to narrow my choices to a workable list of places to visit. Cost of living and specifically, rental rates, are of vital importance.

In order to evaluate areas in this regard, I've been using the city-data.com detailed profiles for each of my candidates. However, recently a participant on the General U.S. forum who lives in another of my candidates, told me that the average rents I'd quoted from that city's detailed profile were much too low - anywhere from $400-600 too low.

So, now I'm wondering if I may need to reassess my method of determining what sort of cost of living I might be facing when I move. Maybe the website's data is outdated. Maybe I'm misreading the information provided there. On the other hand, maybe the abovementioned participant's viewpoint is skewed by his relatively high income level.

In posting here, I'm hoping to gain the benefit of the experiences of those who live in Corpus Christi or are otherwise familiar with current rental rates there. I have copied and pasted the following excerpt from the city-data.com detailed profile for Corpus Christi. Can you tell me if these figures are up-to-date and accurate?

//www.city-data.com/housing/hou...sti-Texas.html

Median contract rent in 2008: $617 (lower quartile is $490, upper quartile is $790)

Btw, I have tried to obtain accurate cost of living figures by using websites which feature cost of living calculators and salary calculators, only to find that the figures provided vary dramatically from one site to the next.

Anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 08:08 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,820,596 times
If rents are higher than that, I don't think it's by much. Of course, it's always going to depend on where you want to live, and the square footage and amenities. I know you're looking at averages though, so I'd say overall those are close.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
If rents are higher than that, I don't think it's by much. Of course, it's always going to depend on where you want to live, and the square footage and amenities. I know you're looking at averages though, so I'd say overall those are close.
Thank you, Marlow.

Yes, you are right. At this point, I'm just trying to get a good, general overview of the market in order to narrow down my unwieldly list of candidates into a workable list of finalists I can visit.

Ideally, I would like a small, two bedroom house that is either close to the beach or a vibrant nightlife scene. As of my only visit to Corpus Christi, 7 1/2 years ago, the cost of living information would seem to support the rental cost figures in city-data's detailed profile. If need be, I am willing to compromise a bit on my criteria but the comparatively lower cost of living and ability to afford more in terms of living quarters is the primary means by which I'm considering the Corpus Christi on a somewhat equal footing with my other candidates. So, while I might be willing to travel a bit further to the beach or nightlife, I will remain firm on the type of housing.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 12,242 times
If you want to get a good feel for home/apartment rental rates here in Corpus, I suggest using Craigslist. I live in a 2/2 apartment and pay $1050 - no bills paid. There are "cheaper" apartments around but they aren't in what I'd consider safe areas or, they are filled with the college kids. A 2+ bedroom home on the island (aka: near the beach) will run you about $1400+ per month based on my searches for something similar. IMO - There really isn't much in the way nightlife here, expect for crime (you can find the recent report from one of the local news channels regarding this). There are a few nice bars in the downtown area, but you'll be pan-handled from the time you exit your car until you're in the establishment and I avoid it purely because of the high number of homeless there.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTG1 View Post
If you want to get a good feel for home/apartment rental rates here in Corpus, I suggest using Craigslist. I live in a 2/2 apartment and pay $1050 - no bills paid. There are "cheaper" apartments around but they aren't in what I'd consider safe areas or, they are filled with the college kids. A 2+ bedroom home on the island (aka: near the beach) will run you about $1400+ per month based on my searches for something similar. IMO - There really isn't much in the way nightlife here, expect for crime (you can find the recent report from one of the local news channels regarding this). There are a few nice bars in the downtown area, but you'll be pan-handled from the time you exit your car until you're in the establishment and I avoid it purely because of the high number of homeless there.
Wow! Thanks LTG1, good info to have!

I had avoided using craigslist exclusively for now in most of my candidates because, in most cases, I don't know the neighborhoods yet. In other words, on any given day, I might see several high rent figures or low rent figures and think that they are representative of the entire market, when in fact, they only represent what is available in a specific neighborhood on that date. That is why I've been trying to find a reliable site for averages over the scope of a whole metro area or market. However, I think that in a smaller city like Corpus Christi and especially since I kind of know how it is laid out because of a brief visit in the past, I could make better use of craigslist here and I will give it a shot. Thanks again for that suggestion.

