U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 09:57 AM

60 posts, read 166,099 times

Advertisements

Will we need to speak fluent Spanish to live and work there? My husband has an opportunity to open a retail store there. Is the coast there nice enough to take family to enjoy a day at the beach?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 11:45 AM

484 posts, read 1,451,852 times
Quote from the city's web site:

Palacios, Texas

Although I haven't been there for several years, I doubt it has changed much. Just a sleepy little shrimping/fishing town. Not too bad as a place to raise a family, probably very little crime and not too much to negatively influence children.

As I recall it, has a nice beach area right near town and the fishing in the nearby bay was good. The Brazos River empties into the gulf there.

You will probably not need to speak Spanish there, most of the inhabitants are of polish/eastern European extraction. we used to call them "bohunks".

I'd live there.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:05 PM

3,640 posts, read 7,081,599 times
I spent a weekend there. It's a good place to get away from the city. It's a bit worn down, but seemed like a nice place to be. I saw lots of families gathering at their park, and loads of families gathering on the bay in front of the Luther Hotel where we stayed. You will not need to know Spanish there. I didn't hear a word of Spanish and we went to the restaurant, store, and drove around downtown. I liked it there.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
Quote from the city's web site:

Palacios, Texas

Although I haven't been there for several years, I doubt it has changed much. Just a sleepy little shrimping/fishing town. Not too bad as a place to raise a family, probably very little crime and not too much to negatively influence children.

As I recall it, has a nice beach area right near town and the fishing in the nearby bay was good. The Brazos River empties into the gulf there.

You will probably not need to speak Spanish there, most of the inhabitants are of polish/eastern European extraction. we used to call them "bohunks".

I'd live there.
Thanks so much for the info....sounds like a nice place!

Old 03-10-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I spent a weekend there. It's a good place to get away from the city. It's a bit worn down, but seemed like a nice place to be. I saw lots of families gathering at their park, and loads of families gathering on the bay in front of the Luther Hotel where we stayed. You will not need to know Spanish there. I didn't hear a word of Spanish and we went to the restaurant, store, and drove around downtown. I liked it there.
OK...I appreciate the comments!

Old 03-20-2010, 09:56 AM

2,601 posts, read 7,801,767 times
I drive through often enough- and the above descriptions are accurate. My guess is most people would drive to Port Lavaca to get what they need. Palacios is isolated.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:03 PM

16,772 posts, read 43,260,193 times
Palacious, population 5153, is a nice quiet family town. It is a pretty small place but would probably welcome a retail store of any kind. Yet, without researching it carefully, I'd be hesitant to invest much of my own money in starting up a new business there. If there is a large company like HEB behind it, it would be worth considering as an employee. It is out of the way, not many visitors or tourists, so you are pretty much relying on the locals to keep your business afloat. And the residents don't have much extra money to spend. It had better be a business that provides something essential to the community. The biggest economic plus for the area is probably the STP Nuclear Power Plant which offers study employment, and from what I read will be expanding soon, bringing more construction and trade workers into the area, for awhile.

//pics2.city-data.com/hin2008/25237.png (broken link)g

Education levels are lower then most of the state in all age groups.

It offers recreational opportunities, but not anything that isn't available at several more desirable places along the coast. The bay water is pretty muddy brown, but does have good fishing and boating. You have to be very careful sailing as there are lots of shallows, most of which are soft sand, but there are dangerous structures such as well heads, etc. one also has to dodge. The community has a very nice marina and public park. You will definitely want to buy a boat. The bays and intercoastal waterway are a lot of fun to explore. Parts of it are very shallow so need to always be aware of where you are. That is easier with GPS these days.

If you drive East to Matagorda there is a road you can take to get out on the beach on the Gulf of Mexico. The Gulf water has less silt in it but along the beaches it is still far from clear, but still offers you a great beach experience in an area that is not heavily used yet. But also not many restaruants or amenities either.

Weather, I should mention that the area does sometimes have to evacuate for hurricanes. It has high humidity and temperatures, with little wind during the hottest time of the year to help make the heat bearable.

Port Lavaca, population 11432, is another nice place to raise a family, is very close by and offers a little more.

Victoria, 63,000, is significantly larger and only 56 miles away and has several larger stores.

Corpus Christi is only 76 miles away and I'm sure has everything you could possibly need, and if not there is always Houston, 110 miles away.

//www.city-data.com/city/Palacios-Texas.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Port-Lavaca-Texas.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Victoria-Texas.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Corpus-Christi-Texas.html

Last edited by CptnRn; 03-25-2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old 03-26-2010, 05:18 AM

9,353 posts, read 17,856,280 times
actually sounds pretty good to me......

wish i was already there......

Old 03-26-2010, 08:34 AM

8,308 posts, read 35,841,475 times
Palacios is great if you have a large mineral estate to manage nearby and love to fish. Could get boring if you are at all indoorsy or a committed metropolitan.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:54 PM

922 posts, read 1,316,619 times
Blue Sky: you might want to correct the spelling of the town's name in the thread title; it is Palacios. There is no Palacious, TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or