I'm looking at craigslist now and the rents really seem to be all over the place. I'm guessing that is because of the wide variety of neighborhoods. Is the downtown area dangerous? I see something the right size and rent right around Edgewood Park. Is that an okay area?

I don't mind being panhandled a bit, if the nightlife is worth it but it appears that may not be the case.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:51 PM

I had to Google "Edgewood Park" and while it's probably an okay area, it wouldn't be much fun. I think that area would have lots of families and be fairly lower income.

Small houses in my neighborhood (5 mins. from downtown, 4 blocks from the water, 20 mins. to Padre Island) are usually 900 to 1,000/ mo. There's a house for rent right now on S. Morningside. It appears to be newly refurbished. If you run across it on Craigslist, it will probably give you an idea of the high end of the rent scale in this neighborhood.

Feel free to keep asking about particular properties or areas. That's probably easier than going by the wide-ranging statistics.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I had to Google "Edgewood Park" and while it's probably an okay area, it wouldn't be much fun. I think that area would have lots of families and be fairly lower income.

Small houses in my neighborhood (5 mins. from downtown, 4 blocks from the water, 20 mins. to Padre Island) are usually 900 to 1,000/ mo. There's a house for rent right now on S. Morningside. It appears to be newly refurbished. If you run across it on Craigslist, it will probably give you an idea of the high end of the rent scale in this neighborhood.

Feel free to keep asking about particular properties or areas. That's probably easier than going by the wide-ranging statistics.
Thanks Marlow.

I didn't see anything on craigslist specifically labeled as being on S. Morningside and I wasn't able to find that street on mapquest. Relying on my somewhat fuzzy memory of my visit 7 1/2 years ago, I was driving south on Ocean Dr. and there seem to be some mental notes I'd made about areas with the following boundaries: south of either Louisiana Ave. or Doddridge Rd. and east of S. Staples St. but north of Airline Rd. I believe it may have been more like between Doddridge on the north and the Seaside Memorial Park on the south but that would severely limit the scope and I don't want to overlook any great neighborhoods nearby. Anyway, I turned right off Ocean Dr., (which is west, I believe), and drove into that neighborhood on a hunch and sure enough, within a quarter to a half mile, the more spectacular houses seemed to give way to some smaller houses which, while nice enough, could be categorized as "fixer-uppers" and I seem to remember being pleasantly surprised at seeing some "For Rent" signs in front of one or two. Any idea of typical rents for a "weathered-looking" house in that area?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:45 AM

You have a good memory! The area you describe is where we live. I know the house next door to us rents for $1,000/mo and it's a 3 br/1.5 bath with a nice front and back yard and garage. There are other 2/1's in the area. Also there are duplexes and 4-plexes that might work for you. I'm guessing rents would be in the $600-$1,000/mo. range.

I'm going to DM you with some more detailed info and links from Craigslist.

Last edited by Marlow; 03-02-2010 at 08:07 AM..

Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
You have a good memory! The area you describe is where we live. I know the house next door to us rents for $1,000/mo and it's a 3 br/1.5 bath with a nice front and back yard and garage. There are other 2/1's in the area. Also there are duplexes and 4-plexes that might work for you. I'm guessing rents would be in the $600-$1,000/mo. range.

I'm going to DM you with some more detailed info and links from Craigslist.

Yes, the 2/1s are the ones I want and a duplex or 4-plex could work too. Thanks for the DM and detailed info! Looks very promising, so far.

Are you familiar with the whole southwest coastal area, or just Corpus Christi?

Old 03-02-2010, 12:41 PM

I'm just familiar with Corpus Christi. Many years ago I lived in Brownsville and spent a lot of time on South Padre Island, but it's been so long I wouldn't be able to say anything about rents in those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi